JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've used the same RCBS Rock chuck-er for >35 years and loaded hundreds of thousands of rounds with it ,,without a fail. Not fast but very precise and simple and more than sufficient for most anyone's use. I hate lee stuff,, and it just doesn't hold up for the amount of reloading I do.
for the casual reloader there OK though.

I ended up with a Dillon and 2 real old Lyman turrets for high volume use, but still have the Rock Chucker and use it allot,,still. Mostly for my hunting and defense loads where each round is done super precise and inspected each step of the way.

The RCBS kit is a good value if there built any where's as well as they used to be. I do like the Lyman carbide dies best though, and I have some that my Pa had and I'm still using them 50 years later and there still going strong after Lord Knows how many rounds reloaded with them.

Last Edited:
Still going. RCBS Jr. press, bought in 1973. 5-0-5 balance beam scale. Recently have been up dating my rcbs standard dies to rcbs carbide dies. Love those carbides. Upgrade to a progressive?? Maybe if I hit the lottery.

The rcbs rock chucker supreme kit is a great value. I just got one and loaded my first rounds ever.
The hand primer and powder measure were the only things that gave me trouble.
Note to self hold pan against measure spout or powder flies everywhere.
I recommend the plate to mount it to the bench, it makes install a breeze and has a place for the measure stand.

I have been happy with my RCBS Partner press. At the time I got it, reloading supplies were in short supply and I found one at Sportsmans for around $80 I think. So far no issues with it after a couple thousand rounds of 45Colt.

I hate lee stuff,, and it just doesn't hold up for the amount of reloading I do.
for the casual reloader there OK though.

To set the record straight for the "newb's", not ALL Lee stuff is crap. For the most part it's just their products that are made of, or contain a lot of, plastic.

Their case trimmers are rock solid and as simple as they get.
Their Dies won't win any beauty contests for finish but they do a fine job of what they were designed for.
Their presses are maybe not as massive and heavy as others but if you aren't sizing Magnum Rifle Cases and only loading 50-100 rounds at a time Lee Presses are a great value. Several competitive shooters I know use their decades old Lee single stage presses for forming their Benchrest cases.

For someone on a limited budget, Lee can do the job if looks and "Brand Name" don't scare you off.

Yes, it's not up to the task if you load hundreds or thousands of rounds per week but not all shooters load that much and they never will. Lee has a place in the market. Just don't expect it to perform above that "place".

Will, If you poke around a little you will find this subject has been broached a handful of times on this forum before. If you do, I think you'll find similar responses to what's being posted here.
I started loading about '90. At that time I bought a lightly used Lyman set up from a friend. This kit had a turret press, so that's what I started with.
To this day I still use it. I did put it away for a while after I got a Dillon 550, but learned that it had it's place for doing my hunting ammo.
I believe the RCBS Rockchucker kit is a great value and it's easy to find, but if I was doing it all over again and knew what I know now, I'd look for a decent turret press. Especially if you really only plan on doing one or two different calibers. Dies can be set up and don't need to be removed to go to the next step, ya just turn the head. A single stage with the "Lock and Load" conversion will serve with similar results.
I'm another one that has used and really likes the Lee Carbide dies. Most of my handgun dies are Lee. Great die, and not just for the money. I use RCBS for rifle, mostly, with the exception of a couple Hornady New Dimension. I like the floating collet on the Hornady, but one of the sizer dies had to be modified to size properly. Kinda soured my taste about buying another set...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top