JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've decided I want to sell off a couple of mid-range handguns and splurge on one really nice handgun. Something I won't want to replace any time in the near future - and hopefully something with parts available for customizing down the road, should I choose to do so.

I'm a big fan of CZ for many reasons including being metal framed, hammer fired, quality built and having good aftermarket support.

I'm looking to spend between $800 and $1,200 new or used...the lower end of that scale being if I found something used at a good price.

I can pick up a Shadow 2 at that price, but I'm curious if there is anything else a CZ fanboy like me should be checking out before committing...

I love my CZ's but recently picked up a Walter Q5 Match. It's a great gun but strays from the requirements of metal frame and hammer fired. Still think it's worth a look. Personally, I prefer the 75b to the shadow. Not many will likely agree with me but I think the shadow and SP-01 are just a bit heavy. There a great things about them but just a bit....portly for me.

Anybody have any experience with higher end Tanfoglio/EAA Witness match or elite guns? They make them in 10mm which is tempting too... although I'd probably stay with 9mm for reasons of buying bulk ammo...

I love my CZ's but recently picked up a Walter Q5 Match. It's a great gun but strays from the requirements of metal frame and hammer fired. Still think it's worth a look. Personally, I prefer the 75b to the shadow. Not many will likely agree with me but I think the shadow and SP-01 are just a bit heavy. There a great things about them but just a bit....portly for me.
I have a p01 omega that I love but I don't actually own any full size handguns and it's an itch I need to scratch

Anybody have any experience with higher end Tanfoglio/EAA Witness match or elite guns? They make them in 10mm which is tempting too... although I'd probably stay with 9mm for reasons of buying bulk ammo...

I have been tempted several times with the EAA witness match/elite/etc high end versions in 10mm. Not sure I would do a different caliber if I went with a unicorn like that. To me, something in that class deserves the more obscure 10mm caliber. Luckily for me, I haven't been able to find one in person to fondle and take home. Buds is the only place I've seen them available regularly. Buds is great too if you haven't bought from them.

I am trying to pick up a CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange but they are rarer than hens teeth at the moment. Basically a SAO Shadow 2 with a Czechmate frame with no comp.

All depends on what you're going to use your full-size pistol for. Shadow 2 is an amazing pistol, but pretty heavy and not practical for any kind of carry ... I will never sell mine. The Sig X5 or Glock 34 might be more practical and both amazing shooters as well. Haven't tried the Walther Q5 (polymer or SF) but that would also be a good choice.

CZ Tactical Sport Orange, a few bucks more than your $1,200 limit. But an incredible shooter, if you ever get a group larger than an inch, it was you not the gun.

Walther has a new metal frame PPQ target pistol coming out "soon"

PPL is my daily carry gun, great guns, the new gun is on the Walther website

I am trying to pick up a CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange but they are rarer than hens teeth at the moment. Basically a SAO Shadow 2 with a Czechmate frame with no comp.
well and its a SAO vs a DA/SA also they are 2 very different beasts I have a shadow 2 and went from a TS to a TSO and both are great guns but it is going to depend on what he is doing with it if he is going Limited class he should go TS or TSO if production Shadow 2

well and its a SAO vs a DA/SA also they are 2 very different beasts I have a shadow 2 and went from a TS to a TSO and both are great guns but it is going to depend on what he is doing with it if he is going Limited class he should go TS or TSO if production Shadow 2

Yeah very true wasn't sure if there was a specific comp. division he was competing in or just wanted a fun shooter. I was looking at the CZ Shadow 2, but don't require a DA/SA for production.

The Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame would have my attention if I was looking for a production gun (but that's a whole different beast)

Yeah very true wasn't sure if there was a specific comp. division he was competing in or just wanted a fun shooter. I was looking at the CZ Shadow 2, but don't require a DA/SA for production.

The Walther PPQ Q5 Match Steel Frame would have my attention if I was looking for a production gun (but that's a whole different beast)
No competition, just looking for something that feels great in the hands and is very accurate. I'd also like it to be super reliable. I'm just kind of "over" polymer pistols. I have one as my CCW but aside from that, I feel like I'm working away from them in general.

No competition, just looking for something that feels great in the hands and is very accurate. I'd also like it to be super reliable. I'm just kind of "over" polymer pistols. I have one as my CCW but aside from that, I feel like I'm working away from them in general.

I would definitely consider a single action only pistol simply cause I like the consisten awesome trigger pull. The double action trigger on the shadow 2 is supposed to be great still though.

I think the Tactical Sport (not the Orange) is closer to the budget you mentioned.

If you want something that checks the boxes without being a CZ, a Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 would be pretty awesome but single stack.

I would definitely consider a single action only pistol simply cause I like the consisten awesome trigger pull. The double action trigger on the shadow 2 is supposed to be great still though.

I think the Tactical Sport (not the Orange) is closer to the budget you mentioned.

If you want something that checks the boxes without being a CZ, a Dan Wesson 9mm 1911 would be pretty awesome but single stack.
my TS came with a 1.7 pound trigger out the box

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads