JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Planning on having my girlfriend draw the 119a high cascade hunt this year. Kinda looking around the Detroit area since we don't like to far from there. Any suggestions or tips? Or is there a better place I should focus my time?
I'll also have an archery elk and deer tag at the same time.

The Detroit area has been hit hard by fires the past two seasons and several areas remain closed. Hopefully that will change prior to the 2022 fall season, though currently there are still closures dating from 2020. Keep an eye on it through the Willamette NF website.
Thanks so much for the link!!
I was thinking heading south a little ways looks like there may be some good clear cuts down there. Going to start scouting in the speeding for sure

I think the 119a is a good deal. Its only drawback is its kind of a small area once you dig into it, the 2020 fires didnt help. I dont have much experience hunting those areas but I would focus more towards the McKenzie unit side of things.
Ive been thinking of 119a again but pack hunt into the wilderness off trail and figure it out, if I dont get one then hunt the coast. Problem is Im not going to burn my 10 preference points on that tag.

May find this interesting. Written by Pausanias around 100 A.D. Elk were tough for the ancients to hunt:
"There is also a wild animal called the elk, which is something between a stag and a camel, and is found among the Celts. It is the only animal we know of that men cannot hunt or see at a distance, but when they are engaged in hunting other animals sometimes the deity drives the elk into their hands. But it scents men they say at a great distance, and hides among the rocks and in the recesses of caves. Hunters therefore, when they have drawn a large net completely round a large district or even a mountain, so that nothing in that area can escape, among other animals that they catch when they draw the net tight capture occasionally the elk. But if it should not happen to be in this area, there is no other device by which one could capture the elk."

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top