JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Comment on Dillon Customer Service---

After 100k+ rounds on my XL-650 I actually had a part wear out. The spring that pushes the fresh case into the shell plate broke. Since I invested in the "Spare Parts Kit" some time ago, I merely replaced it and kept on loading. While doing some clean-up I noticed that the pice the spring "pushed" had a crack in one of the "ears".

Gave Dillon a call and figured I'd replace this and get another spring for my spare's kit. They placed my order and then refused to take my Credit Card Number when I offered it. They would not let me pay for the parts even though I said they more likely than not wore out rather than failed under warranty. No dice, they wouldn't take my money, not even to cover the shipping.

With Customer Service like that, why buy anything else.

BTW, as for the Spare Parts Kit, best $25 investment I've ever made. So far, the spring is the only item I have needed after all those loads. Maybe just having the other little springs, cams, and levers on the shelf is kind of a Voodoo Good Luck Charm. (along with regular cleaning and lubing).

I just drank the blue kool aide and that pretty much sums up my reasoning for doing so. I think that Hornady and RCBS makes gear that would make me happy, but the Dillon rep for service and satisfaction made the deal for me. I just put together a 650 and it is certainly way overkill for the amount of loading I do. I'm jumping up from a Lee Pro 1000 setup that over the years has made a bunch of ammunition and I have learned its quirks and how to make it work reasonably well. But, I want to spend less time at the bench and more time at the range. This will get the job done. For me, at this stage of the game, it's not necessarily about the cost per round as much as it's about the time per round. That means make it quick with no fiddling around, be reliable, and no hiccups in operation. Blue, Red or Green, all will do this; I chose Blue because when I need them, they will be there - for sure.

Yea, those stupid pushers for the 650 case feeders crack like Marrion Berry on a saturday night.

If you ever want their tone to change, call up and ask them for a replacement ram for your RL1050. Suddenly they want you to whip out that CC. Same thing with decapping pins, and they want a pretty penny for them. Big reason why I recommend RCBS dies.

Last year I had one of the lugs that connects the RL1050 ram to the crank mechanism break on my personal machine, and they wanted $90 for a replacement. It strikes me if the ram breaks under normal usage there's either a flaw in your design, or you have some issues with QC. I read later this is a major reason they changed the design when they went to the XL1050.

Yea, those stupid pushers for the 650 case feeders crack like Marrion Berry on a saturday night.

If you ever want their tone to change, call up and ask them for a replacement ram for your RL1050. Suddenly they want you to whip out that CC. Same thing with decapping pins, and they want a pretty penny for them. Big reason why I recommend RCBS dies.

Last year I had one of the lugs that connects the RL1050 ram to the crank mechanism break on my personal machine, and they wanted $90 for a replacement. It strikes me if the ram breaks under normal usage there's either a flaw in your design, or you have some issues with QC. I read later this is a major reason they changed the design when they went to the XL1050.

After the 100k plus rounds it "pushed" I can't complain.

Their tone changes because they view the 1050 as a "Commercial Use" machine even if you are not a "commercial loader".

As for a lug breaking it would depend on how many of these they see breaking as to whether it's a QC or design problem.

As for a lug breaking it would depend on how many of these they see breaking as to whether it's a QC or design problem.

This is why they changed the mechanism on the XL1050, so it's essentially acknowledged as a design issue. Another problem the 1050's have is the return spring for the advancing mechanism tends to snap after about 10-20k rounds, yea that may sound like a lot, but it's not.

This is why they changed the mechanism on the XL1050, so it's essentially acknowledged as a design issue. Another problem the 1050's have is the return spring for the advancing mechanism tends to snap after about 10-20k rounds, yea that may sound like a lot, but it's not.

Considering that the puny "pusher" spring on mine lasted for 100k plus.

Does it snap in the same place every time?

I have lnl and love it. I got it with the case collator and bullet feeder and couldnt be happier. One of my shooting buds has 3 of the 650 dillons and a couple 550s one of which he bought from me.I owned it for about a month and hated it compared to the Horny. After adding all the add ons I feel like im cheating the system somehow,its so easy to use. When I set up to load certain favorite loads I run several hundred or even a thou or two before tearing it down and starting on another load.The change over takes around 30 mins if i have to change primer size and case collator size. I will be really happy when Hornady puts the rifle conversion for the bullet feeder on the market.

The change over takes around 30 mins if i have to change primer size and case collator size.

I thought changeovers were supposed to be faster on the Hornady than on the Dillon. Changing tool heads, case feeder plate, primer feed assy, and shell plate on my 650 takes less than 10 minutes and that includes some cleaning time as well.

As for rifle bullets, did you look at the KISS bullet feeder (which appears to now be named Mr.Bulletfeeder)? Loads all the pistol bullets as well as .223 and .308.

Is more money but by the time all the conversions are added to the cheaper units prices often end up the same.

The KISS has been successful and those at Dillon who've used it say 1,000 round per hour rates are easy to maintain.

I think the guys saying the hornady lnl is faster to change calibers arent saying how long it takes to change over the bullet drop or case drop systems. I have 300 bucks in my bullet drop system with 2 caliber bullet dies, quite a bit less than a Kiss. Adding calibers costs the price of a die-25 bucks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top