JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So an attack is classified by someone being bit by a coyote. Want to compare that to the number of individuals bit by dogs on a yearly basis?

There are many nights when I am woken up by coyotes sounding like they are on the war path. I am no fan of coyotes but like any other situation you need to take steps to protect your fur kids. My cats are in by 9:00 PM and my dogs only go out together after dark. Coyotes are a part of our environment and I have no plans to start killing any unless they cause me problems.

Apples and oranges. Dogs are domesticated and a controllable part of our environment. We put down dogs for attacks. Coyotes are not tame or controllable. They take dogs and cats in daylight. Do a Google image search for "coyotes killing pets". Remember that the next time Midnight or Fluffy goes outside and doesn't come back.

Coyotes are not part of our environment. They've moved into it. People live in towns, cities, and neighborhoods. They step into an urban environment - they are a problem. Accommodation is not an option.

Apples and oranges. Dogs are domesticated and a controllable part of our environment. We put down dogs for attacks. Coyotes are not tame or controllable. They take dogs and cats in daylight. Do a Google image search for "coyotes killing pets". Remember that the next time Midnight or Fluffy goes outside and doesn't come back.

Coyotes are not part of our environment. They've moved into it. People live in towns, cities, and neighborhoods. They step into an urban environment - they are a problem. Accommodation is not an option.
I live in the country and they were here before I was. They are part of our environment.

I also do not see it as apples and oranges
There are more deaths from dogs every year regardless of how domesticated they are. I do not see coyotes as an issue.

There are more deaths from dogs every year regardless of how domesticated they are. I do not see coyotes as an issue.
I live in a town and coyotes were never part of our enviornment
I'm sure you don't - for now.

Then I cannot teach you symbolic logic.

Dogs are a part of our environment and culture. They are controllable. They go into our yards and kill our pets - they are put down. Coyotes are not controllable. So they must be eliminated when they cross into our world. Basta.

Dogs are a part of our environment and culture. They are controllable. They go into our yards and kill our pets - they are put down. Coyotes are not controllable. So they must be eliminated when they cross into our world. Basta.
Not all dogs are under control there are plenty of strays so.your fallacy is self evident
You are also assuming that a pet has a good owner and there are plenty of people that die from dog attacks every year a lot more than dir from.coyote attacks.

Not all dogs are under control there are plenty of strays so.your fallacy is self evident
You are also assuming that a pet has a good owner and there are plenty of people that die from dog attacks every year a lot more than dir from.coyote attacks.
Straw man argument - like dueling with an unarmed man. "Sigh".

Please pay attention: the thrust is not only about attacks on people but on pets as well. If you do not consider objectionable coyotes snatching pets as snacks, then we have no common ground for further discussion, because I do, and I am willing to exercise such measures as will keep coyotes away from my habitation.

Secondly, apples and oranges - wild predators and domesticated animals. If you cannot grasp this singular and substantive difference don't bother to continue reading because it will make your head hurt.

Thirdly, ownership is only one aspect of a cardinal principle: our ability to control dogs in society. This isn't India or Iraq. Animal control scoops up strays where I live. Feral dog packs I've known of have been hunted down and eliminated. Then there are good owners and bad owners versus no owners at all. All owners - good and bad - are still responsible for their pets. Good dog owner keeps his pet under control. Bad dog jumps the fence and kills pets/chickens - take your choice - they are put down, or summarily dispatched by the outraged pet/chicken owner. No one takes responsibility for coyote behavior - including the coyote and those willing to put up with it.

Actually, as I now reread your messages, you must be pulling my leg, because nobody but a liberal could be this obtuse. It was fun, but now it must end. Good night.

Straw man argument - like dueling with an unarmed man. "Sigh".

Please pay attention: the thrust is not only about attacks on people but on pets as well. If you do not consider objectionable coyotes snatching pets as snacks, then we have no common ground for further discussion, because I do, and I am willing to exercise such measures as will keep coyotes away from my habitation.

Secondly, apples and oranges - wild predators and domesticated animals. If you cannot grasp this singular and substantive difference don't bother to continue reading because it will make your head hurt.

Thirdly, ownership is only one aspect of a cardinal principle: our ability to control dogs in society. This isn't India or Iraq. Animal control scoops up strays where I live. Feral dog packs I've known of have been hunted down and eliminated. Then there are good owners and bad owners versus no owners at all. All owners - good and bad - are still responsible for their pets. Good dog owner keeps his pet under control. Bad dog jumps the fence and kills pets/chickens - take your choice - they are put down, or summarily dispatched by the outraged pet/chicken owner. No one takes responsibility for coyote behavior - including the coyote and those willing to put up with it.

Actually, as I now reread your messages, you must be pulling my leg, because nobody but a liberal could be this obtuse. It was fun, but now it must end. Good night.
If you choose to start labeling those that disagree with you let the action speak for itself.

The simple fact is that there are stray dogs the kill cats and have been known to maul individuals yet you choose to worry about coyotes that have had 159 victims with 2 deaths where dogs last year alone killed 39 individuals in the USA according to the CDC. Coyotes compared to domestic dogs pose a lot less issues.

any of you coyote enthusiasts care to answer a question for me?
Last night my cat was eaten by a coyote - I used to hear them a lot around here when I was a kid but thought they had been pushed out by suburban development lately. Anyway, when I heard her being attacked I ran outside and tried to find her. The coyote literally ran right in front of me, down my bubblegumjng driveway and disappeared into the bushes at the edge of our yard. It was nighttime and the only illumination was coming from the driveway lights, so I couldn't see if it was carrying anything in its mouth, but it looked like it wasn't.
My question is, will coyotes carry their prey back to their den, or will they eat it where they kill it? If they are interrupted during the process will they come back later for it? Im just wondering if I have any chance at all of finding my cats remains.
I've been searching for a body or evidence of a kill but can't find anything. (I'm also completely inexperienced when it comes to tracking or stalking, so don't really know what to look for). I waited in the bushes last night (after conducting an extensive search for my cat) for like 2 hrs just waiting to see if the yote would return for its prey, if it did indeed leave it behind. Of course I didn't see anything.
She was a special kitty that I rescued from the streets of Brooklyn as a kitten, and nursed to health and happiness. Sorry if this is a rambling post- I'm actually super upset by this right now, and didn't get any sleep last night. The sound of my cat being eaten alive has kind of traumatized me.

Hey man, sorry about the cat. Pets do a lot for us, and it's difficult when they check out. That said, cats get hit by cars all the time, but folks don't seek vengeance on cars do they? Maybe revenge isn't the answer.

Where I live, deep inner city close in PDX, Coyotes snatch cats up all the time. Daughter saw one trotting down the middle of the street not long back someones dead cat in it's mouth. She didn't recognize the cat or she would have touched base with the folks. But to the 2nd part of your question, they go where it's safe to nosh. In spring, they'll take them back to feed to the pups. As noted upthread, the only thing to do is keep the cats inside or nearby. There are a couple of real sweet cats nearby where I live here, and hate to even think of a coyote snatching one of them, but then, I think about our late cat who passed away from old age, wonderful cat we got off a friends farm when they had too many cats, and great family member for 19 years but a total bird killer. She lived to kill prey. Mice, rats, moles and most assuredly birds. Next door neighbor saw her pluck a swallow right out of the air once. It was terrible to see her getting old and could barely stand up. Wife wanted to put her down but I said NO, she'll live a natural life and we'll do our best. But it sucked to watch her age. Took a long time till she passed too and every day she was in pain.I'm glad we rode it out, but it was difficult.

Anyway, to add to the yote lore (yes they are very observant of humans) the patterns with coyotes is this: they work an area, most likely your yote is still there. You'll see they even create actual trails right through parks. They have patterns. After a time, they will start a new pattern and you'll think they are gone. They're still there, but not working the same areas. I suspect that's what works for them when they've decimated the prey over here then they move over there. A game camera would be good to give you a clue on when it's coming and going, the directions in particular. The ones that pad down the middle of our street with cats in their mouths are heading to the local park. The local park has 3 massive old black walnut trees. Right now the walnuts are dropping and the squirrels are feeding, but sadly the yotes find neighbor cats easier prey. So in my area, you'd never know where they go if you looked at the street camera, but the park a block away has a literal distinct trail leading through it caused by them padding through there twice a day, distinctly showing that they are popping over to the "environmental zone" and down the bluff where they must have a den. If you were my next door neighbor, it would be easy to find cat fur. There's a trail leading right to it caused buy the coyotes themselves. So look around and see whats what. Think about the spot you'd want to live if you were a coyote and mosey over and that way and look with a critical eye. There's most likely some tell right now at that spot.

I don't blame you if you feel that the yotes time has come and you can get it clean. But remember that there are a lot of birds that don't feel as you do and sometimes things are just the way they are for a reason. I'm not making any judgements, I'm sure your cat was the best cat ever, maybe right after our cat which was #1 cat ever. Peruse this link for a moment Cats kill more than one billion birds each year

America's cats, including housecats that adventure outdoors and feral cats, kill between 1.3 billion and 4.0 billion birds in a year, says Peter Marra of the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute in Washington, D.C., who led the team that performed the analysis.

Most folks are shocked that their cats kill so many birds. They're in denial that their cats predate. They strap little cameras on the cats and it's clear they do. It hurts to lose a loved one, and pets are certainly that. I wish you well as I know you'll never forget what a wonderful companion she was. So maybe hold onto the memories of your special cat, and let the yotes have their memories too?
If nothing else, I hope you get the closure you need.

Last Edited:
I need to add, not trying to tell you what to do, just a heads up that this woman looks like she could use a hand if you have room in your house and your heart: Oregon woman told to get rid of 80 cats

Sadly, the authorities will take them and kill them ("euthanize") if they don't get it all parsed out. Hope she can work it out, she needs a bunch of cat lovers to step up and help. That's a lot of cats.

Coyotes don't have natural predators in my area. They have taken several of our chickens in broad daylight, and if they would only take some of the neighbors inbred spastic cats that are rolling around. They routinely go to town or live in town, one of the city councilors catches them in his alley all the time.

There is one that has been mousing a field about 300 yards behind my house the last few mornings. Apparently having about 10 or so .223 rounds launched at him the last several mornings is not enough to discourage him from coming in. It annoys my LEO neighbor that I am getting all the shots in on the yote, and he has gotten none in. I am getting close to him, he runs off, but really, what a better way to start the day than with some .223 action before the first cup of coffee, standing on my porch in shorts and tee shirt.

If you choose to start labeling those that disagree with you let the action speak for itself.

The simple fact is that there are stray dogs the kill cats and have been known to maul individuals yet you choose to worry about coyotes that have had 159 victims with 2 deaths where dogs last year alone killed 39 individuals in the USA according to the CDC. Coyotes compared to domestic dogs pose a lot less issues.
If the pointy hat fits . . .
You can't read, can you? You haven't addressed a single point.
I'll let the other readers judge for themselves.
Hey man, sorry about the cat. Pets do a lot for us, and it's difficult when they check out. That said, cats get hit by cars all the time, but folks don't seek vengeance on cars do they? Maybe revenge isn't the answer.

Where I live, deep inner city close in PDX, Coyotes snatch cats up all the time. Daughter saw one trotting down the middle of the street not long back someones dead cat in it's mouth. She didn't recognize the cat or she would have touched base with the folks. But to the 2nd part of your question, they go where it's safe to nosh. In spring, they'll take them back to feed to the pups. As noted upthread, the only thing to do is keep the cats inside or nearby. There are a couple of real sweet cats nearby where I live here, and hate to even think of a coyote snatching one of them, but then, I think about our late cat who passed away from old age, wonderful cat we got off a friends farm when they had too many cats, and great family member for 19 years but a total bird killer. She lived to kill prey. Mice, rats, moles and most assuredly birds. Next door neighbor saw her pluck a swallow right out of the air once. It was terrible to see her getting old and could barely stand up. Wife wanted to put her down but I said NO, she'll live a natural life and we'll do our best. But it sucked to watch her age. Took a long time till she passed too and every day she was in pain.I'm glad we rode it out, but it was difficult.

Anyway, to add to the yote lore (yes they are very observant of humans) the patterns with coyotes is this: they work an area, most likely your yote is still there. You'll see they even create actual trails right through parks. They have patterns. After a time, they will start a new pattern and you'll think they are gone. They're still there, but not working the same areas. I suspect that's what works for them when they've decimated the prey over here then they move over there. A game camera would be good to give you a clue on when it's coming and going, the directions in particular. The ones that pad down the middle of our street with cats in their mouths are heading to the local park. The local park has 3 massive old black walnut trees. Right now the walnuts are dropping and the squirrels are feeding, but sadly the yotes find neighbor cats easier prey. So in my area, you'd never know where they go if you looked at the street camera, but the park a block away has a literal distinct trail leading through it caused by them padding through there twice a day, distinctly showing that they are popping over to the "environmental zone" and down the bluff where they must have a den. If you were my next door neighbor, it would be easy to find cat fur. There's a trail leading right to it caused buy the coyotes themselves. So look around and see whats what. Think about the spot you'd want to live if you were a coyote and mosey over and that way and look with a critical eye. There's most likely some tell right now at that spot.

I don't blame you if you feel that the yotes time has come and you can get it clean. But remember that there are a lot of birds that don't feel as you do and sometimes things are just the way they are for a reason. I'm not making any judgements, I'm sure your cat was the best cat ever, maybe right after our cat which was #1 cat ever. Peruse this link for a moment Cats kill more than one billion birds each year

Most folks are shocked that their cats kill so many birds. They're in denial that their cats predate. They strap little cameras on the cats and it's clear they do. It hurts to lose a loved one, and pets are certainly that. I wish you well as I know you'll never forget what a wonderful companion she was. So maybe hold onto the memories of your special cat, and let the yotes have their memories too?
If nothing else, I hope you get the closure you need.
Yotes don't need memories. They need to stay away. Or become memories.

I need to add, not trying to tell you what to do, just a heads up that this woman looks like she could use a hand if you have room in your house and your heart: Oregon woman told to get rid of 80 cats

Sadly, the authorities will take them and kill them ("euthanize") if they don't get it all ree. parsed out. Hope she can work it out, she needs a bunch of cat lovers to step up and help. That's a lot of cats.
I agree. There are good intentioned people who need help. Unfortunately if cats aren't fixed they reproduce at an astronomical rate. TNR (trap, neuter, release) is the best way to keep the feral cat population down. I've done this in several places and it benefits everyone - especially the cats. Fixed cats aren't on a hormonal jag, diseased, fighting, and decimating the bird population. I'm afraid the 80+ cats are going to be victims of misguided kindness.

Coyotes don't have natural predators in my area. They have taken several of our chickens in broad daylight, and if they would only take some of the neighbors inbred spastic cats that are rolling around. They routinely go to town or live in town, one of the city councilors catches them in his alley all the time.

There is one that has been mousing a field about 300 yards behind my house the last few mornings. Apparently having about 10 or so .223 rounds launched at him the last several mornings is not enough to discourage him from coming in. It annoys my LEO neighbor that I am getting all the shots in on the yote, and he has gotten none in. I am getting close to him, he runs off, but really, what a better way to start the day than with some .223 action before the first cup of coffee, standing on my porch in shorts and tee shirt.
A perfect morning.

Truly sorry to hear your story. I lost a good cat to coyotes about 2 years ago. Right in the front yard. SOB hauled her off at lightning speed. I live in a Milwaukie residential neighborhood near LaSalle High School. 'Bout a quarter mile away is a small park, Fernberg Park. To the north of the park is a very large overgrown field that used to be a truck farm. The coyotes live there. Just last week on the neighborhood watch thing for our area were multiple stories about a lady walking her dogs in the park, middle of the day. Coyotes came out from cover and it was apparently touch and go for awhile. I'v spent years in the woods and always hear them, but oddly enough I've never heard the pack that lives in that field. I speculate that the distances between them is not great enough that they have to yelp/howl to keep track of each other.
There was only two brothers last I checked. I lived off Fernburg for a while. Never had any issue with those yotes, and they never howled, tho all my cats stayed indoors at all times. Seemed they always ate rodents, and a lot of berries when those were available. Used to find their scat around the shortcut on the farm you mentioned. ;)

PS: watched 5 coyotes running down the street early in the morning in Portland, not too far from Mt.Tabor... there are a lot in Portland, but nothing like in the country where their numbers are in the dozens!

Last Edited:
They were making all kinds of racket last night at my place. Off and on for almost 3 hours. I'm on 5 acres in a pretty rural setting. Wife won't let the cat outside and I don't currently have any livestock. When I first moved here I used to occasionally see them during the day but they were summarily escorted from the premises by my security staff.View attachment 503675

My neighbor has sheep, goats, cows, chickens, and peahens but says he hasn't lost any in a long time because he keeps them secured. It's not uncommon to hear small and medium caliber rifle fire out here after dusk and before dawn.
Yotes live out here and always have. If they aren't causing me problems, I'll let them be. They probably help keep the rodent and feral cat populations in check. However, if I lived in town and was seeing them...another story.

If the pointy hat fits . . .
You can't read, can you? You haven't addressed a single point.
I'll let the other readers judge for themselves.

Yotes don't need memories. They need to stay away. Or become memories.
I haven't recognized a single question or point that you have made maybe because you haven't made a relevant one yet. Your welcome to actually ask one. By the way you do not control the rules of this conversation determine what is ackegit arguement and what isn't.

I haven't recognized a single question or point that you have made maybe because you haven't made a relevant one yet. Your welcome to actually ask one. By the way you do not control the rules of this conversation determine what is ackegit arguement and what isn't.

You are hilarious. I'm going to follow your posts just for the entertainment value.

BTW what is "ackegit"? Have fun here. ;-)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top