JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gun too Scary for Halloween?
<broken link removed>

DEAR ABBY: Halloween is around the corner, and my 7-year-old daughter has decided to be a cowgirl. She wants the boots, the hat and the gun.
Is it appropriate to let her have a holster and an obviously toy gun to accessorize her costume for trick-or-treating? She would not be taking that part of her costume to school on Halloween. I live in a part of the country where guns are an important part of our culture, but I am unsure how to proceed. -- CONFUSED ABOUT HALLOWEEN IN MONTANA
DEAR CONFUSED: Guns may be an important part of the culture where you live, but how do you feel about them? If it's all right with you, and the weapon your child carries is obviously a toy, then there should be no problem as you take her from house to house collecting her goodies. But there is nothing wrong with a 7-year-old cowgirl not having a gun and holster as part of her costume. If you need verification, have her check out the character Jessie in the movie "Toy Story 2."
P.S. Having her not take a toy gun to school is wise because many schools have strict policies about weapons -- including toy weapons -- being brought on campus.:(

Thought it was kinda neat Ms. Abby, (probably a group of Lawyers somewhere) wasn't actually telling her to avoid a toy gun except at School.
An anomaly in this day and age.

Yes she did but I thought she gave bad advice on this one from last year. Sorry I seem to have lost the link :s0114:

Dear Abby: Halloween is just around the corner and my 14 year old son wants to dress as a Gangsta Thug.
He has the saggy pants and the fake gold chains but wants to accessorize his costume with a realistic toy 9mm.
I live in a part of the Country where guns and nightly shootings are an important part of our culture.
CONFUSED ABOUT HALLOWEEN IN CHICAGO

DEAR CONFUSED: Guns may be an important part of the culture where you live, but how do you feel about them? If it's all right with you, and the weapon your child carries is obviously a toy, then there should be no problem as you take him from house to house collecting his goodies.

:s0064:Abby never gave this advice for real, just my attempt at a joke.

Last Edited:
My response would have been....
Whoa Abby!!!:eek: Knocking on doors in Chicago?:eek::eek:
Kids younger than that have been shot holding toy guns and
a lot of 14 year old's are bigger than adults these days.o_O:mad:

My response would have been....
Whoa Abby!!!:eek: Knocking on doors in Chicago?:eek::eek:
Kids younger than that have been shot holding toy guns and
a lot of 14 year old's are bigger than adults these days.o_O:mad:
I couldn't tell by your response if you got the joke or not. I think you did but anyway I'll add a disclaimer to it just in case

The kind of stuff that comes out of MSM these days, no matter who...I thought it was the truth.:(
I wouldn't doubt some urban Dad would think it "cute" to pimp up his young teens costume with a realistic toy gun to stuff down the front of his saggy pants and send him knocking on doors.
Then cry a river of tears when his little angel got shot because of it.
Probably the age cut off for toy guns with costumes should be 7 or 8 and limited to western 6 shooters or sci-fi lasers.
Aw what the heck! nobody's going to mistake a little tyke in Marine Cammo with a plastic M-16 slung over his back as the real deal either. Or are they????? Glad I've got girls!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top