JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've had a special pallet of sorts that I'd put on saw-horses to fillet salmon and steelhead. But they look like they might be some of those crazy bony suckers?
No, not any more bony than any other fish, but it is winter. Not really fun doing that outside, in the dark well below freezing, and probably snowing lol.

And they, like lake trout and whitefish, are really slimy on the outside.

Here are a bunch of lake trout fillets:

20230807_211217.jpg

Pain to clean, they didn't fit in my sink. Had to use the bathtub.
Not laughing at you for using the bathtub.

Laughing because as a child, I was allowed to skip a bath because there was huge tuna fish 🐟 laying on ice in the tub. He was keeping the rubber-ducky company.
I think I remember it so well because I was happy to skip the bath, and it was the best canned tuna (in jars) that I have ever had.

I sure miss fishing, but now I enjoy seeing others making a haul.

Last Edited:
No, not any more bony than any other fish, but it is winter. Not really fun doing that outside, in the dark well below freezing, and probably snowing lol.

And they, like lake trout and whitefish, are really slimy on the outside.

Here are a bunch of lake trout fillets:

View attachment 1869182

That meat is Beautiful!
When I lived in Utah I'd fish the Weber river in winter for mountain whitefish. Didn't fillet, just scale, gut and smoke them. Used to fish Utah Lake in March with chest waders for walleye. White bass were a plentiful side-catch and it wasn't uncommon to be filleting 50 or so of those outside until after dark.

There's another, for a fee, ODFW miserable FAILURE! Devils lake used to be a good fishery for the fishing public. Then they planted grass carp, that destroyed the weeds in the lake. So the wealthy "Splash and Giggle" boaters that lived around the lake had the entire lake to splash and giggle on. Away went the bass because of lack of cover and food, and any food that may have been there for the trout they would plant. So they'll go in there and dump a bunch of pellet head trout, and call it a party. For an entry fee of course. Yay.

:s0066: ODFW

There's another, for a fee, ODFW miserable FAILURE! Devils lake used to be a good fishery for the fishing public. Then they planted grass carp, that destroyed the weeds in the lake. So the wealthy "Splash and Giggle" boaters that lived around the lake had the entire lake to splash and giggle on. Away went the bass because of lack of cover and food, and any food that may have been there for the trout they would plant. So they'll go in there and dump a bunch of pellet head trout, and call it a party. For an entry fee of course. Yay.

:s0066: ODFW
What fee are you babbling about? All you have to have is a fishing license.

What fee are you babbling about? All you have to have is a fishing license.
You think they will have no fees to get into Devils Lake. Parking fees? And BTW, the cost for two adults to fish is up to $89.00 for a basic fishing license. May be higher seeing as we quit buying them And if a couple want salmon/steelhead tags it's near a C-Note, on top of that for two. The lake is a mere shadow of what it was for fishermen 20 or so years ago.

Good Lord, Mike. The OP asked about fishing spots in Oregon, I only posted about a fishing activity he might enjoy. But go ahead and make it about you and your "feelings." So I may as well torque you some more. A resident combination hunting and fishing license costs me $6.00/ year and I get day use into federal and state parks for free, I have to pay to camp though. How is this possible you ask? Well I'm a disabled Vet, over 65 and have been a resident of Oregon for over 50 years.

I have to pay to camp though.
Do you have an America the Beautiful senior lifetime pass? I'm not sure where all they are good at, but they get you into Crater Lake for free and cut our camping fees at Diamond Lake in half. For a one-time $80 that will have a very short payback period for me and my family. I think they are good for National Parks and U.S. Forest Service campgrounds among other things. We camp at Diamond Lake every year. There have been some good fishing years, but the last couple of years not so good. We are more of a hunting family than a fishing family though. My son has taken a keener interest in fishing than I currently have. I fished a lot more when I was younger.

As a disabled Vet I have The America The Beautiful Access Lifetime Pass for the Federal parks and a Special access pass for Oregon State parks. Oregon pass is good for 10 years at a time. I don't fish much anymore, I grew up fishing for Native Cut-throat in high mountain or coastal streams and you can't fish like that anymore. I have gone down on the Umpqua in the summer and hammered the Small Mouth but it was all catch and release for fun. Bass is a trash fish to me, fun to catch though. Now days if I want fish I'll go to Chucks Seafood in Charleston for right off the boat Salmon or Tuna.

My early fishing consisted of salt water fishing mostly in Oyster Bay near Bremerton, WA. There was always something to catch that was good eating. My brother and I caught two dozen perch, 2 - 3 pounders in an afternoon. Great for fish and chips.

There were cutthroat runs and fly fishing in the narrows between Oyster bay and a smaller bay. When the tide changed it would turn into rapids. The cutthroat loved flies that we made up. The largest was a 5 pounder caught with a dandelion. At very low tides, it would draw down to 3 - 4 feet deep.

Lots of flatfish, flounder and sole. Every once n a while we would get salmon in the bay, but not often enough. Puget sound was salmon heaven.

Caught lots of unusual fish using spider lures - 4 or 5 treble hooks with a large weight. You just had to reel it in very fast.

Never had any luck in the Columbia. It was just an excuse to drink beer.

Good Lord, Mike. The OP asked about fishing spots in Oregon, I only posted about a fishing activity he might enjoy. But go ahead and make it about you and your "feelings." So I may as well torque you some more. A resident combination hunting and fishing license costs me $6.00/ year and I get day use into federal and state parks for free, I have to pay to camp though. How is this possible you ask? Well I'm a disabled Vet, over 65 and have been a resident of Oregon for over 50 years.
You are a God.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR