JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I live in a very populated area. Clackamas County, not too far from Clackamas Town Center. We had an outside cat, very peaceful soul. The neighbor lady, a retired school teacher, saw the coyote snatch the cat up, shake it hard, and trot off down down the road clutching the cat. My road dead ends in a field. When I walk the dog she goes nuts smelling the coyotes there. Would I shoot a coyote, HELL YES. I'd like to say that I only would kill what I would eat, but the coyote is an exception. They are not one of the endangered ones.
Sorry about your cat it saddens me to see our campnions lost in such a way. Part of our evening activities is ensuring our cats our inside around dark. Our maine coon cooperates most nights. I think I will pick up a predator call and set out with a 12 Guage tomorrow night after dark. Between the heavy rain and the coyotes about 4:30AM last night was a long or short night depending on your perspective.

In most of north america (Mexico to Canada) the coyotes come into heat, pair up & breed in February. The pups are born about 2 months later. One difference between dogs & coyotes is that a dog comes into heat twice a year and the coyote is in heat but once a year.

If they were that bad, landowners wouldnt charge $500 a head to hunt them.

Think of it this way, hunting isn't going to eradicate the feral pigs, they breed like rats, so hunting may only control them depending on how heavily they are hunted and killed, by charging hunters to hunt on his property he is at least recouping some of his losses. Trapping them is a much more effective method of control. I think this "farmer" is just lazy! :rolleyes:
Coyotes also regulate the size of their litters when the rabbit population is scarce they will produce small litters or even none at all depending on how well they do at hunting.
Gabby

Last Edited:
Think of it this way, hunting isn't going to eradicate the feral pigs, they breed like rats, so hunting may only control them depending on how heavily they are hunted and killed, by charging hunters to hunt on his property he is at least recouping some of his losses. Trapping them is a much more effective method of control. I think this "farmer" is just lazy! :rolleyes:
Coyotes also regulate the size of their litters when the rabbit population is scarce they will produce small litters or even none at all depending on how well they do at hunting.
Gabby

That makes sense. I just want cheaper hunting! :s0023:

Gabby
Those traps are expensive and I've watched a few vids on it. They dont seem to catch as many pigs in the time it takes to shoot them. They still have to have a guy monitoring the trap.

Gestation period on coyotes is about 60 days. They have 6-8 pups on average per litter. Around here they have pups in the spring and fall. There is allot to eat so litter size is a little bigger! We have a huge problem around here and we have lost all of our indoor outdoor cats. The coyotes are pretty brave, raid all the local chicken coupes, garbage cans, etc.

Those traps are expensive and I've watched a few vids on it. They dont seem to catch as many pigs in the time it takes to shoot them. They still have to have a guy monitoring the trap.

Not near as expensive as the damage to crops that they cause! They use steel panels and lots of corn as bait. Then they let the pigs become complacent until they get the whole bunch feeding in there and slam the gate on them. There is no way hunting and shooting one at a time can compare with those results. When shooting them some always get away and pigs are smart and they learn from their mistakes!

We've certainly gotten away from the intent of this thread that was talking about Coyotes!
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads