JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When I was six this danged Cocker Spaniel ran out of a yard and bit me! Twice! I got tired of this chit so I got my feet up on the seat of my monster, 26" Schwinn Springer and roared on down the hill! At the bottom, dog runs out, yappin', I leap, feet land on the mutts rib cage, CAARRRRUUUNNCH!!!! Picked the, now surprisingly less vocal, dog up by the hind legs and tossed it up on the guys front porch!
Hey mister, I just rode in on the wild, Eastern Nevada, desert express turnip truck!!! I'm probably not going to grow up to be a snowflake!

Cockers are only one notch above yapping wieners and chiuauas.... ;)

Apparently in those days dogs saw bicyclists as threats, and were very prone to attacking them as they rode by, hence the proliferation of small handguns used by the valiant two-wheelers to defend themselves from predation...

tac

They still do today. Dogs are a real problem for cyclists and motorcyclists. The latter can outrun them but a large dog can get tangled up in the bike and cause serious problems if the dog times it right. On the flat, a good bicyclist can outrun most dogs, but not uphill. When I rode there were a few times I had to stop to dissuade a dog - that usually throws off their attack as they do not expect it. A lot of bicyclists use their water bottle, sometimes filled with something special if they know of a problem dog, to squirt the dog. Some dogs will simply not be dissuaded and need something stronger.

Firearms at the, ahem, more economical end of the price scale, like this one, were made by the tens of thousands, mostly in Belgium. As noted, I'd be surprised if there were totally NO stamps on it, but it's not unusual.

From the nose of the hammer it looks like a rimfire cartridge, but only the OP can advise us what fits, remembering that ANY .22 rimfire cartridge is around 5.56mm in diameter, and will happily snick into that chamber.

We really need to see ALL the markings, especially those at the rear of the cylinder, to ascertain the nationality of the producers.

The ELG cartouche anywhere = Belgian, and the location of the 'star' within the ELG cartouche will give us an approximate date of production. ELG, BTW, stands for Épreuve Liége, the Liége Proof House.

Just don't expect to retire to the Bananas on the strength of selling this gun, OK?

tac

Firearms at the, ahem, more economical end of the price scale, like this one, were made by the tens of thousands, mostly in Belgium. As noted, I'd be surprised if there were totally NO stamps on it, but it's not unusual.

From the nose of the hammer it looks like a rimfire cartridge, but only the OP can advise us what fits, remembering that ANY .22 rimfire cartridge is around 5.56mm in diameter, and will happily snick into that chamber.

We really need to see ALL the markings, especially those at the rear of the cylinder, to ascertain the nationality of the producers.

The ELG cartouche anywhere = Belgian, and the location of the 'star' within the ELG cartouche will give us an approximate date of production. ELG, BTW, stands for Épreuve Liége, the Liége Proof House.

Just don't expect to retire to the Bananas on the strength of selling this gun, OK?

tac
I think I paid around $200-$250 for it only because of the co condition and how well it cycle. Also I factored in how neat it was.

tac
Also, thank you again for sharing all your knowledge

This was taken shortly after the incident with the Pyrenean Mountain Dog that had attacked me in during the course of my velocipedal exercises...

Penny_Farthing_Crash.png

I was but eighteen years old at the time, and it quite put me orff bicycling for the next many years.

tac

I had a paper route for about 10 years as a child/teen and developed some real good jumping up on cars and kicking large dogs in the head skills. I'm proud to say that I react pretty reasonably to dog's nowadays from those experiences. recently I was walking my 16 pound "kick dog" in North Portland and some tweeker @sshole's Pitbull mix ran out of nowhere at us and I grabbed my little guy by the harness and lifted him over my head like a rifle getting carried across a river. A few days later in front of my apartment at about 3am the dog was sticking his head in a bush and got startled, I started to mock him and say "did a little critter scare you bud"-I turned around to a adolescent sized possum about a foot from us and we both shrieked like little girls.

Lot of dogs like that in the Tri-Cities where I grew up. I actually named the bike pump that attached to the frame 'Dog Crunker' because I used it to 'Crunk!' so many dogs that where chasing me on the head. What annoyed me where the people who got mad when you Crunked! their dog after sitting there on the porch watching the thing chase you down :mad:

When I was a 10yr old kid and riding my bike down a street one day, I had a Mastif tear out of his yard and come after me... I actually screamed (shreiked actually). I managed to keep the bike between me and the dog, and it finally gave up and went back into its own yard... the filthy bubblegumer!

Last Edited:
My brother and I have imported a batch of guns similar to that one from Argentina and Uruguay, South America. Most all of European Mfg. If there are no marks, it is most likely a Spanish build, the Spanish copied everyone and everything and seldom marked the weapons with anything more than fitters numbers and serial numbers. The serial numbers were a joke, they often started over at 25. That little job is a Velo Dog version of the pinfire pocket revolver made by a host of makers in Belgium. They simply took what parts they had in stock and modified them for the center fire VeloDog Ctg. Neat little gun, I wouldn't fire it on a bet.

More likely to have been made in Belgium. It appears to be a pocket revolver of the kind called a 'Velo-dog'. Much bought and used by bicyclists to defend themselves against dog attacks. Apparently in those days dogs saw bicyclists as threats, and were very prone to attacking them as they rode by, hence the proliferation of small handguns used by the valiant two-wheelers to defend themselves from predation...

tac
Hahaa lmao

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews