JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This.

If you kill or injure any "fur bearing animal" (e.g., cougar, bobcat, lynx, fox) or game animal, even as an accident (e.g., hit it with your car), you are supposed to report it - IIRC, the OSP or ODFW (I looked it up once). The law changed recently about salvaging roadkill, and I haven't looked at the law since.

For killing a cougar or wolf or dog (feral or not) during predation on pets or livestock, you need to catch the animal in the act of chasing or killing animals (or humans) and then you need to report it. It would be best to have someone video the predator in the act while you go get your gun.

As for pets, It is best to keep them inside most of the time - way too many people move out here to the boonies and let their pets just roam around, then you see "pet missing" posters - sorry owners, they were coyote or cougar snacks.
The Sheriff was on site and saw the carnage, I called it in. That was when he gave me the advice. I really hope laws haven't changed.

All of our cats are in by 7:00-7:30 and don't get out until at least 9:30, and we are up and around. I have seen coyotes in my yard as late as 11:00 AM. I never have a shotgun handy when I need it.

The Sheriff was on site and saw the carnage, I called it in. That was when he gave me the advice. I really hope laws haven't changed.

All of our cats are in by 7:00-7:30 and don't get out until at least 9:30, and we are up and around. I have seen coyotes in my yard as late as 11:00 AM. I never have a shotgun handy when I need it.

We had a coyote chasing our chickens around in the front yard in broad daylight earlier this year. I stepped out the front door and took a crack at him, but I don't know if I winged him or not.

The chickens don't get to free range at our place anymore - at least, not until we get the predators under control. We lost one of our house cats this year. Never found any remains.

I'm SURE this has been discussed before.
We have a cougar issue...and a difference in opinions on what is legal or not legal.

If you have livestock, do you have to wait until your stock is attacked before you can legally kill a cougar?
A neighbor has lost two sheep, we lost 2 cats...another neighbor lost goats.

Now another neighbor is seeing it in there yard. They have sheep. Can they legally shoot the bastard even though it hasn't attacked their own sheep yet?

Are we legally supposed to tell ODFW if we shoot it?
(Personally, I'm of the SSS mind.)

Just want to know the legalities and biased Google is only showing me liberal cougar conservation crap.
Thanks!
Personally I would shoot it and say it was stalking the livestock when you made the decision to stop it.

This.

If you kill or injure any "fur bearing animal" (e.g., cougar, bobcat, lynx, fox) or game animal, even as an accident (e.g., hit it with your car), you are supposed to report it - IIRC, the OSP or ODFW (I looked it up once). The law changed recently about salvaging roadkill, and I haven't looked at the law since.

For killing a cougar or wolf or dog (feral or not) during predation on pets or livestock, you need to catch the animal in the act of chasing or killing animals (or humans) and then you need to report it. It would be best to have someone video the predator in the act while you go get your gun.

As for pets, It is best to keep them inside most of the time - way too many people move out here to the boonies and let their pets just roam around, then you see "pet missing" posters - sorry owners, they were coyote or cougar snacks.

Famous people think its okay to let their dogs run wild when they move out here. Then get all pizzed when someone deals with their dog after it does something hostile.

Playing and nip.

I'm sure thats most of it. Its probably mostly with kids too. Sometimes they just don't remember their own strength.

I have a toddler and have to remember that our dog is a descendant of wolves, after all.

5C2F341D-4381-454B-AEAC-09DA197B4EED.jpeg

1. Only date people 20 years your junior.
  2. Hold a vegan music festival for Anti-fa and radical Democrats. After a few get eaten, there will be a great hue and cry for dogs to be allowed in the hunt again. The supermajority will hold an "emergency" session and change the law. Of course, they'll try to stick some ban legislation in there too....

Too late to buy a cougar tag this year. They are only $16. If you buy a tag and shoot one you can keep the meat and have a sweet rug. Without a tag, unless you shoot, shovel and shut up, you'll have give up the animal, plead your case and hope they don't nail you. $16 for the insurance is worth it.

JUST BUY A COUGAR TAG AND SMACK EM! SEASON RUNS JAN 1-DEC 19TH OR UNTIL QUOTA IS FULL BUT ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE QUOTA HAS BEEN FILLED. THATS ALMOST A 12 MONTH SEASON ACCEPT FOR LAST TWO WEEKS OF DECEMBERISH.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top