JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have any recommendations for moving companies. Looking at moving back to Ohio here in the next couple months.we have a 3 bedroom house and garage to move. Hopefully will be thinning a lot out before then. I'd like to get a reputable company as I'll have a lot of guns and ammo onboard.

I hired Mayflower. They will move your guns, but not your ammo, and at this point it's probably going to be 3-4 months before they can move you.

It's damn expensive, too, but when I started looking for a moving company, Mayflower was pretty much the only company that didn't answer the phone with either a bot or a bimbo.

Last Edited:
I just completed a move from western Oregon to SW Idaho, about 500 miles.

I used PODS and have had a very positive experience with them. Never used them before and have no affiliation with them, other than being a current customer.

They bring the PODS container(S) to you (on the street or in your driveway) and you load them, they store and haul them and deliver them to your new address for you to unload.

The coatainers have what I think are fiberglass walls, which let's in a lot of light) with a metal roll up door, a sliding bar lock that accepts 2 pad locks.

I was a little dubious about the security of the container since my (thankfully now forme) inner southeast Potland neighborhood has its own infestation of feral drug addicts who I thought would be drawn to the PODS, but no one touched it. I did back my pick up as close as I could to the PODS door at night

I moved all of my "valuables" by my own means.

I was prepared to spend my nights on the front porch with a.......a..... ..... a whistle and cell phone, knowing that any would be thieves would be panic stricken by such a shrieking and that a response by Potland Police would be only seconds away and the perpetrators would feel the full weight of Multnomah County justice. 🤣

But it wasn't necessary.

You can make adjustments to delivery and pickup dates, if their schedule allows, you might not get the exact day you want. Now is the start of their busy season.

I found their staff, in person or on the phone, to be professional, polite, and provided excellent customer service.

I strongly recommend that someone with keys to the PODS be present when the container is delivered to the new house. The contents may/will shift and can prevent the door from rolling up fully. The drivers are experienced in addressing this but are reluctant to handle your items. But they have a range of "tricks" to get things cleared so the door fully opens and you can unload.

The 2 PODS I had delivered each needed some assistance from the driver and myself to get the doors unblocked.

The cost for 2 16 foot containers for this move, including a 30 day rental/storage for both was $5600. 4k of that was transporting the 2 containers (thank you, Brandon).

Am happy to answer any questions you may have about my PODS experience.

I just completed a move from western Oregon to SW Idaho, about 500 miles.

I used PODS and have had a very positive experience with them. Never used them before and have no affiliation with them, other than being a current customer.

They bring the PODS container(S) to you (on the street or in your driveway) and you load them, they store and haul them and deliver them to your new address for you to unload.

The coatainers have what I think are fiberglass walls, which let's in a lot of light) with a metal roll up door, a sliding bar lock that accepts 2 pad locks.

I was a little dubious about the security of the container since my (thankfully now forme) inner southeast Potland neighborhood has its own infestation of feral drug addicts who I thought would be drawn to the PODS, but no one touched it. I did back my pick up as close as I could to the PODS door at night

I moved all of my "valuables" by my own means.

I was prepared to spend my nights on the front porch with a.......a..... ..... a whistle and cell phone, knowing that any would be thieves would be panic stricken by such a shrieking and that a response by Potland Police would be only seconds away and the perpetrators would feel the full weight of Multnomah County justice. 🤣

But it wasn't necessary.

You can make adjustments to delivery and pickup dates, if their schedule allows, you might not get the exact day you want. Now is the start of their busy season.

I found their staff, in person or on the phone, to be professional, polite, and provided excellent customer service.

I strongly recommend that someone with keys to the PODS be present when the container is delivered to the new house. The contents may/will shift and can prevent the door from rolling up fully. The drivers are experienced in addressing this but are reluctant to handle your items. But they have a range of "tricks" to get things cleared so the door fully opens and you can unload.

The 2 PODS I had delivered each needed some assistance from the driver and myself to get the doors unblocked.

The cost for 2 16 foot containers for this move, including a 30 day rental/storage for both was $5600. 4k of that was transporting the 2 containers (thank you, Brandon).

Am happy to answer any questions you may have about my PODS experience.

Any stipulations on guns and ammo in the container?

I frequent a couple other VERY large forums and the question of how to move guns comes up once or twice a month. So far...over the last 7-8 years...the best answer always ends up being, move them yourself. Many moving companies will not knowingly move guns and/or ammo. And there's a ton of risk with any company that will.

Load them up in the car/truck, find a buddy to share the driving, and "straight-shot" it to Ohio, stopping as little as possible. Remember that hotels/motels are magnets for thieves. If you have to stop, best to find a motel where you can back up to your hotel room and bring the stuff inside.

If you do end up shipping them, make absolutely sure you have enough insurance to cover things if they go missing.

Good luck...and may the odds be ever in your favor.

Helping a friend move and he's got alot of powder/primers, if I had to take a guess he got like 100lbs of powder and maybe 20k primers. Will this be a problem driving across state lines(nevada)?

Helping a friend move and he's got alot of powder/primers, if I had to take a guess he got like 100lbs of powder and maybe 20k primers. Will this be a problem driving across state lines(nevada)?
There are national hazmat regulations for transporting over a certain weight of gunpowder in a vehicle. I'm not sure what they are.

Any stipulations on guns and ammo in the container?
I don't recall as I moved any very personal items myself.

However I would not be surprised if they didn't want those items in their facility. Another thought is, are the PODS stored inside or outside? I saw zero sign of water intrusion and I know it rain heavily at least 2x after the pod was picked up. So if they were outsthe ones I had didn't leak.

One advantage to the PODS system is that by loading it yourself no one else knows what's in there. That could also come back to bite a person, I suppose.

We made the move from Portland to Cincinnati in April and used pods for everything except my ammo. I loaded up 16 cans in the back of the 4Runner and drove cross country. 2 of the 16 foot PODS cost $11K after my 10% Veterans discount. Miss my family in Oregon but glad we escaped the left coast tyrannical rule!

I hired Mayflower. They will move your guns, but not your ammo, and at this point it's probably going to be 3-4 months before they can move you.

It's damn expensive, too, but when I started looking for a moving company, Mayflower was pretty much the only company that didn't answer the phone with either a bot or a bimbo.
I guess I should update this. The one thing Mayflower did right was move my guns. We did a full inventory packing them up and receiving them. All showed up intact, no worries.

Just about everything else they did was an absolute bubblegum show. They were supposed to spend four days packing and loading. Different crew each day, and none of them gave a damn about what they were doing except for the driver. The third day they completely blew me off and didn't send a crew, so the fourth day after I threw a fit they loaded me up with day workers who were in a hurry so they just grabbed things and stuffed them in boxes with any care or give a damn at all.

The crew in Kentucky was great, other than the fact that they brought a truck without a lift gate, and I own some pretty heavy stuff. But whatever by that point the damage was done. Lots of broken stuff, lots of boxes full of crap that was supposed be thrown in the dumpster, etc. But the people who got screwed the worse were the second folks on the route. We got a lot of stuff that wasn't even ours. I called them up to straighten it out, and they told me never mind, keep it, we''l just write them a check for whatever their claim is.

I don't think Mayflower was a wise choice. Would not recommend them to anyone. But the guns, they did that right.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top