JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Me, too. Maybe more. And during nine or ten of those years I was reloading for about five IPSC matches, one pin match, and a speed steel match a month plus practice ammo. It's had a lot of use with no breakage.

The 550 is the most robust machine dillon makes, I've had one for years, even though it doesn't get much attention these days compared to my LNL, or my camdex. The only part I have ever had to replace on that machine is the little wire dealy-bopper that controls the primer shuttle, and I replaced that with a chunk of steel brazing rod.

I have a 550b which I bought used about 2 yrs ago. Have no idea of round count. Have had to replace the small primer seating pin, they sent me 2 replacemens at no charge. Am having problems with accuracy with the powder measure, I wrote them an E-mail asking what the fix was, they E-mailed back saying a new powder bar was in the mail, again, no charge. Can't beat that kind of service.

I've owned a 550 for probably 12 -13 years. In that time it's probably loaded somewhere in the range of 4-5000 rounds. I've experienced no problems except the decapped primer chute will sometimes tweak the cotter pin that holds it in place and then will drop old primers in the way of the primer feeder causing it to not pick up the next primer. As long as I keep an eye on that I can just crank out the rounds.

2.5yrs on a 550. So far no broken parts after 15-20k rounds. I clean the primer area every 1k or so otherwise it jams up. Anything over .223 size and I have to manually measure powder otherwise it's way off. Probably the longer grained powder causing that

I've owned a Dillon 500 since 1996 or '97 (don't remember, but was the first one sold in Riverside County, CA.) I'm not a heavy reloader, but I use it for 30-06, 8x57 JS, 9mm, .357/38Spl, 45ACP, 45 AutoRim and will be setting up shortly for .44 Magnum. I haven't had to replace anything.

Pops

I've had my Dillon 550B for 20 years. I can say it has been a good machine. I load both pistol and rifle on it, it's a fairly well built machine and has provided good service. That being said, it is not without failure. Here is my list:
I have broken the black plastic ball on the handle, it cracked (not from misuse). They replaced it free.
The primer feed housing, stripped or wore out the threads on that hold it on the frame, 2 times. They replaced it free both times.
The wire follower that actuates the primer feeder seized up once. They replaced it free.
I have bent the brass buttons a couple of times from loading to fast... They replaced them free.
I have worn out the plastic primer holder at the bottom of feed tube numerous times. All replaced free.
I have replaced many springs from either wear or loss during change of configuration. I do buy spare parts, but they also send me extras for some strange reason.

I also have one of those unique tek micrometer powder measurement adjusters on my powder drop. That is the best thing since the invention of the progressive reloader.

I have considered buying a 650, but I don't know if I could re-train myself to operate one... I'm pretty good on a 550.

My 650 was about 15yrs old when I bought it. Haven't broken anything, but have had Dillon upgrade a few parts to the latest style/configuration. All upgraded parts were free of course!

I loaded 1K .45 ACP LSWC's last sunday . Screw stripped on the rifle/pistol case feed selector , that's it in A LOT of ammo ! .223 , .38 , .357, 9mm , .40 , .45 , .45colt , .44 mag , .308 , and .30-06 .

Since we are talking Dillon....How much does your press vary on powder charges when reloading? I have had issues up to about a whole grain of powder hi or low.

This is totally a powder issue. The Dillon powder measure works great on most powders and terrible on the same powders that other machine/dispensers have. Any large granule extruded powder will be a problem both for volume measure or for trying to trickle by weight due to the individual granules being much heavier than the smaller ball or flake granules.

If you're loading a ball, spherical, or flake powder, as well as the small grained extruded powders, on a dillon, there's no reason for charges to fall within the +/- .1 gr range.

This is totally a powder issue. The Dillon powder measure works great on most powders and terrible on the same powders that other machine/dispensers have. Any large granule extruded powder will be a problem both for volume measure or for trying to trickle by weight due to the individual granules being much heavier than the smaller ball or flake granules.

If you're loading a ball, spherical, or flake powder, as well as the small grained extruded powders, on a dillon, there's no reason for charges to fall within the +/- .1 gr range.

I've had very good results with Benchmark , Varget , and VV-140 . That reminds Me that I have had issues with the case feed arm bushing . The white one for 7.62 wants to ride up .

Have a 650 and while it was a fairly recent purchase it's been running flawlessly so far thru a couple thousand reloads. In fact the question asked by the OP was what finally swayed my decision to Dillon when deciding which progressive I wanted to go with. Seems all the big manufactures will replace parts under warranty now but in my research the Dillon seemed to be relatively trouble-free compared to others. It's nice to get parts replace by the manufacturer but it's way nicer to not have to need that service in the first place.....

I've had my Dillon 550 since 1988 (24 years). I have loaded 9mm, 10mm, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, 45ACP, 44 Magnum, 45 Colt, 454 Casull, 17 Remington and 223 with hardly any problems. I have bought several upgrades and maintenance items over the years and completely dismantled it for cleaning and lubing last year. It has been a completely reliable press for me.

I have owned my 650 for 6 days now, and I've already loaded 500 rounds of 9mm. The only issue I have with the dillon is I wish I would of gotten it years ago. But really, I do have one slight problem; when the shell is supposed to be kicked out by the rod that pushed it out, it sometime gets stuck. Any ideas to fix that? Every once in a while it will jar the shell plate and kick my powder all over the place. Not a huge issue, but maybe someone has an easy fix for me. Thanks.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top