JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For an eyeopener on urban/suburban yotes, see the documentation "Coywolves" on the Netflix channel!!!

When we go south to Arizona in the winter, during daytime we see yotes everywhere running between the RVs out in the desert. They will steal a small pooch right off the leash next to the trailer if one isn't watching. And at night.... forget aboud it!!! They will send a female to lure a full sized dog out into the bush/arroyo and then you see "lost dog" signs around. Keep your cats and doggies close!! Mountain lions regularly take them too. Bend, La Grande, etc.

We have Duck's,Chicken's + Turkey's.
The Duck's can see the best at night and are the only ones that make noise BEFORE they are attacked !!

I used a pup distress call to bring a momma down of the hill last night. 1/2 + mile away after hearing them yelping around 2am.

Couldn't get a clean shot on her behind the brush :(.

Ruger MKII with Quantum integral quieter than a bb gun !!

Several times I have found remains of our chickens about 100 yards away from the house. I think they run away with it until they feel safe. Then stop to pluck and eat some before taking it to another area.

..." My question is, will coyotes carry their prey back to their den, or will they eat it where they kill it? If they are interrupted during the process will they come back later for it? Im just wondering if I have any chance at all of finding my cats remains " .
-------
They will do both . Eat it on the spot or if there is any pressure present they will grab and run . Also, when the pup's are born they will run there routes hunt and eat. Then rush back to the den to regurgitate/feed the .Bi.t.ch while she is nursing and can't hunt .
. For larger kills like newborn calves or fawn they will come back and sniff and nibble on what little is leftover of a sack of hide and bone .

Last Edited:
Sorry for the lost! Easy to get attached to pets. I would become a bloody coyote slaughter junkie if my dogs became prey. I just moved to a new house on the outskirts of town and I'm concerned about the coyote problem. There are web sites that cover living with coyotes.
I could not do poison because 1) illegal 2) kills things you don't want to kill 3) lazy mans method. Get you hunter neighbors involved. Hunt the outer edges of neighborhood where it is legal to shoot. Use quieter guns, bows so as to not to scare residence in their homes. Calls are legal but get the proper license.
There are theories that hunting coyotes increase the population (more pups in the litter). My opinion is that equals more squeezes of the trigger.

I've lost a few cats to coyotes. The last one I managed to find the tail when the dog drug it out of the bushes.
Now the cats are confined to the house, deck and garage.

Ah, yes. The great circle of life.

View attachment 313082
Here's our stat's..................

Coyote's:
X 15 chicken's
X 2 Turkey's
X 1 xxxxx
Our 2 German Shepard's:
X 1 Coyote
X 12 Chick's ( Damn dog was playing with them )

Last Edited:
Nope. I'm as dead serious as pets that they take.

Are you baiting me?

Advocating illegal practices on a public website... sheesh.

Let's be practical. IMO I shouldn't have to be writing any of this. Poison might work out on the ranch or farm, but in a community where there are other houses? That's just plain ridiculous!!! Poisoned bait is an indiscriminate killer and the practice could kill more pets than the coyotes are taking.

Are you baiting me?

Advocating illegal practices on a public website... sheesh.

Let's be practical. IMO I shouldn't have to be writing any of this. Poison might work out on the ranch or farm, but in a community where there are other houses? That's just plain ridiculous!!! Poisoned bait is an indiscriminate killer and the practice could kill more pets than the coyotes are taking.

Somebody had to be "that guy".... I'm licking the spoon I stirred the pot with. I'm also fully aware that poison has its way of getting into the ecosystem and would kill what eats the animal, buzzard, eagle etc. and I like non nuisance wildlife.

What I am serious about is making sure whatever kills pets dies.

I just started the process on my first NFA item! One of those integrally suppressed 10/22's with the gemtech barrel... I don't have any illusions about being able to take out a coyote in my front yard but this whole experience was a good excuse to get the ball rolling on my first suppressor. Watch out all you suburban 'yotes- I'm a-comin for you!
Muhahahahaaa

Edit to add: I know the laws regarding the discharge of firearms within city limits and would never do so, or encourage someone to do so. I'm just talkin bubblegum in this post.

I just started the process on my first NFA item! One of those integrally suppressed 10/22's with the gemtech barrel... I don't have any illusions about being able to take out a coyote in my front yard but this whole experience was a good excuse to get the ball rolling on my first suppressor. Watch out all you suburban 'yotes- I'm a-comin for you!
Muhahahahaaa

Edit to add: I know the laws regarding the discharge of firearms within city limits and would never do so, or encourage someone to do so. I'm just talkin bubblegum in this post.
Just get subsonic for the full silent deal on your suppressor ;)

Several times I have found remains of our chickens about 100 yards away from the house. I think they run away with it until they feel safe. Then stop to pluck and eat some before taking it to another area.

That might not be coyotes, that might be raccoons. When we had chickens, the raccoons would disembowel them, shred them with feathers everywhere, but not eat them. They were after the eggs. They would also chase the chickens down and kill them, which might explain the distance. Now, what we experienced was that coyotes will generally not leave much behind. The yelping you hear in the distance is generally a "kill" and the gang partaking in a bit of a meal. Even individually, they devour something the size of a chicken pretty quickly. Just my .02.

Do you not have right to protect you and yours on your own property? Is a pet killing yote any different than pet killing dog, bear or cougar? I'm thinking a hi-powered 22 cal air rifle with good hunting pellets. :mad:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top