JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am trying out this Micro Goal strategy to help with my weight loss challenge. Tonight I was thinking that it could help with another challenge of mine, disorganization.

My thought is to try using micro goals to get my workshop/gun room in order. If I were to total up all the square footage of storage space including non walking floor space, tool box drawer space, shelf space, etc, I am guessing I have at least 200 sq ft of space to organize. My plan is to break it down into 2sq ft sections and clean at least one section everyday while drinking my morning coffee.

If it works for my weightloss and for organizing, I might try it for some of the firearm builds, maintenance, etc, I have been putting off.

Has anybody else tried breaking down task like this into bite size goals? If so did it work or did you decide to knock it all out in a short period of time or did you give up?

I've tackled cleaning/organizing projects like this. It works.

The real issue is long term through.
What is your plan to maintain it?
Good question. Haven't got that far yet. The habits I am trying to develop for weight loss are meant to be permanent, the cleaning of the gun room could be as well. The time spent in gun room could be allocated to other activities if organizing isn't necessary. Currently I only go out there to stuff the new items I bought into any open crevice I can find. It is a sickness really:)

Certainly sounds like a good thing to try. I often find myself looking at my "to do" things and never getting started at all. Sounds like this may be well worth a try. Pick some small part to get done at a time. Sure beats just not doing anything while I wait for more time to attack the stuff :D

I keep a to-do list on my phone's notes app, and edit it throughout the day, works for me

e.g.

Monday:
A-B am workout
C am sell underappreciated gun
Organize toolbox
D-E pm work

Tuesday:
etc

2/31 appointment

Keep it simple and it'll be easier to maintain

Some things in some subject matters - I do a BIT at a time. In one room be it paperwork, a file cabinet, a desk, a former HUGE library of books back east, music/film collections, tax records, etc.

Piles and groups of ITEMS that belong together.

Keep, sell and or donate or GIFT to friends - groups.

Gun room stuff?

My husband's primers were counted, put on an updated list - spreadsheet, grouped together and IMMEDIATELY PUT AWAY for safety issues.

Some of my husband's primers were gifted several years ago before the SUPER crazy primer times to a close friend when he got out of some firearm calibers. Some were sold since he downsized and consolidated firearms and ALL calibers.

(Disclaimer: I do not reload, I never did reload and I have NO plans on ever reloading.)

I SPREAD IT ALL OUT! (We do not have any children and we do not have company over often so I am NOT concerned now or in the past about stuff being in the way or getting damaged when I do 'work' like this. Work = helping my husband with HIS gun stuff and any past or future sales/gifts.)

I used the den, living room and a bit of the kitchen for selling, gifting and KEEPING. All on solid oak floors and on a few tables. The end of the kitchen floor by the door to the garage was used briefly while he LOOKED it all over ONE LAST TIME and moved it to his truck. The living room floor was used the most compared to the den aka gun room. More room to move around and SORT - group items.

ALL of the below was spread out. Before it was put away to keep AND before it was gifted or sold.

Powders, reloading bullets, NEW and some lightly used brass, some reloading equipment, dies - some used and some NIB as a spare die, etc.

I spread out ALL RF ammunition that he was getting out of including some that I gifted him when he went mainly to HP in 22lr. The 22wmr is in HP and in RN.

I spread out a BIT of factory ammunition in CF calibers that he was getting out of or was going to sell as a PACKAGE DEAL with a gun.

Plus any other factory ammo that we were no longer going to use - years ago and recently.

FACTORY AMMUNITION (CF and RF) stayed in factory boxes. That is how he stored/stores it and I did and do the same thing. (Same with factory shotgun ammo - it stayed in boxes. He no longer owns a shotgun. Bye - bye to that too.)

I had clear plastic tubs, some larger Rubbermaid tubs and some ammo cans.

FIREARM caliber, Brand Names of factory ammunition especially in RF ammo since there was not too much of factory CF ammo to begin with, type of ammunition, grain, etc. were grouped in their specific groups/piles.

It was easy to STORE once it was organized and MOVED. Most of it was organized to BEGIN WITH but it was organized much better especially once we moved into the house that I built.

Then before he retired, some after he retired and even NOW... it was and it is easy for him to GO through and see what he chooses to KEEP, sell or gift as He Ages and changes some more guns around.

Plus what he chooses to reload for or NOT to reload for. Example: He will not reload for his NIB Glock .380 acp pistol but he will reload for his 45acp pistol as he has since the early 70's.

Best wishes to you.

Cate

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews