JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This topic has been discussed in the distant past and I'm bringing it up again to bring the subject up to date. Been looking at crossbows as stealth weapons and deer-hunting as needed. There are a lot of expensive alternatives out there, mostly some variation on the "compound bow". Being Old School I was looking maybe for a simple, not compound, crossbow. Any thoughts, ideas? Thanks, Dun

I would certainly consider a recurve crossbow as a very valid choice for general use and STHF scenarios. Moreso for the later.

I have an excaliber micro mag 340 that I really like. About what you might spend on a decent firearm and packs quite a nice punch. YMMV

Archery laws vary wildly regarding crossbows and hunting.
Be sure to check your state game laws for sure.
I have no doubt crossbows work well for hunting and such....
That said I have never hunted with one...just played around with a few.

As far as a "non-compound" crossbow....
Kult of Athena usually carries some historically correct ones....looks like they are out of stock at the moment.
www.kultofathena.com
Deepeeka , of India makes the crossbows for them...maybe someone else has 'em in stock.

If you just want a good solid bow ( not crossbow )
Check out :
www.grayvn.com
Hickory bows , longbows , "flat bows" , and the like....good working bows at a excellent price.
Andy

Archery laws vary wildly regarding crossbows and hunting.
Be sure to check your state game laws for sure.
I have no doubt crossbows work well for hunting and such....
That said I have never hunted with one...just played around with a few.

As far as a "non-compound" crossbow....
Kult of Athena usually carries some historically correct ones....looks like they are out of stock at the moment.
www.kultofathena.com
Deepeeka , of India makes the crossbows for them...maybe someone else has 'em in stock.

If you just want a good solid bow ( not crossbow )
Check out :
www.grayvn.com
Hickory bows , longbows , "flat bows" , and the like....good working bows at a excellent price.
Andy
I'm glad you listed gravn. There was a guy up in Washington somewhere that I was going to order some long bows from, but he disappeared.

My wife got me a "little" pistol sized crossbow with aluminum bolts. Super cheap off Amazon. It kinda looks like a toy, but it would certainly kill some small game. Went right through basic targets I setup and kept going another 50 yards easy. While not a primary weapon, I have no doubt about its killing power. Likely more effective than 22 in shorter ranges. Cost was less than $50 and bolts are super cheap. They're branded a million different ways and have slight variations, but I'm sure they're all made in China.

697622_ts.jpg

If you do get a cross bow, try and get one that can take a full sized arrows.
Mine ( modern Compound) shoots well over 460 FPS with a 500ish grain arrow, so fletching is going to be more critical.
For a more traditional Single limb cross bow, your standard fletching should do fine, and you can always tune if needed
They are pretty dang easy to make your self, find the materials you want and have at it, they can be as simple or complex as you wish, and you would be really surprised at how powerful they can be! I don't know of any "Kits" out there on the market, but you should be able to find something in budget!

That's all fine and I do like a longbow, but- I have great difficulty drawing my 40# recurve anymore, let alone my 50#....

The longer the limbs are on a traditional single string bow...the easier it is to pull.
That said...I understand what you are saying here , with what I quoted.

If you get a hunting weight crossbow.*..a lever or crank to pull the string back may be helpful here.....
Andy
*Single string historic type of crossbow...not a compound.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top