JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I seat and crimp in one step (taper for SA, roll for revolver) and I've never had any issues -- made some reasonably accurate ammo as well. That said, the reason I do the combined steps is that still, after 25 years, I load on a single stage press I don't want to add another die change to the process. I'd probably split it up if I had a turret or progressive.

I never tried the Lee FCD on pistol loads but I did try it on some rifle loads. After spending a lot of time processing some pretty expensive rifle brass (trimming, case neck turning, chamfering, tempering), I was sort of disgusted with what it did to the case mouth -- the brass at the mouth was crushed inward in four quadrants leaving a brass ridge between each quadrant. I didn't get any better velocity or accuracy. Now it collects dust. Maybe the pistol versions are different.

the brass at the mouth was crushed inward in four quadrants leaving a brass ridge between each quadrant.

Wow! You must have leaned on the handle pretty hard to leave a ridge between the collets. I've never had that happen. I can adjust my FCD up oror do on the press to get the exact crimp I want.

I will have to look at the pack i load3d them in i used 115 grain round nosed FMJ bullets from Kessilrings and I think Power Pistol powder' 2nd charge from the starting point.

I haven't loaded any of the new Berry bullets from Sportsman's Warehouse yet.

The bullet shouldn't really matter unless we're talking plated vs jacketed, then velocity is the concern. Plated should be running powder loads more like lead bullets get.
Bullets from Kesserling's? This place? :eek:
Skagit County gun shop may have been worst in U.S.

Wow! You must have leaned on the handle pretty hard to leave a ridge between the collets. I've never had that happen. I can adjust my FCD up oror do on the press to get the exact crimp I want.

Could be so, but if there is little to no difference in the crimp between what I get normally without the FCD, adding the FCD just makes more work form me on a single stage press. Like I said though, I was using it on rifle rounds (bottleneck type) and so that experience may not be applicable to pistols. Lots of people love the FCD and that's totally valid. I'm just saying I didn't like it the time I tried it for the specific round I tried it for and you are correct, I could have used it a bit aggressively.

I settled on a crimp that looked like the one to the left here for testing, didn't see better results, didn't like the case mouth damage: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2F-4YnLRJSI/T6bDHl4gl5I/AAAAAAAAGqQ/Pxpm7pUEgbw/s320/IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg

Could be so, but if there is little to no difference in the crimp between what I get normally without the FCD, adding the FCD just makes more work form me on a single stage press. Like I said though, I was using it on rifle rounds (bottleneck type) and so that experience may not be applicable to pistols. Lots of people love the FCD and that's totally valid. I'm just saying I didn't like it the time I tried it for the specific round I tried it for and you are correct, I could have used it a bit aggressively.

I settled on a crimp that looked like the one to the left here for testing, didn't see better results, didn't like the case mouth damage: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-2F-4YnLRJSI/T6bDHl4gl5I/AAAAAAAAGqQ/Pxpm7pUEgbw/s320/IMG_3547.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg

Yep.That does look like a pretty strong crimp. I've been using my FCD for 223/5.56 and after I prep the brass mouth, it can leave a minor rough edge. I like to make sure I use the FCD to taper it a bit to assure some form of concentricity or any bumps/swells in the neck after I seat the bullet to make it feed into the chamber better.

I load for a bolt action mostly, but I also load for a semi-auto 223 as well. It's nice for me to "finish off" each round with a touch of taper (at least it makes me feel better). That said, I am using a Lee Classic Turret Press and after all my dies "do their business" I have a completed round. If a person uses a single-stage, you are totally correct that it is a completely separate step.

Also, I hope my comment does not sound disparaging of your reloading process. It's nice to share experiences between Reloaders to help me understand how you got to where you are. There are many of you that have a ton more experience with the hobby than I do. :)

... I've been using my FCD for 223/5.56 and after I prep the brass mouth, it can leave a minor rough edge. ... I load for a bolt action mostly, but I also load for a semi-auto 223 as well. ...
Also, I hope my comment does not sound disparaging of your reloading process. ....

If I was seriously loading for a semi-auto, I would consider the FCD more closely -- the 30th round in a magazine has a lot of opportunity to get knocked around but the vast majority of what I shoot is one at a time at the range. Anyway, don't worry, I didn't take your comments as disparaging.

That one on the left doesn't look so good. I'd pass on crimping like that.
On the semi auro pistols sometimes the projectile will give you a rough time feeding into the chamber.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top