JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got a couple of side by sides free while doing a PSU dorm remodel this summer and I don't really need another fridge in the shop but I would like a full size freezer or two. I just had this idea to cut a couple small holes high and low in the divider to allow the colder air to circulate into both sides. The cooling is done with forced air so I don't think there are any surrounding refrigerant lines.

They were free so I can't lose if I make a shallow cut in the liner with a dremel tool and look around for wiring, etc. Any HVAC control reasons against doing this?

Smoker would be aswesome! A fish tnk would be cool too! Seen one the did on the show "Tanked" it was stainless but a normal one would be cool too if your a fish person...

TO your question tho I would suggest googling around with the Make/model #s and see bout finding the diagrams for it. Also I THINK (dont qoute me! Lol) That the hvac set up is down below and the air is circulated through those components (condenser ,etc) and is then circulted up to freezer section.

I would suggest seeing if you can find some diagrams tho so your not using two pumps/condensers for one freezer or so you know if its just one set up thats then regulated for refrigeration or what. I would just try to use the min number of components necessary so its more efficient. then again on the flipside maybe it would be better to have two small pumps sharing the workload as oppossed to depending on one that was designed to operate one side to operate double the space it was designed to.

Sorry for the ramble I think your best bet is some google searchin might get lucky and find a forum for it lol

Yeah they have just one condenser and tank and only the freezer side has a fan so that means the freezer side won't get overworked. Makes me wonder how the fridge side temperature is regulated tho, there might be some refrigerant lines in there somewhere afterall. Lets see how well my googlefoo works.

Thats good atleast its just one condenser and junk. Keep us posted ths will be interesting, I always like checkin out ppls good ol American Enginuity or hacksaw/duct tape job in some cases lol

Oh it's done, took me about five min. It had a port hidden on the bottom with a 1/2" reducer in it that I hogged out w a 1" paddle bit. The top has a vent that I cranked all the way open. The fridge is down to 26 degrees so far and I can always cut more holes. Now this is in winter so I'm wondering if it will hold up next year, might be a good idea to cover it w blankets to help it out. It would be stupid to risk losing meat in this thing when I could get a brand new freezer for a few hundred. But who knows if it stays frozen I might trust it next year.

hope you have the freezer indoors otherwise you can kill the thing with the outside air. I had one in an outdoor shed and it froze up on me the first winter.

0 degrees! :s0155:

Yesterday the freezer was pegging the thermometer down around 40- and the fridge only got down to 22 so I decided it was time for the sawzall treatment.

tool-time.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

The only problem your going to face is not having enough circulation. Most side by sides automatically pull the cooling for the fridge side from the freezer section. If you really want to make it work get a small 6 inch fan and hard wire it in to the existing wiring inside and you should be set. You should be able to find the power for it from the ice maker.

If you are going to use a fan for circulation why not find a cabinet fan for keeping electronics cool? about the size of a computer case fan should be plenty of air circulation - its not like you have to have high volume - just need to keep air moving a bit.

Typically the freezer fan is about 4 inches depending on size. The fridge side is about double the freezer side. Just saying. Typically you would go up not down. But its all an experiment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top