JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Shield 40 and love it. Or, at least now I do. The first few times I handled it I didn't really like it. After I'd shot it some it grew on me, mostly because I could shoot it accurately without having to "work" so hard. It's not my preferred carry gun, but it gets carried more because of it's size, or lack there of.
Even though I don't shoot it often, I shot a little over 50 rounds thru it Sunday and here's what I noticed.
When held like a tool, not a target pistol, using the second pad of my trigger finger I put holes right in the center of the target. I didn't need to focus so intently on the sights to hit where I was looking. What that meant to me is that when the chips are down, this gun will work for me.
I'd see about a pocket holster for something like the Shield and sticking it in that big pocket. It won't be as heavy and can give you some healthy firepower.

Back when I rode a bike I carried in a shoulder holster. It was easy if I wasn't gonna take my jacket off. I think having an decent set-up in the jacket makes sense. That way you can take it off and not have to deal with the exposed holster/gun.

In fact, I may have done something like this in the past.

Recently got to shoot again the Browning High Power. Wow. This is embarrassing to say but I hit quicker and more accurately with the High Power 9mm than with my Charter Arms .44 special Bull Dog. Something to consider. 14 shots vs 5 also.

Also considering the Grandkids. No way would we let our instructor let the kids shoot the Bulldog. It would ruin them. They are still too young. 10-15. But the High Power? Yep. Our instructor agreed. Sometimes smaller is better? I must say yes.

Never thought I would experience this.

I am now looking at a ruger lcr. Dont tell me about how they are the same as my 442, I will admit to this group that this is just an excuse to buy another guy that I "Need" for my jacket carry, but I am torn on the caliber. I like the lightweight of the .38, but want the power of the magnum, and the 9mm seems like a great option, but I am a little skeptical of the moon clips. Anyone here have experience with them? carrying a pocketful of moon clips seems impractical.

If you're looking for something that goes in the pocket, you're going to want smaller than the 19. The width on that is just as much as a full size frame. You need to get a single stack. Also, when frames get smaller, the parts get smaller. There's a bigger chance of problems with budget makers and small parts, so don't cheap out.

My opinion is to get the Glock 43. It's just so nice in so many ways. Reliability is amazing, it's ergonomic, simple to use. It gets a little too snappy with 115gr, so go right to the 124 or 147.

I have and like the Ruger LC9s, mine is the Pro model which has no external safety. I used to carry a XDS in 45, but it has limited capacity. I usually carry double stack and for a nine that would be the small Taurus PT-111 Millennium G2, 12 rounds smaller than a G-19, but nine's are not my normal cup of tea. I have a G-33 that I like but not love, but it fits in my pocket and is 357 Sig and I can shoot it accurately. For a jacket pocket I have a XD40 SC Mod 2, similar to what you want to move away from and a heavier 45 Mod 2.
Take look at the Taurus or single stack the LC9s

I wanted a single stacker in 9mm for carry.....slim, light and concealable.
Watched all the shootouts (reviews) and the Walther PPS-M2 seemed to be winning pretty much all of them.
So I bought the LE version (6,7,8 round mags and night sights).
With the 8 round mag it feels like a full size in my XL mitts.
Very accurate as well.

age8.jpg

Full Size, Compact or Sub-Compact.....only you know the answer to that.

I just picked my a shield 9mm and ordered a holster for it.
This will be my first time carrying a different piece in about 8 years. I'm used to my G26, but getting a little tired of the thickness of it.
Wanted something smaller, but not to small its uncomfortable.

the grip being a single stack and a lot thinner than the G26 will take some getting used to but I'm looking forward to carrying it and seeing if its more comfortable.

I just picked my a shield 9mm and ordered a holster for it.
This will be my first time carrying a different piece in about 8 years. I'm used to my G26, but getting a little tired of the thickness of it.
Wanted something smaller, but not to small its uncomfortable.

the grip being a single stack and a lot thinner than the G26 will take some getting used to but I'm looking forward to carrying it and seeing if its more comfortable.

Good choice and a great time to buy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads