JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not my story. A friend was out shooting in the forest and was packing up to leave and some guys in a van pull in the area and had a number rifles sitting vertically in a rack between the seats. Anyway the van hits a dip and the rifles start firing, multiple shots. so things settle down and he walks over peaks in the van and notices the big hole in the windshield and says, "nice group.''
:s0140::s0140::s0140:

@No_Regerts thanks for creating this topic, been laugh at most of the reads, and brought back some umm no so fond memories. :rolleyes::D

Here is one for you. My dad and I shoot at the range on Fort Lewis quite a bit. They have a range master on an intercom who directs the shooters. Before anyone can check targets, everyone must lock and show clear and then step behind the firing line. One of thr shooters was having problems getting his rifle unloaded. Range master gets on the intercome and says, "does someone mind giving that man a hand?"

My Dad stands up and starts clapping.

I feel you @No_Regerts

Especially the part about the one guy nearly freezing. Lol.

Brings back a good memory of a pair of friends I took Chukar hunting back in NV for their first time.

Hunting aside...

We were camping in tents. They looked at me like I was insane as I went to bed in long johns in a heavily insulated sleeping bag and tent. It was 95 degrees that day. It can drop to below freezing in the NV desert at night. Sure enough one of the two nearly froze through the night, why he didn't just jump into the truck still makes me wonder.

We left the next day as he nearly froze and the other buddies legs were rubber from the first days hunt/hike up the ravine.

Here is one for you. My dad and I shoot at the range on Fort Lewis quite a bit. They have a range master on an intercom who directs the shooters. Before anyone can check targets, everyone must lock and show clear and then step behind the firing line. One of thr shooters was having problems getting his rifle unloaded. Range master gets on the intercome and says, "does someone mind giving that man a hand?"

My Dad stands up and starts clapping.
LOL!!!

Some of the guys at work found out I was a hunter and became interested enough to ask questions. I showed them pictures and told them stories and soon, I could tell they had the bug. I knew of a large piece of land that would accommodate us and we set out to form a group to share hunting camp now and forever...

Guy A bought a camper trailer. Awesome investment that I had never used before. Figured it would be way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

Guy B is a tactical sort who owns nothing but AR15s and pistols. He decides he will buy a rifle to hunt with. Of course, he knows more about guns being a Marine than the rest of us combined. I tell him that a light rifle chambered in a flat shooting cartridge is the ticket for the canyons were the mule deer live. Of course I know nothing and NO MILITARY uses a 270, so it can't be worth a damn. 14 lb M40 clone it is!

Guy C is the only one who has ever hunted and he's hunted every year since he was 12 (now 35). But he's never seen a legal deer. More on that later.

So, we spend the summer getting gear together, tailoring loads for each rifle, and got everyone to shooting ok. Guy C is still a bit awkward, so I decide A and B can stick together and I'll help C. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take them to the area before the season, so their first look would be the evening before opening day.

We get to the farm and I go forward as the one who knows all the people and has our access figured out. I called ahead and spoke to everyone who owns the property and permission was affirmed. As I walk up to the house, I see 6 camper trailers with 3 to 5 people sitting around each. That's a lot of people.

I talk to the farmer and he says that he forgot his nephews were coming in and it might get crowded. He suggested we hunt from the bottom of the canyone and come up, since his nephews and their families would be coming from high ground. I get the idea that we will set uo down below in the dark and let all the yahoos push deer to us. Excellent.

We have a great night and get some sleep in a wonderfully warm camper trailer. This is heaven. The morning comes and Guy A realizes its 20 degrees outside. He borrows long johns and a beanie and gets dressed. As we get ready to leave, everyone but me pulls out a pistol.

"What are you huys doing?"

ABC in unison: "Getting a pistol ready"

"Why?"

ABC: "Bears and cougars"

"So, you're gonna fight a bear or cougar with a 9mm and not use your rifle that packs 3000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle?" (Secret, never once seen bear or cougar sign in this area)

A and B realize thats a good point, C keeps his 6-shot single stack 9mm.

After an hour of hiking in the dark where there are cacti....Guy C realizes he's lost his pistol. I hand A and B a chem light and tell them C and I will be back. Found the gun all the way back to within 100 yards of camp where it fell out of the "holster". I'm pissed at this point.

We hike back and find A and B. All together, we climb 500 feet into the rimrock just before daybreak. The farmers nephews must have gotten drunk because they were starting late.

We hear the ATVs start up a thousand feet above us. We set up shooting sticks and rifles and prepared for the mass heard of deer thay would be pushed down to is. Soon, buck comes over the saddle on the ridge across from us. Guy C had drawn first shot, and was struggling to get still. Guy A was freezing to death because he had sweat so much on the hike and he was soaked, sitting in the high desert with a nice 20 degree breeze. Guy B was being a real trooper, but pretty sure he was pissed too because he had a clear shot.

When the buck first came over the ridge, he was about 320 yards away and we couldn't count enough points on him. He came downhill towards us and stood broadside at 110 yards. I'm looking st him with a spotting scope and he is a small 3x3. I tell him to shoot.

Guy C must not have realized the deer was now 210 yards closer. First shot sails over the back and thebm buck takes off like a bat out of hell.

Dejected.

Defeated.

Dumbazz.

Guy C blows a gimmie on the first legal deer he has ever seen. After 20 minutes of b!tching about it, a 3x4 comes over the same ridge! This time, the deer holds up on the ridge where Guy A and B can't see him. Only Guy C can see him. He gets steady, and I check the wind. Its pretty much still. The buck is broadside and motionless. At the crack of the rifle, the deer looks uphill to see why rocks are falling. He then walks away. As he walks around a clump of rocks, he gets put down by a drunk nephew.

"What happened?!"

Guy C: "The gun is off! I held perfect!"

"You were steady?"

"Yes!"

"You had the first dot behind the shoulder?" (using Leupold LR Duplex with BDC dots)

Silence....

"Isn't 300 yards the second dot?"

"Not if you're zeroed at 200!"

EPILOGUE

Guy A sold his trailer, not before nearly freezing to death. Plans on moving to AZ.

Guy B blamed it all on me that he didn't get a deer. Hasn't gone since, or shot his M40 clone.

Guy C decided to continue hunting on his own. He was later cited and fined for killing an elk, thinking it was a deer.

Me?.....

Hunted alone the last few years.

My reasoning for hunting alone also....

Why take a pistol along while hunting?

So you can shoot the dumb*** hunting partner and not waste a rifle cartridge. :D

Seriously, I always took a pistol along (if I had one) - to admin a coup de grace if necessary, and just because you have never seen a bear or cougar in the area doesn't mean they aren't there; I have yet to see one in the wild anywhere, but I know they are on my property because others have seen them there.

and thats why yuppies will starve to death. LOL

:rolleyes:

im sure theyre good dudes. just inexperienced at hunting game. i like taking new hunters out but, for 6 months prior i take them shooting often so that theyre proficient!:)

on my buddies last elk hunt a few weeks ago, he figured out his "rest" was actually an electric fence as soon as he touched his safety.

ZAP!

"Son of a ^]%|^|£{¥|!|\>.€£|'&&$$&&&@@"

These stories make me so upset, I spent months and months reading and researching and learning laws before I bought my guns and would love to be taken out by someone with more experience. The fact that these people have squandered it makes understand why nobody wants to take anyone any more

Why take a pistol along while hunting?

So you can shoot the dumb*** hunting partner and not waste a rifle cartridge. :D

Seriously, I always took a pistol along (if I had one) - to admin a coup de grace if necessary, and just because you have never seen a bear or cougar in the area doesn't mean they aren't there; I have yet to see one in the wild anywhere, but I know they are on my property because others have seen them there.

This place is as wide open as it gets. Nothing grows taller than your ankles. A rifle would do it just fine. No one stands a leopard or lion charge with a Glock 43. Not sure why he would either, especially with a 30-06 in his hand.

Buck fever. Everything went right out the window and his brain got stuck in the dumbazz mode.
it happens. i have a funny but rather gross story... a buddy of mine was 3 steps into the woods in his "office" about to do his business when suddenly a 4x4 muley popped out. he got excited and ended up crapping his pants...wouldnt ride in the truck after the morning hunt was over. i noticed his shirt was missing when he took his jacket off back at camp...

"hey, wheres your..."

"I DONT WANNA TALK ABOUT IT"

lol he taked about it around the fire that night after driving 15 miles to town to pay for a shower.

we were ROLLING!!!

some of the funniest stuff happens while hunting.

This place is as wide open as it gets. Nothing grows taller than your ankles. A rifle would do it just fine. No one stands a leopard or lion charge with a Glock 43. Not sure why he would either, especially with a 30-06 in his hand.

Coup de grace

Taking of small game such as rabbits and birds

Signaling if lost

I usually take a lightweight .22 revolver and a box of cartridges.

Or, I might take my 329PD.

Whatever it is, it will be lightweight and compact.

One just never knows.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads