JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When do coyotes start having thier young. Living out here in the country the coyotes are starting to be more aggressive and making thier selves known. Don't really want the young to starve to death by killing the parents but also don't want my four legged friends to be yote food.

Yeah around here ifin you kill a pregnant coyote it's called a 5 or 6 for 1;)
Coyotes breed almost like rabbits. But I'm pretty sure they only breed once a year. Y'all may be getting cubs now but it seems early for here. Too cold yet.
For what it's worth, the young won't starve
Before they freeze:rolleyes:
A dead yote is a good yote.

Fire away.

Coyotes and wild pigs are two species that are increasing at a phenomenal rate and are both less desirable animals to have around as they displace more desirable native animals and in the case of wild pigs they not only destroy native habitat but cause millions of dollars in agricultural damage, think of them as a 200-300lb rat. There should be no restrictions on the elimination of them.

Coyotes and wild pigs are two species that are increasing at a phenomenal rate and are both less desirable animals to have around as they displace more desirable native animals and in the case of wild pigs they not only destroy native habitat but cause millions of dollars in agricultural damage, think of them as a 200-300lb rat. There should be no restrictions on the elimination of them.

If they were that bad, landowners wouldnt charge $500 a head to hunt them.

If they were that bad, landowners wouldnt charge $500 a head to hunt them.
Yeah we don't have much pig problems in the northwest. Coyotes do mess with cows and other livestock but some farmers like them cause they take care of the mouse problems.
Most don't cause coyotes take the good with the bad.

Thanks
As I get older I have less desire to kill things especially if I can't do it humanely and letting animals starve to death bothers me greatly. Maybe I am finally beginning to feel my mortality. Getting soft I know.

I can understand that, and I don't take killing as a sport. I see it in two ways.
To feed my family and to protect my family.

Yotes will kill whatever they can to eat. Like most carnivores.
To protect you pets or other ability to hunt deer and other game. They need to be controlled.

If they are no threat to me or my animals then they live. If I need food for the family or they are becoming a hindrance to my animals or way of life then they must die. ;)

I totally get why ranchers and farmers hunt them. A chicken or other small live stock are easy prey for a yote.

Coyotes killed the wife's favorite chicken in the garden a couple years ago. I have seen less of them the last couple years, but I know there is a pack living down by the creek about 600 yards from our place. Open fields between us and them and used to see them a lot, but not so much anymore. I saw a couple splatted on the highway last year, so they are going into town at night and getting cats, hell of a lot easier than mousing a field all day. You see all the " missing cat" posters on the south side of town. :eek:

They are hard on pheasant nests in our area. Our pheasant population is completely gone due to coyotes and crows. With no real predators, coyotes can quickly get out of control. I smoked one just outside my neighbors chicken pen a couple years ago. I see them out in the fields air scenting towards our chicken coops, and if they get inside 150 yards they are probably going to pay the price. Same with the crows, they find a pheasant nest and peck holes in the eggs. I usually find a robbed nest or two on our property every year.

We usually see the pups out with the adults in 3rd week of March each year, and the adults get pretty aggressive about feeding them then too.

Coyotes killed the wife's favorite chicken in the garden a couple years ago. I have seen less of them the last couple years, but I know there is a pack living down by the creek about 600 yards from our place. Open fields between us and them and used to see them a lot, but not so much anymore. I saw a couple splatted on the highway last year, so they are going into town at night and getting cats, hell of a lot easier than mousing a field all day. You see all the " missing cat" posters on the south side of town. :eek:

They are hard on pheasant nests in our area. Our pheasant population is completely gone due to coyotes and crows. With no real predators, coyotes can quickly get out of control. I smoked one just outside my neighbors chicken pen a couple years ago. I see them out in the fields air scenting towards our chicken coops, and if they get inside 150 yards they are probably going to pay the price. Same with the crows, they find a pheasant nest and peck holes in the eggs. I usually find a robbed nest or two on our property every year.

We usually see the pups out with the adults in 3rd week of March each year, and the adults get pretty aggressive about feeding them then too.
I always want to put up a picture of a pile of coyote dung when I see missing pet flier,saying 'found your cat':confused:
Anyway
That brings up a guy in Sequim. He manages a big spread up there. Take care not to harm the fawns in the fields he mows.
Tries to kill as many yotes as come along.
Then he starts talking about releasing pheasantso_O
I asked what he thought that would do for his coyote problem :rolleyes:

We just lost 3 chickens in the last week, during the day. Not sure what it is but suspect raccoons. I went out looking with my rifle but didn't see anything. Got one sad chicken left. :(

Never seen a raccoon out during the day. I get them about twice a week on the trail cam in the middle of the night, one big sum botch about knee high, big old boar.

The coyote came up from our field to the garden to get the wife's favorite chicken. About 70 feet from the house. Tore it in half and then took it over to a wertland area where we found the read feathers and bones 2 years later. We have lost two to migratory red tail hawks, they usually leave a pretty good mess of feathers though.

I'd bet it was a bird if it came in daylight. We had 5 chicken coops all about 300 yards apart. The bald eagles,red tails,some smaller crow sized raptor would just cruise around ,waiting for some stray clucker to be in the open.
My one broody hen got 8' of lift on the little hawk to protect her chicks.
We were far enough from any open water that the coons didn't come thru but the yotes would come thru in daylight. Not often but I did see them.

When do coyotes start having thier young. Living out here in the country the coyotes are starting to be more aggressive and making thier selves known. Don't really want the young to starve to death by killing the parents but also don't want my four legged friends to be yote food.
I live in a very populated area. Clackamas County, not too far from Clackamas Town Center. We had an outside cat, very peaceful soul. The neighbor lady, a retired school teacher, saw the coyote snatch the cat up, shake it hard, and trot off down down the road clutching the cat. My road dead ends in a field. When I walk the dog she goes nuts smelling the coyotes there. Would I shoot a coyote, HELL YES. I'd like to say that I only would kill what I would eat, but the coyote is an exception. They are not one of the endangered ones.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top