JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So this year I plan to get my license and go out and take my shotgun for long walks in the woods, I do have questions as the only successful hunting Ive done was in NC (kinda cheating as I was able to get a DMZ permit for bow)

This would be my first attempt at bear ever and my first attempt at deer in this state. Personally I'm a meat hunter and don't care much for trophies. Just trying to fill the freezer for winter.

All that being said I'll be doing the online hunters safety course tomorrow and signing up for the "practical skills" course after.

My question for you folks is: because I got into the habit of doing my deboning in the field I'm not 100% certain if that qualifies as being "processed for consumption" as per this state or if I would go ahead and just drag the head out with me (deer)? I'm sure most of my other questions will be answered via the course (maybe)

Honestly pretty sure I'm really late in the season to be doing all of this just want the excuse to take my Ithaca out for long walks in the woods.

Also to clarify I should mention that I really only need one or the other as my freezer isn't exactly huge :)

I don't know about bear, but for deer you must have the head with you if checked by a game officer. They want to see the eyes to be able to tell if it was taken at night. They want to see the antlers if you are hunting antler season. They want to pull a tooth at some of the game check stations.

Thank you for the response!

That's kinda what I had figured, now that I know that they want to see the head I will plan accordingly.

And tag it ASAP.... don't wait til you get it back to truck or camp. Some of those game officers will give you a violation if you don't. We usually bring duct tape to put the punched tag on an antler. (Once one of the guys put it in the ear and it was lost before we got back to camp)

Roger that, thanks for the heads up.

my go to for tags is usually old boot lace. But I always seem to have duct tape on me, might give that a go if I get lucky this year

Just tag before you bag or drag. Some folks get a little indignant when hunters post pics of their freshly slain game and they don't see a tag. It's really not that big a deal, as long as you are near the kill site. I've seen some pretty petty comments along those lines over the years on a variety of forums. Zip or cable ties through a hole poked in an ear works ok for animals without horns.

A shotgun?
Dunno where you plan to hunt, or your tactics, but don't compare WA game to your NC hunting experiences.
No comparison, really.

A shotgun?
Dunno where you plan to hunt, or your tactics, but don't compare WA game to your NC hunting experiences.
No comparison, really.

I was thinking along this same line when i read that they were looking at deer AND BEAR with a shotgun. I wouldn't be caught dead in bear country hunting with a shotgun! Nice way to p-ss it off and get dead faster. :s0001:

Maybe I'm missing something, but as I understand it for black bears at around 100 yards I don't see a problem using high brass slugs. Unless your guys bears out here are freakish in size they should be around #150 right?

Not trying to cast doubt, but considering I've seen guys take them with bows (not something I would personally do) I don't understand the negativity for a shotgun loaded with hot slugs.

Maybe I'm missing something, but as I understand it for black bears at around 100 yards I don't see a problem using high brass slugs. Unless your guys bears out here are freakish in size they should be around #150 right?

Not trying to cast doubt, but considering I've seen guys take them with bows (not something I would personally do) I don't understand the negativity for a shotgun loaded with hot slugs.

Yes, on the small size.

At the risk of sounding condescending, have you studied the regualtions? 2019 Big Game Hunting Seasons and Rules | Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife
Download the regs, page 94 has specific guidance germane to evidence of animals sex.

Not taking anything away from the responses here, trust but verify.
I have a personal story that resulted in a large fine becasue I did not interpret the regs very well.

~Whitney

So 150 is small, and from the link that @AMT provided (thank you!) they get up to 400....which is definitely trophy territory

Thank you for the welcome! I've been here for a few weeks now, but don't post too much.

Whitney: thank you for polite way you put that :). I did in fact read the regulations which is what confused me. As I only read the earlier entry by the deer regs. I looked up the page you referenced and it is much clearer! Basically as I read it I have to leave the head attached to the neck section (largest portion of meat) while I'm transporting it.

I was thinking along this same line when i read that they were looking at deer AND BEAR with a shotgun. I wouldn't be caught dead in bear country hunting with a shotgun! Nice way to p-ss it off and get dead faster. :s0001:

A proper shotgun is one of the best bear defense. I carried one when fishing in Canada.

#8 shot to mess up their nose and eyes. Then 12ga slugs to mess up their life...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top