JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've shot recurve bows for a decade or so. When my bow finally broke last year I picked up a compound bow and love it. (My recurve was 20+ years old when I got it and it lasted me about 10 years)

Two things to keep in mind.

1. Get a fetching kit and wax. You have almost as muh maintenance on archery as you do rifle shooting.
2. Compound bows (and crossbows) will wear out much faster than a standard recurve. A well built recurve will last a lifetime. (you will likely have to change the string at some point)

If you are in/near Vancouver head over to Mill Plain and Grand and check out Archery World.

The guys in there are a wealth of information on the subject.

realistically as far as storing something for this, if you are a minimalist, all you need really is a few solid steel broad heads to through in your kit and you can make the rest as you go. could be used for making arrows to go with you hand made bow or on a spear for fishing or small game.

+1 with JackThompson. When I took my recently purchased, older compound bow in to Archery World last week they told me that it needed a new string, and that string life was only two years even with proper care! A new string was at a minimum $146! So new bow! My plan is to try to build my ruined shoulder up and get a take down recurve with extra strings etc. I'm darned sure that your average Joe Nambu is never going fashion a bow with the power and shootability of a modern recurve! LOL!!!

I bought a 150lb draw crossbow from Big 5 a few days back. Bought one of those crossbow cocking assists as well on Amazon. Just got it strung last night and am looking forward to trying it out. Got it for 1/2 price and figured it could be at least a backup if out of gun ammo. Seems solid but hard to tell as I know little yet about them.

Wrist rockets/slingshots are really underrated. If you are being pelted with 3/8" steel balls at 20-30 yards are you going to be advancing or looking for cover? Fun little side hobby too. You can get unbelievably accurate with those things.

Hope it was a scope for a pellet gun as a regular rifle scope isn't made for the vibrations of a pellet rifle. Some scopes will vibrate apart on a pellet rifle in no time.

But mine is a older Gamo,maybe 10 years old and it still shoots accurately.But it has a crack to it so not close to silent
I see at the local gun shop that sells them,they have one with a suppressor on it. Maybe because it only reduces it so much it is legal?
Haven't shot one so can't say how quiet it is.
These should work at close range on rabbits and some birds for a meal

Or worse

Atf only tries to regulate firearms, you can make your pellet gun as you like. Cabelas has a couple of nice ones with suppressors on them but i got the same gamo gun but without a suppressor a lil cheaper. It does have that thwack sound

it is very possible to make a strong bow by hand. made a long bow when i was 15 that shot 200 yards but was hard to fire accurately past 50. its all about how you cure the wood. i used ground bone dust to strengthen yew.

The little jerks driving around shooting random car windows out with their pellet gun in LO and SW PDX haven't been back. Maybe all the news reports scared them off.

If they were caught and under 18 I am sure they would have got just a hand slap since they weren't using a 'real' firearm.

The little jerks driving around shooting random car windows out with their pellet gun in LO and SW PDX haven't been back. Maybe all the news reports scared them off.

If they were caught and under 18 I am sure they would have got just a hand slap since they weren't using a 'real' firearm.

I believe in zero regulation of firearms & not 'real' firearms. But i also believe in killing or at least beating the bubblegum out of little jerks shooting the windows out of my car when me or my family is in it. Wether its done by real or not 'real' firearms.

I'm all for super duper air rifles in urban hunting, bows not so much because those arrows are easy to spot and I know from watching KOIN News that they do not always kill those poor helpless geese, which for some reason no-one recognises them for what they actually are: Disease laden flying dinosaurs!

Wrist rockets/slingshots are really underrated. If you are being pelted with 3/8" steel balls at 20-30 yards are you going to be advancing or looking for cover? Fun little side hobby too. You can get unbelievably accurate with those things.

Most people think of wrist rockets being used to shoot ball bearings, marbles or rocks.

But, you can also use wrist rockets to shoot arrows. You can modify them to even use a release, just like you would for a bow.

People have used wrist rockets to hunt all kinds of game, here is just one example.
Chris Stanley's 1st Big Game Slingshot / Slingbow and Arrow Hawaiian Wild Pig Kill - YouTube

Wow, just saw a hunting show with a guy shooting a Horton, compound crossbow! Jeeze! Very powerful, fast bolt acceleration, very high tech! Bolt was interesting too, two long sets of fletchings and what appeared to be a four blade mechanical broad head. Pretty darned cool!

Just ordered this:

Bear Archery Fisix Crossbow Package Illuminated - MPN: A6FSXFD135

fisix_sand.png

Bear Fisix - 135# 375 fps forward facing limbs. Their top of the line crossbow for half price.

For some time I have wanted a bow for survival hunting. I have no illusions about shooting sentries with a bow, but I have a number of reasons to want one for survival hunting:

1) The obvious one - quiet - at a distance anyway. Neighbors would not know it was used, much less a mile or so away, unlike guns.

2) Limited range. This is actually an advantage when your neighbor is a couple hundred yards away. With a bow I could shoot in almost any direction and know that the arrow won't go off my property as long as I am shooting relatively flat.

I don't hunt anymore due to health problems and I don't care for deer meat. But in a SHTF situation, meat is meat, and I see deer all the time that I could hit by throwing a rock at them (assuming I didn't mind the pain in my shoulder). I also have bear crossing my property certain times of the year, not to mention the rabbits. All of those would be meat. Meat is life.

aYeDwLO_700b_v1.jpg

Also, a person could bow fish.

I bought my daughter a compound bow for target practice, but even with the 40# I can't pull it without pain. A hunting compound bow? Not going to work for me. I injured my shoulder several times and I have to have MT and chiro twice a month just to deal with the pain. So a crossbow is what I need if I am going to do any survival archery.

This crossbow is heavy at almost 10#, but I am not going to be stalking with it. I would be sitting waiting for the deer to come to me. It has very good reviews and is said to be built like a tank.

Been wanting a crossbow for a while, but I wanted one that was good quality, so when Midway emailed me on this deal I looked, researched and bought.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top