JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Wow, how true:

Life in school, then and now ...
Scenario 1
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1957-Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show to Jack.
2011-School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

There are 7 scenarios in all, I'm not going to type them all in, they're on L8 of Tuesdays paper. Might be on their website too.

Yep. I went to school between these 2 times in a rural area. I believe students with visible guns in a gun rack were simply asked to leave them at home.

I had a gun rack that was behind the seat so when I had a rifle or shotgun none of the school administrators found out. :s0155:

1973 Mark's dad calls the vice principle at Silverton Union High School and get permission for Mark to take an Inland made M1 Carbine to school on the bus. Mark has agreed to keep the Carbine in his locker in between classes and not to walk around the halls with it.

The purpose of Mark having the carbine at school that day was his Freshman English Speech. Which was on how to field strip and clean an M1 Carbine. Mark got an A. Mark got the A right after he finished the Speech..

2008 -Son goes off to college and they specifically requested that your guns are either in your rifle rack or locked up in an area they designated. I ask dude: "how do you clean them?" You can clean them in your room of course, but as soon as you're done and they are clean: whoosh, to the lock up. Leaving it in your room is cause for a problem. There were a couple of pickups with rifles in racks in the parking lot that day.

I'm fine that policy. The downside is that if kids get too lazy, they are more likely to just leave them in a truck, with the potential for theft. Hasn't been a problem yet, but most of these kids have cheap, functional, guns. I gave my son a Western Field 12 ga. for instance. It shoots good enough- but no one really would want to steal it I suppose.

I went to school from 90-94 (highschool) & you could have a gun in the gun rack in your truck in the parking lot ... it was no big deal, as long as you didn't bring what was in it into the school building.................................

I also went to high school between 1990-1994 and several guys were sporting guns on their gun racks, just not inside the school... I distinctly recall a few guys even bringing freshly killed bucks in their truck beds. There were a few teachers and administrators out there admiring the kill, along with a gaggle of students. Kip Kinkel changed everything, that is the truth.

I went to school from 90-94 (highschool) & you could have a gun in the gun rack in your truck in the parking lot ... it was no big deal, as long as you didn't bring what was in it into the school building.................................

About the same time frame growing up in Seaside Or, and the same thing was common. We had lots of good ole boys who would go hunting before and after school. Never a lock down.

1970 Took my .22 rifle to Jr High English class and gave a speech on gun safety. Principle just told me to keep it locked in my locker until the class and then put it back in the locker until school was out and I was ready to leave.

1971 was on the front lawn of the High School on a Saturday with a .22 blank pistol, and a retrieving dummy training my Brittany Spaniel. The principal drove up after getting calls from some folks that there was someone shooting a gun at the school. When he saw what I was doing he said just go out behind the school building and no one should bother me.

I think it depends on where you live. Rural is better for this. When I was in HS we could sure have guns in the racks on school grounds parking lots. Today the rule is you have to park off-campus on a public street next to the school where the school has no authority and the gun is legal.

The problem today is that there are just enough meth-heads that it's best to keep valuables out of sight and locked up. Shame.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top