JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you prefer the SIG MPX, CZ Scorpian or HK SP5K?

• SIG MPX

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • CZ Scorpian EVO 3

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • HK SP5K \

Votes: 12 26.1%

• Total voters
Reactions
3B2A37A1-C596-419C-8390-FB6E4C09CFF3.jpeg
Left to right: SIG MPX, HK SP5K, CZ Scorpian EVO 3 S1

After a full year+ of all three in the safe figured I would share my experiences. All started with a lowly CZ Scorpion. Then the SIG MPX followed by the HK SP5K. Both the CZ and the SIG are on Form 1 SBR's. The HK is still and will remain a pistol.

Hard numbers:
CZ = $ 850
SIG = $1600
HK = $2600

Mag Costs:
CZ = $20 ($14 on sale)
SIG = $79 Gen 2
HK = $89 original German

Shooting:
The smoothness of the HK is a clear winner. For me its buttery with the delayed roller system. The SIG with its micro gas piston is next up and the CZ is harder hitting with the pure blow back system. However overall its very, very thin differences. Especially when they are form 1 SBR's with a real stock.

Accuracy:
All are on par with each other for me. It's 100% down to the person holding them, they are all extremely accurate.

Suppressed:
Only the CZ and the SIG are set up for supression. The SIG is running a In Lead We Trust barrell and gas block. It's extreamly touchy and most subs FTE. The ILWT set up needs a bigger gas hole. Supper Sonics operate just fine in the SIG. I have stopped messing with it and just put a birdcage flash hider on it and no longer running it suppressed. The CZ running a HB Industries mirco barrel, it does not care and runs anything you feed it. Sub, supper does not matter, just runs them flawless. Feeds a round, lead down range and brass out, every time.

The SIG is crazy gassy suppressed. And a full mag dump with the sight welded up to your cheek your eyes are watering. The CZ, well nothing, no gas in the face suppressed.

HK SP5K: Just something to have in the collection as a real HK. It's old tech most of these new guns measure up too. It's fun to take to the range and shoot. But its old tech, I mean little things like the bolt does not stay open on last round fired. Unless you count all 30, you go to the click. I know that's Old School HK but for $2600....? Still a fun gun to have in the safe.

Overall fun, the one that is always in the range bag.....

CZ Scorpion hands down. This gun is so much fun to shoot suppressed or un-suppressed. It's crazy small package that with the CZ brace on the Form 1 is very smooth and easy to put lead on target. $$ is not what makes a great gun, its the design. CZ killed it with this package, its about the most fun on the range as possible. I like the SIG but with its finicky load needs and the FTE issues with subs keeps it in the safe. (Yes due to the ILWT set up) Also cleaning the CZ is about 1/2 the time as the SIG or the HK due to how simple the gun is. Way easier to own 10+ mags when you can get them on sale for $14 each too. I now have 6 Scorpions in differing configurations, carbines to pistols. The Form 1 one in the photo is what almost always goes to the range. With a SIG SRD9 Supressor on the front end it will put a grin on just about anyone's face.

However a B&T APC9 is on my list but I doubt it can knock the CZ off the top.

What do you prefer?

I have a CZ evo semi auto.
I like it a lot but the trigger could be better, a lot better.
It is reliable as in no malfunction of any kind through the several hundred rounds I've put through it so far. And it is accurate.
It's a keeper
I have zero experience with the other firearms mentioned so... No comment.

I've owned almost all of the PCC 9s and still own a bunch. Shot pretty close to all of them.

My favorite is a tie between the Sig, when properly tuned, and the CMMG with it's delayed blowback. Second place probably goes to the Ruger PC Carbine. Not on your list, but silly fun to shoot and fairly light recoil.

I've never owned a HK or clone or the Sig, just shot many others. I definitely think they up there in ease of use and recoil mitigation. I could sort of justify the cost of the Sig as it is close to the CMMG, I can't justify the HKs or clones at their prices. So I'll just gladly play with others that can, that are willing to let me shoot them.

I've briefly rented a Scorpion. I was going to go full blown crazy mode on it and start replacing all the needed parts to make it more ergonomic, but I just couldn't do it. Fun gun though. Definitely more recoil than some.

The only new one I may end up trying next is a MAC clone with brace adapter. Or maybe the Stribog now that they come with non reciprocating thumb killers.

I put a decent AR9 together for shooting fast, it's super enjoyable to shoot as well. Lately it gets more use than the rest.

All of them are really enjoyable shooters. Thanks for sharing your results and long term experience!

Good information in OP, thanks Helocat.

I've been on the fence with the Scorpion, the other two are out of my league cost wise.

I'd want something that is legal for use in speed steel, which I assume would mean the Scorpion EVO 3 S1 Carbine model? I don't think speed steel allows the use of a brace?

BIG fanboy of PCC's. Don't own any of these. If I was to buy one? I would go with the CZ only because of price. For that kind of price difference I would be glad to live with the CZ.
Now if Ruger would make a "pistol" on the PCC platform, with a brace? Ohhhhh boy. I would again be buying one off the auction rather than wait till they started to show up in shops here :)

Good information in OP, thanks Helocat.

I've been on the fence with the Scorpion, the other two are out of my league cost wise.

I'd want something that is legal for use in speed steel, which I assume would mean the Scorpion EVO 3 S1 Carbine model? I don't think speed steel allows the use of a brace?

Not sure what the requirements are for speed steel. Carbine or Form 1 and SBR a pistol, then with a real CZ stock. The one in the photo is this way and its outstanding.

One PCC package I did not put in this line up is the Kriss Vector in 9mm. My oldest son has bugged me for two+ years to get one due to its popularity in video games. I always said, "If I want to shoot Glock mags, I have Glocks to do that with". But this yr for his 18th birthday I surprised him with one. It lives in my safe until he is 21 to own it on his own of course. We have just over 6 months of use with it. I left it out of my opinionated/review as its just, well kind of silly. (and it will not balance on its mag..... joke) Ya its cool and different but man is it heavy, very blocky and goes to the range only for the cool factor. Its great for new shooters that are young and play all the video games as it, the HK SP5K and the PS90 are the ones the recognize and can't wait to shoot. It runs suppressed great. But this is not the first, nor the last gun to have just for the fun of it. I will not be grabbing it as the first, second or third choice for SHTF.

IMG_2882.jpg

I voted for the Sig MPX.
I have shot all of those that you mentioned and agree with your assessments mostly.... I don't know how you can throw the Sig under the bus when it is clearly an aftermarket part that gives you the displeasure you are experiencing.
No gas in my face on the stock Sig MPX, suppressed or un-suppressed, it didn't matter. I agree the HK is the smoothest cycling and that the CZ bumps the hardest with the blowback action (it is lighter than the other two guns also). The CZ is cheaper by about half of the price of the Sig and about a third or more cheaper than the H&K. The CZ feels "cheap" to me, and, well it is, compared to the other two.

Not surprised that the CZ is leading the poll here, it is what most people can rationalize spending, or can afford for a "toy" gun.

Shot the Kriss too, it is very heavy and the recoil impulse is strange to get used to.

My vote is for the scorpion. It's the only one I have shot and it is a blast. Haven't shot any groups with it to check accuracy but put the dot on the target and it will hit. Was hitting clays with it at about 75 yards. Eventually I would like to suppress it and keep the same look. Someone makes an over the barrel suppressor so I would need to shorten the barrel by 4 in. I would need to sbr it or replace the stock with a brace
20181117_094137.jpg

I have a PTR 9kt SBR , and a 4, 11.5 and 16 inch AR9's. I run tri lugs on them and a Liberty Cosmic. I like shooting them all and none are gassy and like most everything sub or super , except the really flat nose subs sometimes on my 16". I think if I could have only one it would still be the roller lock. I've wanted one since i was a boy and my GI Joe had one. I am debating on a CZ though and will probably get one to form 1 in the near future because you can never have too many.

9kt.jpg AR9 4.jpg IMG_20180601_211841_zpsf7xjo2pk.jpg

I'm curious about the GHM-9. As a scorpion owner, I also found it inexpensive to get into, hut it became expensive when personalized.

Lets looks at a short list:
OEM cheekrest: $150
Tailhook brace: $120
(OR SBR stamp $200+$40 for the stock insert)
Micro conversion: $300
New safety: $0(dremel) to $65/ea
New grip: $50
QD mount? trigger? Handstops? Lights?

The list grows easily, lol!

Love mine, but wonder if the GHM-9 wouldn't have me just as happy with similar money out in the end.

I'm curious about the GHM-9. As a scorpion owner, I also found it inexpensive to get into, hut it became expensive when personalized.

Lets looks at a short list:
OEM cheekrest: $150
Tailhook brace: $120
(OR SBR stamp $200+$40 for the stock insert)
Micro conversion: $300
New safety: $0(dremel) to $65/ea
New grip: $50
QD mount? trigger? Handstops? Lights?

The list grows easily, lol!

Love mine, but wonder if the GHM-9 wouldn't have me just as happy with similar money out in the end.

There's the issue.... never add up the accessories costs! He he he. Ya I get you. The Scorp in the photo has additional/mods that almost 2x it as a stock pistol. Not a race to for the lowest cost system, but non the less cost is always a factor. My main like for the Scorp is how much fun it is to shoot. Also with the Form 1 SBR, OEM folding stock, and the HB industries Micro kit on it, it's tiny. Most of us can't leave well enough alone and keep modifying.. :)

I voted for the Sig MPX.
I have shot all of those that you mentioned and agree with your assessments mostly.... I don't know how you can throw the Sig under the bus when it is clearly an aftermarket part that gives you the displeasure you are experiencing.
No gas in my face on the stock Sig MPX, suppressed or un-suppressed, it didn't matter. I agree the HK is the smoothest cycling and that the CZ bumps the hardest with the blowback action (it is lighter than the other two guns also). The CZ is cheaper by about half of the price of the Sig and about a third or more cheaper than the H&K. The CZ feels "cheap" to me, and, well it is, compared to the other two.

Not surprised that the CZ is leading the poll here, it is what most people can rationalize spending, or can afford for a "toy" gun.

Shot the Kriss too, it is very heavy and the recoil impulse is strange to get used to.

I love the SIG's myself. Almost all of my simi auto rifles are sigs. Also, my opinionated/review is not intended to throw the SIG under the bus, its a nice weapon. I also made sure to point out the FTE issues are due to the aftermarket parts, ILWT should make their gas portholes bigger. I have not 100% given up on the MPX, I will come back and This review is just a recap of a full year plus of what gets pulled out of the safe 2 or 3x per week to go to the range. That little CZ is almost always with me. Even on bolt gun days, the CZ is along to have fun with why the bolt's cool between strings.

I am sure the HK is a blast as an SBR. I just don't have it in me to start modifying that thing. Its outside my paygrade do it. I will stick with the SIG and the CZ.

I love the SIG's myself. Almost all of my simi auto rifles are sigs. Also, my opinionated/review is not intended to throw the SIG under the bus, its a nice weapon. I also made sure to point out the FTE issues are due to the aftermarket parts, ILWT should make their gas portholes bigger. I have not 100% given up on the MPX, I will come back and This review is just a recap of a full year plus of what gets pulled out of the safe 2 or 3x per week to go to the range. That little CZ is almost always with me. Even on bolt gun days, the CZ is along to have fun with why the bolt's cool between strings.

I am sure the HK is a blast as an SBR. I just don't have it in me to start modifying that thing. Its outside my paygrade do it. I will stick with the SIG and the CZ.
I'd keep working that Sig. They are amazing guns. A frequent shooter at TCGC has one for speed steel. It's much heavier than my rig, but it has virtually zero recoil, and is stupid fast. He usually places 1st.

I have an 8" Sig MPX that has a sliding stock and an over-the-barrel Amtac Hornet can on it. (adds about 3 1/2" in length). No blowback on me. Shoots great on steel and with a red dot hits everything in front of it.

I own the CZ and HK and SBR'ed them. I have shot the Sig and I agree with your assessment. I prefer the CZ for competition shooting as it is so reliable and the mods I put on it make it fun to shoot. You do have to put quite a bit of money into the CZ to get it where you want though. The HK is one I have always wanted to own and now that I do, I have zero regrets. Smoothest shooting SBR in the market IMO and the cool movie factor is there. I am now moving to build a solid 10.5 inch AR 5.56 SBR to add to the arsenal. Then I will done for a while. I hope.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top