JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Howdy all. I have a couple of questions regarding SB941. I am reasonably sure on these two points, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

Question One: My understanding is that the "firearm" being referenced in the law does not include antique firearms or replicas, so muzzleloaders would not require a background check, etc. However, I am not positive from the legalese. I have a muzzleloading rifle (Hawken-pattern, .54-cal.) I am considering selling, so I want to check before hand. Having to go through an FFL would, obviously, make the transaction slightly more obnoxious.

Question Two: From the language of the law, it seems clear to me that my father-in-law would be exempt from the background check business, but if there is some "devil in the details" I'm missing, then it would be good to know.

"A transferor's: spouse or domestic partner; parent or stepparent; a transferor's child
or stepchild; a transferor's sibling, grandparent, grandchild, aunt or uncle, first
cousin, niece or nephew, or the spouse or domestic partner of any of the above
relatives
;"
The reason for my asking is occasionally my wife's father (biologically so and legally wed to her mother) is down to help with projects. He asked to shoot my AR, which is fine by me, but I want to make sure neither of us run afoul of this rather foul law. And to be clear, he is not a prohibited person.

Thanks all.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads