JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll be 1st to say hell yes a 223 will kill a deer no prob
A lot of guys don't know what there talking about and just go buy
He says she says or well my sisters bro's cat ones shot this.. Bs'
Use 60 gr up. My wife drilled a nice 3x3 at 324 yrds with my
Tikka t3 1 shot 60gr sp hand load dropped it.. In one side and out
And it was a huge body.

i guess if your going to dump a lot of money into an ar you might as well use it.I do like the assurance of a larger caliber but if your $400 hunting rifle works better than your ar then why did i spend $2000+ on an ar15?

I shot a blacktail once with one of my 223's and wont do it ever again. Not to say that it wasn't effective, but rather too effective. Shot was uphill at about 80 yards, entrance was in front of right front leg at about the brisket/heart level, exited the offside shoulder. Entrance wound was about the size of a golf ball and exit I could easily put my fist into. Bloodshot on the entire offside of the deer and wasted about 1/4 of the meat. I was amazed at the power of that little 60 grain softpoint bullet and disappointed that I wasted so much meat of an already small critter.

Three Montanans gathered for a discussion of just this topic: .223 effective on deer-size game. While Dad and the girl were vociferous in their recommendations of the cartridge, the gentleman in the foreground was strangely silent.

img031.jpg

Interarms "Mini-Mauser" MK X. .223 Remington, 55g Nosler Ballistic Tip, 225 yards. One shot kill. This from a few years ago. She's now 6 for 6 on the goats, 2 for 2 on big muleys. All one shot kills. Her boyfriend last year tried to get her to "upgrade" to a .270. She will have none of it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top