JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife got me hooked on the small S&W top-breaks and being me I had to research them. In the course of this I fell in love with the 'Bicycle' model and it's .38 S&W counterpart. Of course these things are collectable as hell and thus expensive. I bemoaned this sad fact to her and she shrugged and said, "make your own." I said, "I could do that." next thing I know it she was on gunbroker and snagged not one but two S&W .38 Safety Hammerless 4th models.

So I bobbed and re-crowned the barrel at 1-5/8" (because it looked right that way,) cleaned the gun up and made an ergonomic grip. Well, several actually; never made grips for a handgun and there was a learning curve. I finally finished the gun in 'antique gray.'
eZIQTh1.jpg
The trigger is typical of these old Smiths- a bit heavy but silky smooth. Slightly smaller than a J-Frame it carries easily in a pocket or holster. .38 S&W isn't the most potent round but it will do the job. I load a Hornady 148gr HBWC over 2.7 grains of Unique with a CCI primer. Not too hot for the gun, accurate as hell and decent penetration. The tiny sights are surprisingly effective; yeah, the sight radius is super-short, but this places the front and rear sights in the same focal plane which seems to work for me. Since I spend most of my day in my workshop and this is usually the gun I drop in my pocket I'd have to call it my EDC. Typically I'll carry a speed-strip for reloading.

How does it shoot? Pretty darn good, actually- this is a 7-yard rapid-fire target-
tsr0xl4.jpg
This is definitely in the running for my favorite revolver.

Got any .38 S&W brass you want to part with? I'm getting an old Iver Johnson Safety Hamermess Top Break together but only been able to scrounge about 100 pieces

Only have about 150 myself. I had some extra but sent them to a fella on another forum. Sorry! You can buy new brass from Starline though- that's what I wound up doing.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top