JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Funny when The Department of Homeland Security orders an AR-15 its a PDW, but if a civilian owns one it's a "Assault Weapon". I will let you make your own mind up, but this pisses me off.

sounds like a way to make costs even more prohibitive at this point. its hard enough for the public to get these rifles right now, this will make it much harder.

no, because they are able to buy in bulk. panic prices are a public pricing system, not whole sale. its all about selling a high demand item with a low supply. another thing about this, is the fact that a state department that needs more fire power should be buying automatic weapons, not semi-automatic. its a joke to say those who are needing these weapons because they are likely to use them dont need something with some real balls, instead buying civilian weapons. why are they telling us they need civilian weapons to run serious operations? its because they need to say there is a military unit that primarily uses this weapon, to have a valid way of saying they are military style weapons.

The article says "select fire" more than once... so it's not a civilian weapon anyways. It is not an AR-15. Sounds like they bought M4's. Which are military assault weapons. They do however ruin their case by calling them "personal defense weapons". And it wouldn't really effect driving up prices. Maybe a little because manufacturers are using resources to build them instead of building civilian AR-15's.

It is a little strange why DHS would need 7,000 of them anyways? We really don't even need DHS. We have police, state patrol, ATF, FBI, CIA, U.S. Marshals, National Guard, and I'm sure i missed a few more. not to mention letting "Posse Comitatus" expire.

the DHS conducts international operations most of those are for internal national enforcement but really in some facets you are right, we do already have a military that can easily take on the role of this. but if they have the select fire option, they are no longer an AR-15, that would be an M-16. M4 is a modification, not a gun. M-4 mods are on a lot of american auto-loading rifles but simply means that it has an improved feed ramp to increase reliability of chambering a round. the ar-15 is a civilian version of the weapon that look like the M-16 and has many interchangeable parts. but is not a military weapon.

"M4 is a modification, not a gun."

In fact an M4 is a gun. It is built off the M16 platform. But there are a lot of differences. For instance, Different buffer assembly, shorter barrel, feed ramp, collapsible butt stock, Markings, & carbine length gas system. M16 is a rifle... M4 is a carbine. This is why the lower receiver on an M4... says M4 and the same on a M16. Now modification would be a M16A2 and so on.

Now there are different types of AR-15's but generally they are the exact same... except there is no select fire. I can (well not now) order the exact M4 i had in the army from colt... just minus that trigger assembly. But you can always get a slide fire stock or Lightning link!!!

It is a little strange why DHS would need 7,000 of them anyways? We really don't even need DHS. We have police, state patrol, ATF, FBI, CIA, U.S. Marshals, National Guard, and I'm sure i missed a few more. not to mention letting "Posse Comitatus" expire.

CBP, Secret Service and Coast Guard are part of DHS.

you guys are worried about a 7,000 unit purchase? Seriously?
That size order should not even raise an eye brow if it was done by a single large state.

so you would think they would order 50,000 and not raise a question in the eye of the general public
the coffee is done can't you smell it

you guys are worried about a 7,000 unit purchase? Seriously?
That size order should not even raise an eye brow if it was done by a single large state.

What I see is that they order them and they are called Personal Defense Weapons, and when we have them they are "Assault Weapons". That is my problem with the issue. This huge police force, that isn't necessary in the first place needs to defend against what exactly? Are they planning on being assaulted?

Or maybe they're getting ready to disarm America and need weapons to protect themselves :tinfoil:

I so not think this comment is far off. These are my impressions based on events. DHS obtained millions of 40 caliber rounds within recent years. Sandy Hook occured whether or not a very real genuine event, but the evidence of what occured IS NOT FORTHCOMING. Then the legislation from Feinstein occured.

So I thnik the "quiet" plan to reduce or eliminate arms in the usa was already on the books before these mass murders, and when Sandy occured the program to reduce or eliminate civilian weapons was put into action. Sandy was terrible but presented a crisis of opportunity for politically minded and selfish intentions. The push to do Feinstein et al, and weaponize DHS with their 40 cal and AR 15's appears to be a very real and evolving plan to more against the civilians or anticipate wide scascale civilian unrest. .

At this point I would think that every one that can lay their hands on any ammo of any type should be obtained. No telling when ammo will be available for hunting or what ever. God bless all of us and hope that our country does not turn for the worse.

What I see is that they order them and they are called Personal Defense Weapons, and when we have them they are "Assault Weapons". That is my problem with the issue. This huge police force, that isn't necessary in the first place needs to defend against what exactly? Are they planning on being assaulted?

Yeah, that's the thing. PDW is an industry term, just like Assault Rifle, while Assault Weapon is a political and legal term. You can try to use PDW to push back on those folks trying to ban similar rifles, but it may not necessarily work due to fact DHS people are engaged in a dangerous occupation, making it a context-specific issue.

Life is a dangerous occupation. I could be sitting on my couch and a bullet could fall from the sky and hit me. Or I could walk outside and be randomly attacked.

I so not think this comment is far off. These are my impressions based on events. DHS obtained millions of 40 caliber rounds within recent years. Sandy Hook occured whether or not a very real genuine event, but the evidence of what occured IS NOT FORTHCOMING. Then the legislation from Feinstein occured.

So I thnik the "quiet" plan to reduce or eliminate arms in the usa was already on the books before these mass murders, and when Sandy occured the program to reduce or eliminate civilian weapons was put into action. Sandy was terrible but presented a crisis of opportunity for politically minded and selfish intentions. The push to do Feinstein et al, and weaponize DHS with their 40 cal and AR 15's appears to be a very real and evolving plan to more against the civilians or anticipate wide scascale civilian unrest. .

At this point I would think that every one that can lay their hands on any ammo of any type should be obtained. No telling when ammo will be available for hunting or what ever. God bless all of us and hope that our country does not turn for the worse.

you mean under the radar quoted by the chosen one

Life is a dangerous occupation. I could be sitting on my couch and a bullet could fall from the sky and hit me. Or I could walk outside and be randomly attacked.

Point being, it's all relative stuff. Unreliable arguments. We need to stick to things that we know will work. EBR's are in common use, and thus are protected by 2A. Same goes for mags.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top