JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All i need is reliability to feed for my grandson to plink with nothing else. The ammo I leave in the gun at home or when I carry it is factory Hornady Critical Defence.
As long as the reloaded ammo cycles I will be happy. If I find the crimp die localy I will find out this weekend.
If they don't have it in Everett I will call Skagit Arms and Kessilrings and see if they hane one.while in Everett later today I might call Pinto's in Renton.
don't know if you have a sportsmans warehouse around but I always see multiple Lee FCD on the shelf there

All i need is reliability to feed for my grandson to plink with nothing else. The ammo I leave in the gun at home or when I carry it is factory Hornady Critical Defence.
As long as the reloaded ammo cycles I will be happy. If I find the crimp die localy I will find out this weekend.
If they don't have it in Everett I will call Skagit Arms and Kessilrings and see if they hane one.while in Everett later today I might call Pinto's in Renton.
If you have trouble finding them Amazon always has them.

The problem i have is the ammo will not feed in my glock 17.

I can guarantee that seating and crimping in one step verses two is not the only way to solve reliability issues with feeding.

Follow the method for adjusting your seating and crimping die. For Lee dies it is relatively easy.

Crimp until the mouth of the case measures .001" - .002" smaller than the case at the base of the bullet. You can also do this visually. I look for the case to just kiss the ogive of the bullet.

A few folks in this thread give you actual measurements for the case mouth crimp on 9mm

How do i tell if i under/over crimp a 9mm reload? - Page 1 - AR15.COM

I'm trying to save you time and money, extra reloading steps are frustrating if you like to shoot a lot. If you've got nothing but time on your hands, go for the extra step.

In my experience, one-step (with properly adjusted die), or two-step doesn't make a lot of difference. I just prefer two-step because the die adjustment is easier on my brain. And it's the way Dillon 550 does it... ;):)

Also, adjustment of the crimp IMO is unlikely to solve feeding problems. If you have a one-step die, what you would be doing with more crimp is actually seating the bullet deeper. You will find that with certain bullets, Glocks need this. It's weird because one bullet that is seated perfectly according to OAL specs can feed fine, but then a bullet from a different manufacturer that is also seated to specs will not feed. It has to do with bullet shape.

I use a case gauge to check each and every single round I load against factory specs... usually that is enough, but with some bullets it's not. The best way to check rounds for a Glock is by removing the barrel and doing a "plunk" test to see if they are seating in the chamber correctly... if not, try seating the bullet deeper (shorten OAL).

Seems like there's a second opinion for doing the plunk test.

I also have a handgun that doesn't like short ogive bullets. Never owned a Glock for more than 50-100 rounds so I wouldn't know how finicky they are about seating long.

I have it on good authority tho that Glocks are perfect. So seating at book max OAL and having feeding issues doesn't compute.

I disagree whole heartedly.

Beyond the crimp you get, the FCD also uniformly sizes the brass and removes any and all bulges or irregularities from the case that may have happened when you shoved that bullet into the mouth.

It uniformly sizes not just puts crimp and that my friend is important.

Have you ever owned and used one?
Yes, had to try one once just to see for my self. "removes any and all bulges or irregularities from the case that may have happened when you shoved that bullet into the mouth" The only "bulges" I ever get might be from the brass expansion to accommodate the bullet, that is a good thing, good neck tension. To swage this down is not a good thing, loss of neck tension, really bad with oversized lead bullets.

I disagree whole heartedly.

Beyond the crimp you get, the FCD also uniformly sizes the brass and removes any and all bulges or irregularities from the case that may have happened when you shoved that bullet into the mouth.

It uniformly sizes not just puts crimp and that my friend is important.

Have you ever owned and used one?

That it does. used one of mine one time on some factory stuff. Can't remember what brand it was now. Buddy had bought several boxes of it and feeding was spotty on a few pistols. Checked a few with a Mic and there was a slight difference at the mouth. Ran them through my FCD and you could see the slight burnishment where the carbide had hit the wider spot. Back to the range we went and now they fed perfect.
I was kind of surprised to see how much "hate" there was for these dies. That I had not seen in decades. I guess many just get so invested in how they have been doing things that they get butthurt when told there is a better way <shrug>
I well remember when I bought my first Lee set up. I had seen a family member roll their own. Used steel dies, so had to lube each case. Used a scale to measure each charge. I watched and thought "no way, I have better things to do with my time. Used to save my brass and take it to a shop that would roll it back into ammo for me cheaper of course than factory. I bought a 5 shot light weight .44 to use for carry. At that time (mid 70's) there was only one load to be found in .44 sp. That round nose lead 240. So I bought a Lee kit with carbide dies. Was told it was junk, would never work, blah blah. Rolled a few, worked. So bought a set of .45 dies. Using the scoop it was worth rolling my own now. Later bought a measure. Some who kept telling me how this stuff was junk finally could not take it any more after seeing how well my ammo worked and bought Lee Carbide dies. At that time a Lee Carbide set was about 1/2 what the others charged for a steel set. Watching this thread looks like the hate has lived on all these decades later. Now aimed at the FCD Hey why not, to each his own. When they started letting us mail order ammo again I no longer rolled my own defensive ammo. Only rolled to save money on play time ammo. Have always preferred the fast and easy method. :D

On that subject about product bashing, years ago one of my friends had a older brother who got into shooting clay pigeons when he was in high school about fifty years ago.
He delivered newspapers, mowed yards and anything else to make a dollar. Once he got some money together his father took him to a pawn shop and let him pick out a shotgun. The only thinghe had enough for was an old neat up JC Higgins 12 gauge pump that was really, really used.
He bought it and got good at hitting clay birds with it. When he got to be a decent shot he went and got in club to compete.
He kicled these oldtimers butt with that old shotgun. These old guy had the best of the best when it came to guns. But he was better then them at their own game.they tried to buy it from him, tried to trade other guns for it, a couple of the guys tried to get him kicked out of the club. All because he was better then them and their high end shotguns with his $15 maybe $20 JC Higgins 12 gauge pawn shop pump shotgun.

I see about the same mentality on this subject. All it boils down to for me is to make the reloaded 9mm ammo to be able to cycle in my Glock 17 for my grandson to plink with.

I have the Lee crimp die coming in the mail from ebay so I will see by this weekend maybe.

My rule of thumb...if its going into a semio-auto it gets crimped...whether its a rifle or a pistol. 556 rounds are trimmed or should be for consistency of seating and get a taper crimp. Any hi-power rifle used in an auto platform the same. Taper crimp/ trimmed for consitency.
In my handgun cartridges, 9mm, 45 ACP or any other it gets a taper crimp. If the brass is trimmed and the bullets used have crimpiing grove, roll crimp...for plinkers not trimmbed taper crimp and inspected to keep the bullet from moving when shot into battery after from recoil and slammed into battery as well. Target rounds are trimmed (for consitency) and get a taper crimp or crimping groove depending on the bullet design if t has a crimping groove or not.
Revolver bullets - rounds more often than not have a crimping groove. 38/357 & 44 special/44 mag the more common need a good roll crimp into a crimping groove. Most of your "revolver" need a good crimp for recoil for the load. Do not over crimp as this can create a bulge in the case and cause issues in loading.
If you do not crimp, (2) things can and will happen. 1) Bullet pushes or slides into casing and causes an overpressure issue 2) it will cause a loading issue especially with auto loaders but can with revolvers.

On that subject about product bashing, years ago one of my friends had a older brother who got into shooting clay pigeons when he was in high school about fifty years ago.
He delivered newspapers, mowed yards and anything else to make a dollar. Once he got some money together his father took him to a pawn shop and let him pick out a shotgun. The only thinghe had enough for was an old neat up JC Higgins 12 gauge pump that was really, really used.
He bought it and got good at hitting clay birds with it. When he got to be a decent shot he went and got in club to compete.
He kicled these oldtimers butt with that old shotgun. These old guy had the best of the best when it came to guns. But he was better then them at their own game.they tried to buy it from him, tried to trade other guns for it, a couple of the guys tried to get him kicked out of the club. All because he was better then them and their high end shotguns with his $15 maybe $20 JC Higgins 12 gauge pawn shop pump shotgun.

I see about the same mentality on this subject. All it boils down to for me is to make the reloaded 9mm ammo to be able to cycle in my Glock 17 for my grandson to plink with.

I have the Lee crimp die coming in the mail from ebay so I will see by this weekend maybe.

Before Algore invented the net, and even long after, many had no idea that those "store brand" guns were normally made by one of the big gun makers. Then just stamped with the store brand. For a long time after these stores went away and or stopped selling guns there was smokin deals to be found on these. Many ended up in used gun places and many looked down on them due to not knowing they were made by a major manufacturer. Many got a great gun at a great price that way. Sounds like the kid who worked so hard to buy that shotgun just had a lot of natural talent too. Shooting is like any "skill". Anyone can hone that skill but some are just VERY damn good from early on. This often will make other shooters very angry. Many who can afford it will buy very high end guns but, having the best tool made does not make up for lack of skill . :D:D

Last Edited:
Yes, had to try one once just to see for my self. "removes any and all bulges or irregularities from the case that may have happened when you shoved that bullet into the mouth" The only "bulges" I ever get might be from the brass expansion to accommodate the bullet, that is a good thing, good neck tension. To swage this down is not a good thing, loss of neck tension, really bad with oversized lead bullets.

Talking 9mm aren't we? 9mm, 9 Parabelum, is tapered brass. The 9mm resizing die isn't tapered. It's just a thin ring of that polished carbide stuff that does the resizing....notice how sizing 9mm takes more oomph to size than true straight wall cases? .38/.357, .40, .45 colt/acp etc. A lot of 9mm rounds reloaded by me have a slight bulge from the bullet....maybe to do with brass wall thickness? The only issues I've had with chambering is some guns have the lands closer to the chamber. And some bullets profiles will have them hitting the lands. I adjust OAL to accommodate that using the "Plunk Test".

I din't hear any hate. Where's hate? WTH?

Thank you, really looking forward to your range report. Please let us know.

It's no fun when things go awry when trying to have fun with kids or grandkids.

The 9mm crimp die hasn't showed up yet si I will let him shoot what i loaded up in my 9mm SP101.
I have the Lyman ammo checker. They fit in it but do not cycle, i was thinking the other night. Maybe he was limp wristing the Glock. I have some factory ammo I will take tomorrow and let him try new ammo.
It's all good.

The 9mm crimp die hasn't showed up yet si I will let him shoot what i loaded up in my 9mm SP101.
I have the Lyman ammo checker. They fit in it but do not cycle, i was thinking the other night. Maybe he was limp wristing the Glock. I have some factory ammo I will take tomorrow and let him try new ammo.
It's all good.

What load are you using in the glock?

I loaded up some 115 grain FMJ round nose. I have a Lyman pistol ammo checker and they all slipped right in, but I was having a feeding issue in my Glock 17. I bought it new from Buds Guns a couple of years ago and only shot a ver small.amout of new factory amm threw it. Now my grandson can shoot it i'll be loading for it.

The Lee Factory Crimp Die came in today so I will run the ammo I hsve left that I reloaded threw it snd give it another try this weekend.

I stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse last friday and bought some 124 grain 9mm Berry bullets to try out. A 250 pack.

I stopped by Sportsmans Warehouse last friday and bought some 124 grain 9mm Berry bullets to try out. A 250 pack.

Don't know if it will make a difference or not, I've been using the 147 grain Berry's for a few years now in my XDm and I've had no issues. I'm using the 147's mainly because I shoot with a can on my gun so I like the rounds to be subsonic. Makes it much more enjoyable with the can.

I'm just starting to load for 9mm now my grandson can shoot it. The places I buy reloading stuff doesn't have much of a selection of projectiles in larger packages.
I'll see how it goes this weekend and go from there.

I'm just starting to load for 9mm now my grandson can shoot it. The places I buy reloading stuff doesn't have much of a selection of projectiles in larger packages.
I'll see how it goes this weekend and go from there.

Is there reason you don't want to share your load with the group?

I will have to look at the pack i load3d them in i used 115 grain round nosed FMJ bullets from Kessilrings and I think Power Pistol powder' 2nd charge from the starting point.

I haven't loaded any of the new Berry bullets from Sportsman's Warehouse yet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top