JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My late stepfather, Andy (Nandor), escaped communist Hungary back in the fifties, during the time of the failed Hungarian Revolution. He and his Hungarian friends all did two things as soon as they got jobs: they bought cars, and they bought guns, which were strictly banned in Hungary.

Andy and three of his friends decided to celebrate their hard-earned freedom by going deer hunting in the Coast Range. Since none of them spoke more than very basic English, any advice they got when they bought their guns and licenses went in one ear and out the other.

They drove up a logging road, then hiked for a few hours and set up camp. The next morning, they were awakened by one of them yelling, 'Deer! Deer!" They dove out of their sleeping bags to find themselves in, as he later described it to me, "A herd of deer." After the shooting died down, they had a large 'buck.' (O.K., some of you already know the punchline to this story.) After they dressed it out, it was so heavy that each person could only carry a quarter, so they left the rest, along with the head and antlers.

Then they got lost. For the rest of the morning, and into the afternoon, they hiked up and down hills until they were exhausted. Then they threw away the rest of the meat. They finally came out on a logging road, and soon a pickup came along, but with the four of them waving rifles and yelling in Hungarian, the panicked driver tried to back away. Luckily, he stalled, and they laid down their rifles and were able to finally convince him they weren't a threat. He then drove them around until they found their car.

After he got home, I went over to his and mom's place and explained the difference between a deer and an elk.

BTW, neither Andy nor his friends knew about sighting in a rifle. They assumed they came that way from the factory.

Last Edited:
RVNvet; At least, it wasn't one of the " Brown and White" bucks that have been taken by more than a few new Hunters.:rolleyes:

My Father-in-Law enjoyed going shooting(Pistols and Revolvers only) a few times, as long as his Wife, didn't know about it. He worked for the International Red Cross, driving a truck and took three .50 caliber rounds through his Crest which cost him a Lung. Ended up in a German Concentration Camp. Him and two others left without asking. Two of them made it back to Norway in the middle of Winter. He was a Very Fine Tough Old Gentleman who was a Master Carpenter.

When East and West Germany were reunited he received a letter from the German Government telling him, he would not receive a check for $125.00 which other survivors were receiving because he had left without permission! I just don't understand why. What a Joke.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I grew up hunting in Idaho and since moving to Washington, I gave it up.

I still go with my dad and brother in Idaho and we do alright. I just help with the stalk and the packing out and they give me all the meat I want.

No crazy stories, no near misses. Just a lot of great memories of being in the woods...
I apologize but this has to go to that other thread;)

Last Edited:
RVNvet; At least, it wasn't one of the " Brown and White" bucks that have been taken by more than a few new Hunters.:rolleyes:

The following was published in a local Eastern Oregon newspaper. A copy of the article was framed and placed on the wall of the museum in Burns (or possibly Drewsey?). It may still be there. If there's someone from the area who saw this, please confirm:

A 'dude' from Portland drove out to the Burns area with his first doe license. He scored the first day, draped the deer across the hood of his car, and proudly drove into town, where he pulled to the curb. A group of locals gathered, and he was informed him that he'd shot a mule, not a deer. He then said that he'd wondered how the Fish and Game Department had managed to put horseshoes on the 'deer.'

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top