JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone know how I might avoid this inconvenience? 3 of my last 7 purchases have been delayed. Can not find any UPIN application on the NICS site.
If your screen name is your real name it might be why their are hundreds with your name. My friend has a common name and is delayed almost every time

Happiness is being lithuanian. There's only a handful of my surname between our shores. The downside is that it takes an act of Congress to spell my name over the phone all the time. Sometimes I envy situations like yours.

I have a upin and a not so common name, still get delayed about 25%
of the time. Makes me think that there might be some anti gun folk employed there.

FBI — Appeals Home
VAF: Voluntary Appeal File
This takes a little time, and may not help much.
The first time I tried, was denied. said I didn't need it.
I was getting delayed 80% of the time. Then I was denied,
sent in new form with transaction number, got upin.
The girl in court house records is no longer employed.
But that is another story.

UPIN applications are backlogged two years. The reason you may not be finding the application is because what you're actually looking for is the Voluntary Appeal File application. Submitting that results in the issuance of a UPIN.

A UPIN does not generally prevent delays, it may only help shorten how long the delay lasts.

Delays occur when there is something about your background that requires further investigation. This is usually due to past arrests. Once the FBI completes its record of your criminal history and verifies that you do not have any events that prohibit firearm possession, it then issues a proceed. How long this takes depends on the FBI's present workload.

The common name thing doesn't wash. Mine is so common that there were two of us in my High School! I recently filled out a loan application and the bank found 11 others with my name who had outstanding warrants! I have never been Delayed.

I was routenley delayed.:confused: Recently got a Upin now no delay. Took about a month to get the upin.
The FFL dealer helped me by giving me the recently delayed background check number date and time.
Put the information on the VAF: Voluntary Appeal File form. The delayed transaction needs to
be within the last 6 months. ;)

Patience is a virtue when buying guns. I have a UPIN, makes no difference. Even with concealed carry permits in 3 states, no difference. I don't care any longer, there is no gun on planet earth I'm looking to buy I have to have right now, this second.

That said, I find it odd I never get delayed buying a long gun in OR as a WA resident, go figure.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top