Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cougar Hunting

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by usmc0311, Mar 15, 2009.

1. usmc0311

usmc0311 Portland Member

Anyone do it? What tactics do you use? Distress calls? Tracking? Solo or with a buddy?

I'm looking at getting into it, and trying to figure out my approach. Could be a lot of fun to hunt something that can hunt you back!

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

Ive done a little bit of cat hunting, some with calls, and sometimes with calls and a moving decoy. Only done it for a few years and never had any luck getting a shot off on one, but we have managed to call a few in.

I only do it with a buddy, since they are sneaky cats. I've heard a many stories of hunters ending up with cats a few yards away next to or behind them.

3. SDR

SDR Clackamas County, Oregon Silver Vendor Silver Vendor

The two ways I do it, #1 Is calling in the early season,I have had not much luck...I have seen the flash of them slipping away and that is about it...

#2 Wait until late season when the snow is deep along the rivers,Snow pushes all the critters down...Get a snow running quad or a snow mobile or the old fashioned way snow shoes and trek along rivers and trails until you find tracks,Follow the tracks until you find a kill....A fresh Kill that is...Look carefully in the trees as you may find a over stuffed kitty snoozing after a meal or it could be a hungry one interrupted and ready to attack the intruder....

I have brought in kitties while horn shed hunting in the Elk calving areas, During Turkey hunting...This is a hot zone but they are out of season at this time...

Hunting them in the trees after a kill in the snow is the best for me...:thumbup:

4. usmc0311

usmc0311 Portland Member

Thanks for the good info! It looks like I'll probably have to wait until winter to go out and try my tracking skills out.

Do either of you know how difficult it is to get private land access for cats? I would think land owners would be more inclined to let you hunt them than deer or elk.

5. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

I usually just go to the bar and buy em a couple long island ice teas. Works almost every time. ;)

6. Butcher45

Butcher45 Eugene Member

I have seen quite a bit of cougar sign in most of the area's I hunt. Mostly tracks, but I also saw some enormous cougar crap near Springfield. Bigger than any dump I ever took that's for sure LOL!

A guy we spoke to while scouting another area near Lebanon, saw a 100-130 pounder cross the road in front of his truck, about 30 minutes after we had spotted a coyote cross the same road in front of our truck, in the same area.

The cougar population (like the coyotes) is getting out of hand due to the banning of hunting them with hounds many years back.

Here's a track I came across while scouting. I think it's a cougar(?). Different area than the huge scat, but also outside of Springfield.

Tracks002.jpg

7. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

You leave those kitties alone you big meanie!!! :)

8. FatherHolyHoly

FatherHolyHoly MN Active Member

Oops, wrong kind of cougar...

9. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

I seen a few tracks up in the snow just before the gravel pit at memaloose

10. Jaybo

Jaybo Olympia Washington Member

I've been told there are quite a few that have radio collars up in Washington... Especially out by Leavenworth. Now.. I just need to figure out the frequency!!!.......:laugh::bluelaugh::thumbup:

11. finch6013

Let me know when you do figure out the frequency. I'd like to go hunt em with you

12. SDR

That is not hunting....Any dough ball can get one that way.....

Step into there home,Find them with what they leave behind...No fences,No dogs,No traps,No electronic gadgets....That is hunting...

I took one guy out,We tracked a cat for five miles or so in 6 inches of snow...We found him tearing apart a four Pnt buck...the distance was about eighty yards between us and the cat,I told this guy to take him,But he was too struck en by this huge male tearing this Deer apart...We where hunched down close to the ground and the cat saw us and charged ,I assume to protect it's kill...I had to shoot,This big male slid to a stop twenty steps from our position....This so called hunter literally wet himself....His wife told my wife he said this is crazy,He will never hunt with me again :thumbup:....I guess the rash he got from hauling out that cat in wet under cloths lasted days....:laugh:.... Cougar!...The other white meat...

13. finch6013

Sounds like a good time. I hope you know I was not serious about the frequency thing, give us a break. I imagine hunting cougar is pretty intense or can be. I was stalking a deer archery hunting one time when a cougar (screamed?) (Not sure what the proper word is) and it sounded quite close. Im sure it was probably watching me stalk its deer and I couldn't see him. Of course the deer took off like they do

14. SDR

This is a dog track...
    http://www.bear-tracker.com/caninevsfeline.html

15. SDR

Oh, I'm sure you were kidding....
    I just encounter so many people as in friends of friends or family that considered themselves hunters:laugh:...Dressed up like Elmer Fudd or the opposite like GI Joe and gonna go get themselves a animal...Driving the big bad 4x4 and the big bad rifle....I will see them after a day of hunting and they claim they hunted all day long and didn't see a thing ?...I look them over to see they are as clean and dry as I saw them in the morning....The week before after shave still lingering and the pit stick smell still as strong as ever...:thumbup:...
    I love to toss a little dig in when I can about people going hunting....Nothing bad intended,Just a Hey Man,Real Hunting is something like this....

16. finch6013

Understood. My family is pretty "hard core" into hunting like that. Although I have been known to road hunt for archery a few times

17. SDR

Easy ones are nice,But most of mine come out on my back or pulled out by a chainsaw winch...

18. finch6013

Talk about easy, one time I shot a deer at the top of a little canyon. The deer rolled down the hill at least 400 yds to the bottom. Turns out there was a road at the bottom so all we had to do was find out how to get to that road and drive down there to pick up the deer. Thats some easy hunting

19. Butcher45

Butcher45 Eugene Member

20. SDR

I have been following cougar tracks for years,Studying the scat,Poop,Leavings of the critters I follow....I have learned that tracks can be tough,But a pile of poo covered by sticks and twigs with ribbed edges every inch or so in the poo it self is a dead give a way...I'm not a track expert by any means,But I do know a pile of Poo very well....If I spotted that track I would be looking for a pile to confirm.....If it is a cat track,It would be a small one,Unless the picture makes it look smaller than it really is...I'm correct a lot,But now and then I get tossed that curve to remind me I don't know it all :thumbup:
    I will always listen to any and all advise and tactics from people that have experience....
    I'm always happy to share mine....