JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking this year may be the year I break down and buy a good GPS system.

I want to explore more of Tillamook State Forest. Parts deeper in. Streams, rivers, etc.

I've done pretty well with what I currently have, but I'm getting to the point where my mode of operation is not as up to date as I imagine it could be.

I have a Xmaps google earth overlay, plenty of paper maps of the Forrest going back 10 years, and various online maps.

Recommendations are very welcome here.

I'm looking for clear road and waterways marked mostly.

Thanks

Reno

Years ago I used a Garmin eTrex when I was riding my quad. It didn't have detailed forest maps but it always got my back to the truck. Take a look at their website for handhelds.

I had the e-trex for one hunting season, then sold it. It worked, just not the way I assumed it would. Meaning, viewing the land, and what "holes" I was going down in-to get my prize. I went back to my maps and compass. Since that time, Google Earth is better for visuals. That, with the e-trex, that might be the key for the expedition. The only downfall I see with GE is the "history" being out-dated regarding topographical change of the landscape.

Years ago I used a Garmin eTrex when I was riding my quad. It didn't have detailed forest maps but it always got my back to the truck. Take a look at their website for handhelds.
I've got a Garmin backtrack that aids in getting me back to where I was. Great little purchase.

Did the Etrex have rivers and roads clearly marked?

I'm not, not considering the E series, I'm just not sure if the other Garmin products have more features or better maps.

So looking at Garmon's products it's a bit confusing. Not really understanding the difference in a lot of their models. Looking for some hands on infos on how well certain models look and read.

Bonus points to those who have xmaps chips loaded onto their garmins.

Xmaps has really been a great tool via the google earth overlay I have. I'm thinking a handheld with it loaded would be the bees knees. Can't lug around my computer everywhere.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top