JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
DSC00667.jpg

I've always wondered if it is safe to fire a round that has had this happen to it. It happens in my 1911 (not as bad as the posted pic). anybody know?

Yes, this is factory .357 Sig from Winchester. Caused by excessive chambering in a handgun. I was too lazy to buy some more ammunition. I'm not blaming the company by any means, I wanted to document it here.

Well, the projectile is free in there at this point. I can push and pull it about 2 mm each way, spin it, etc. I'd have to use pliers to remove it, though. When I discovered it, though, it wasn't quite this far back.

Figured I would share.

Yes, this is dangerous. Bullet setback from repeated chamberings is one of the leading causes of ka-booms with police departments. When the bullet is set back further there is less usable case volume an dpressures will increase.

Win QC may be going downhill. A couple of months ago my brother visited with his new AR (LMT upper) and boxes of Winchester white box 55 gr FMJ. Even though the bulelt has a crimping cannelure, the case mouths were NOT crimped and most of the bullets would set back like the above photo on the FIRST chambering. Lucky that also jammed it enough to prevent it from firing.

We were shocked and dismayed that factory ammo would be so poorly assembled. This happened to about 2/3 - 3/4 of two boxes of 20. We finally gave up on the WWB ammo and shot up some Fiocchi and handloads.

I've always thought Win was good ammo but this was the WORST ammo I have ever seen first hand. Perhaps the mad rush to meet demand is taking its toll on humans and machines?

I have seen this happen after repeated chamberings of Remington .45acp. Best to toss it if it looks that bad, but I have fired rounds that have a little setback. For that reason, many people only chamber a round once if carry ammo, then if they need to eject it, mark it somehow and put it aside for range ammo. I have heard of some people marking a round on the projectile around the rim of the brass with a sharpie so they can see if it seats further into the casing.

I've put a caliper on my bullets and even after several chamberings in my XD40sc and XDm40, showed no signs of set back... This is with Winchester PDX1 ammo FWIW, so I don't worry about this too much..

Wow, more interesting feedback than I was expecting. Thank you.

It's from an H&K P2000, which I would assume is relatively rough with the rounds. Still, I don't know how valid this assumption is, considering how many times this round had been chambered. I just need to buy and rotate my ammunition. If there is a particular brand of .357 SIG that any of you recommend, though, I'll start buying it instead. I'm not too picky about the ballistics or the load, as long as it feeds reliably, fires, and doesn't wear on the weapon too much, my mind is at peace.

I was once shooting a pistol caliber carbine, and one of the cartridges didn't chamber and the bullet was pushed backwards into the shell. After i emptied the magazine, i picked this cartridge up, dropped it in the chamber without a care, and fired it. Now i know.

I'm confused. I don't buy much factory ammo, but is that a white box? Is that the box the ammo came in? The ammo appears to be JHP? Could those be reloads packaged in a white box? ??

It isn't possible to tell from the photo, but I don't see much crimp. ??

I'm confused. I don't buy much factory ammo, but is that a white box? Is that the box the ammo came in? The ammo appears to be JHP? Could those be reloads packaged in a white box? ??

It isn't possible to tell from the photo, but I don't see much crimp. ??

Winchester makes White Box JHP's at least in .357 Sig, in fact I have some for sale on this site.;)

...seems to have gone down the pan recently, if our experiences over here in yUK are anything to go by.

With a membership of almost 230 shooters, many of whom are professionally involved in shooting as game wardens, pest control officers, park rangers and so on, there are a goodly number of different calibres to see most every day of the week on our ranges.

In the last month, I have actually seen, with my own eye-trumpets, brand-new out-of-the-box Winchester rifle ammunition destroyed on the first firing from extensive neck-cracking - calibres include .308Win, .243 and .270 and some VERY expensive 25-06 [around $220/C here, BTW].

Also a larger than usual numbers of FTF from what must be the hardest primers on earth.

Needless to say, our local dealers are plenty p*ssed with this lack of QC - ammunition over here is expensive enough, without having the problems of returning it to the distributors and mollifying annoyed customers.

tac

I've put a caliper on my bullets and even after several chamberings in my XD40sc and XDm40, showed no signs of set back... This is with Winchester PDX1 ammo FWIW, so I don't worry about this too much..

The only time I got setbacks on chambered rounds in that XDm was with brass range ammo. Even then, it was barely detectable with the naked eye. The personal defense stuff in nickle cases never did it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top