JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That said, I find it odd I never get delayed buying a long gun in OR as a WA resident, go figure.

Oregon is a state where all background checks go through the state police and the FBI is not directly involved, that is likely why. On the other hand, in WA, the background check could either go through the local sheriff or the FBI, depending on the circumstances of the sale.

Oregon is a state where all background checks go through the state police and the FBI is not directly involved, that is likely why. On the other hand, in WA, the background check could either go through the local sheriff or the FBI, depending on the circumstances of the sale.
Or the city you live in .
I was told that all my handgun back ground checks go through Anacortes police department.because I live in the city limits.
But they have been pretty fast .

I get delay every time.
Like someone said above I just know when I go in I will be delayed.so I shop according to that.
Duck season starts in October.
If I need to get a new shotgun I buy it in September.LOL

Or the city you live in .
I was told that all my handgun back ground checks go through Anacortes police department.because I live in the city limits.
But they have been pretty fast .

Yes, or the PD of the city you live in. You can avoid running the check through Anacortes if you get a CPL. Handgun checks with a CPL go to the FBI. That's not necessarily better, just saying.

Fortunately, I've never seen a delay for anyone. So now I'm curious. How does a delay typically present itself?

- Does the FFL complete successful transactions with others while you stand there waiting?

- Awkward sound of crickets chirping until you both get tired of waiting and agree to check again tomorrow?

- Or does something concrete come back saying "Cannot be completed today?"

However that works, it's gotta be aggravating.

Stand there waiting lol you going to stand there for ten days.
When they call the batf and give them the info on you the ATF will say proceed or delay .
Or denied.if they say delay it's ten buissnes days in Washington unless the ATF contact the store sooner with a proceed then the store will call you

I know why I get delayed.
When they enter my last name in there computer I bet it starts smoking.lol
I have a brother that is a frequent flyer at the jail house.or prison system in Washington and Oregon .

Fortunately, I've never seen a delay for anyone. So now I'm curious. How does a delay typically present itself?

- Does the FFL complete successful transactions with others while you stand there waiting?

- Awkward sound of crickets chirping until you both get tired of waiting and agree to check again tomorrow?

- Or does something concrete come back saying "Cannot be completed today?"

However that works, it's gotta be aggravating.

It may take seconds or a few minutes, the FFL gets a delay response. Historically NICS has 3 business days to either proceed or deny the transfer, if no response from NICS within that time frame the FFL MAY transfer the firearm, they don't have to. I understand big box stores like Walmart will not transfer until the get a proceed even if that takes a lifetime. Typically, once the FFL gets a proceed from NICS they'll call the buyer to come pick up the gun.

I've been delayed many times where I go have lunch somewhere nearby, get a call saying proceed, finish lunch, go pickup the gun and head to the range. The longest delay I've ever had was 2.5 days.

Stand there waiting lol you going to stand there for ten days.
When they call the batf and give them the info on you the ATF will say proceed or delay .
Or denied.if they say delay it's ten buissnes days in Washington unless the ATF contact the store sooner with a proceed then the store will call you

Just for clarification, ATF has nothing to do with BG checks, it's the FBI NICS.

It may take seconds or a few minutes, the FFL gets a delay response. Historically NICS has 3 business days to either proceed or deny the transfer, if no response from NICS within that time frame the FFL MAY transfer the firearm, they don't have to. I understand big box stores like Walmart will not transfer until the get a proceed even if that takes a lifetime. Typically, once the FFL gets a proceed from NICS they'll call the buyer to come pick up the gun.

I've been delayed many times where I go have lunch somewhere nearby, get a call saying proceed, finish lunch, go pickup the gun and head to the range. The longest delay I've ever had was 2.5 days.
This is true I waited 30 days once for a shotgun.
They would not proceed with out a proceed reply from fbi .it was not Walmart but a big outdoor sporting goods store .
That is no longer here .I cancelled the order and went to Skagit arms and got a shotgun .I was delay there too but they gave me the gun a week later.

So the indefinite chirping of crickets comes after an initial "delay" response. Thanks for clarifying guys.

What a PITA for any buyer with legit credentials, especially frequent fliers!

So the indefinite chirping of crickets comes after an initial "delay" response. Thanks for clarifying guys.

What a PITA for any buyer with legit credentials, especially frequent fliers!

You are correct, it's the number one reason I won't buy a gun at a gun show unless the dealer is local to me. Did that once; Puyallup show, Sunday, bought a handgun from a Tacoma dealer, delay. Back home to Renton. Tuesday proceed, drive to Tacoma to pickup gun, drive back home. It wasn't the end of the world but yes, a PITA.

You are correct, it's the number one reason I won't buy a gun at a gun show unless the dealer is local to me. Did that once; Puyallup show, Sunday, bought a handgun from a Tacoma dealer, delay. Back home to Renton. Tuesday proceed, drive to Tacoma to pickup gun, drive back home. It wasn't the end of the world but yes, a PITA.
PITA definitely. Live in Woodland had to drive back to Tenino. FFL did a great job communicated daily until proceed came through. I believe if still delayed after 10 days they automatically proceed with transaction. This one took 6 days.

PITA definitely. Live in Woodland had to drive back to Tenino. FFL did a great job communicated daily until proceed came through. I believe if still delayed after 10 days they automatically proceed with transaction. This one took 6 days.

It's not just the customer who has to endure the yes/no/maybe, imagine you are the FFL. If you run a small business you understand sales and the cost of a sale. This isn't the place for me to go into business 101 but it's rough on them as well.

I have nothing but good things to say about FFL dealers I've bought firearms from no matter how tough it gets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top