JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I've never bought or used corrosive ammo. However I recently bought an AK-74 (5.45x39) and want to buy ammo in bulk.

I have two choices so far. 1,080 rounds of Russian surplus corrosive for $150, or 1,000 rounds of Wolf non-corrosive for $225.

While I'm not finished looking, and realize there may be better buys, it still seems that corrosive costs only about 2/3 of what non corrosive costs.

Since I want to buy 5,000 rounds, the difference will add up.

What to do?

Thanks.

I've dealt with corrosive ammo before, and it wasn't bad, as long as I took care of things right away.

I guess the real question is this: Is the ammo you are purchasing your SHTF stash, or is it your plinking/training ammo?

Buy the Russian surplus, its cheaper and goes bang. Just make sure you clean your gun at the end of shooting. You cant just go shooting then clean it later. The ak's are meant to shoot anything and anytime. The only time I would not want to shoot corrosive is if its a very expensive gun. Plus the spam cans are totally sealed so it would be good to stock up on and not worry about the atmosphere affecting the ammo. In my opinion the reason to buy an ak-74 is the cheap ammo, so keep it cheap. Otherwise I would rather have the 7.62x39.

I simply had a chance to buy the gun right. I've decided to keep it for SHTF in case a close friend, family member or neighbor isn't well armed.

I'll shoot it just enough to check it out, sight it in and clean and lube it. Then it will go into the safe hoping never to come out until the kids inherit it, lol.

In SHTF, a guy might not have much opportunity to clean it. On the other hand, the spam cans are sealed and also cheaper.

What to do?

get the corrosive ammo. Clean the gun right after shooting it. Shooters Choice and Hoppes no. 9 both claim to clean corrosive salt residues. CLP makes that claim as well. Those that doubt chemistry stick to the tried and true method of squirting windex down the barrel right after shooting, running a patch, then doing the thorough cleaning when they get home. Some folks say run warm water through the barrel right after shooting. The important thing is to clean the gun asap.

5000 RDS

$75 savings x5 $375 or

5000rds of wolf
or
7500 rds of surplus thats a lot more shooting for the same money

well the savings almost pays for another rifle should this one rust out

i personally have found wolf to be more accurate and reliable especially on my friends 5.45 ar15 upper

not having to clean it right away is a big plus ever got back late from shooting wanted to wait for the following day which turns into a week or after the next time you shoot

I shoot corrosive in my Mosin-Nagant... haven't had any problems, after shooting I simply give it a quick cleaning with plain water and then follow that with some WD-40 before heading home from the range.

The rifle/ammo combination you're talking about was designed to be used in battle by Soviet conscripts. It'll work for SHTF.

I only shoot milsurp and all my ammo is corrosive. It's no big deal, you just have to clean your guns well after shooting.

I hear a lot of people squirt Windex or water until they get their guns home, but that's only necessary if it's going to be a while. A rifle will not rust in an hour or two.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top