JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes it is as small as it appears. I was thinking "small" cougar, but I haven't been hunting for long, so it is just my guess.

The good thing is you spotted it,Then researched it a little....
That is how I learned until I bought a book called Scats and Tracks....This book is as important to me as T.P. in the woods....:s0114:

Learning this is cool,Many will not invest the time....It is neat to know what is walking the same trails as you and knowing what that track is in your track on your way out or the next day:s0131:

I hope to get real good at track identification someday. I have to remind myself to be more aware of what's down the path in front of me when walking from one stand to another, as I am constantly looking for tracks and scat.

Scat and Tracks....my next book hehe.

Butcher and I saw more than a few tracks a couple weeks back on a few trails while looking for coyote.

I would like to go back, get a tag, and go after one.

But you are going to have to back me up with something a bit more substantial than that air rifle. :p

Butcher and I saw more than a few tracks a couple weeks back on a few trails while looking for coyote.

I would like to go back, get a tag, and go after one.

But you are going to have to back me up with something a bit more substantial than that air rifle. :p

I hear ya' there.

My .456 air rifle is a single-shot at that. It would kill one, but likely not as fast as I would like in an emergency save a CNS shot. Not to mention that it isn't a legal arm for big game in Oregon (yet).

However, my future .54/.58 caliber air rifle would knock the snot out of a cougar.

I felt pretty stupid a few months back when hunting by myself. When I got up from my stand to grab my decoy after about 20 minutes of calling to go to the next stand , I had a bear growl at me from about 200+ yards off. This happened two stands in a row.

That is when I decided the third time would likely not be a charm, and got the **** out of there.

Though I just can't help going out to call by myself at times, when there is no partner available. I just HAVE to hunt. Unfortunately, most of the really good coyote territory I know about is also prime cougar habitat. I have likely spooked more than one predator from the movement of watching my back:s0131: Thought I heard something RIGHT BEHIND ME once, and about jumped out of my chair!

Cougars and bears are the main reason I am getting an e-caller; a friend is putting it together as I write this.

Looking into getting a .45 Colt revolver, and a .45-70 lever-action specifically for going after bear/cougar (can you tell I am a .45 fan?). .45-70: kills critters DEAD!

I'm likely headed out to cougar country again this Sunday (partner will be bringing his .30-06).

Cougars and bears are the main reason I am having an e-caller put together as I write this.

Looking into getting a .45 Colt revolver, and a .45-70 lever-action for going after them specifically (can you tell I am a .45 fan?).

DSCN5534.jpg

what weapon did you shoot that paperback book with?
was that your air rifle?

Yes, it was my .456 air rifle, shooting the 260 grain slug shown in the picture. That is what a large meplat will do for ya'.

It is against the rules to post pictures of the game I have taken with it, or I would post the wild boar, and the exotic ram I killed with this rifle.

also, if you ever need a back up calling partner, I'd love to do this

the one thing that has made me hesitant to call for big cats is the possibility that one will sneak up behind me

I have gone predator calling with two members of this forum already, and would be happy to go out calling with a third.

Orduckhunter, let's go predator calling! You got your cougar tag already?

We will have to hit up the spot outside Springfield where I saw the enormous cougar scat. It had to come from one BIG cougar, as it was bigger than anything I ever dumped! I'm in Corvallis for now, but we'll think of something.

You get the cougar: I'll focus on coyotes. Maybe I'll have my e-caller w/ remote by the time we go, so the cougar will have it's focus off of our location. If not, we may be in for some real-deal excitement!

I have gone predator calling with two members of this forum already, and would be happy to go out calling with a third.

Orduckhunter, let's go predator calling! You got your cougar tag already?

We will have to hit up the spot outside Springfield where I saw the enormous cougar scat. It had to come from one BIG cougar, as it was bigger than anything I ever dumped! I'm in Corvallis for now, but we'll think of something.

You get the cougar: I'll focus on coyotes. Maybe I'll have my e-caller w/ remote by the time we go, so the cougar will have it's focus off of our location. If not, we may be in for some real-deal excitement!

I've got the tag!
And, I've got an e-caller I put together (not remote, though - but it does have a 60' cord to the speaker)
I'm ready - and can be available most of the time

Morning just scanning the ads and come across yours. i am an old fart, 64 here, have hunted the walla walla unit for over 30 years. if you are wanting to have a decent chance of getting a cougar, this is the area. when i was younger, used to see 100 elk a day in this area, its tough to hunt, but you are alone here. there are no weekend hunters here, you have to pack in by foot or bike a long way. Now with the ban on using dogs, the last year we hunted there, we seen exactly 0 elk in 5 days. we did however saw 18 cougar and i am sure that there were more than that, that seen us. game commision has no idea on how many cats are in this area. of all the old timers that hunt this area and like i said earlier, not many hunt here, they all can tell you stories of how brave the cats are getting. dont go there alone and be sure you are packing protection.

when I worked for the PD in Milton-Freewater we'd get calls on cougars walking around on the city golf course all the time..there are literally tons of cats out there.

My buddy got a 9 1/2 foot male in Idaho just across from Enterprise..they tree'd 3 cats in one nite with dogs. he shot the biggest one and has it full mounted in his den.

ODF should transplant a bunch of cats out here in Multnomah County..they could solve the homeless problem and the cougar problem at the same time

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top