JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
flatline001.jpg

I have a Barrel level in the rear dovetail on a 26" barrel model 94 with a Williams FP-94/36 TK peep sight and a MVA combination front sight. The bubble really helps for long distance.

are we just talking about setting up the scope?: if your scope has a flat bottom you should be able to just place a machinist rule under the main body of the scope and on top of your picatany rail.

if were just talking about general use the levels are not as useful. maintaining eye position to the parallax is more of an issue, in which I would suggest an Accucover, strange looking but a nice training aid.

if were just talking about general use the levels are not as useful. maintaining eye position to the parallax is more of an issue, in which I would suggest an Accucover, strange looking but a nice training aid.

No, having the rifle level is critical to making precise hits at long ranges. If you are canted 5 degrees (very easy to do), multiply the sine of 5* by the bullet drop in inches to get how far you will be off.

For example, on a .308 shooting Fed GMM at 600 yards, the bullet drops 102". That times sin5* is almost 9".

Wtf? I havn't seen these things since someone did an article about them back in the early 90s and they were all the rage with smallbore shooters.

As it turns out I shoot with a cant, what I did was simply learn to hold the rifle the same way every time, reminds me, I just found an old certificate from a smallbore match I shot back in the 1990's, 1567X93 Dewar Prone. (that's out of 1600X160). This was shot at 50 yards, with a 22 with peep sights.

Also, You are completely over thinking this, go out to the range, point your gun at the target, pull the trigger, adjust the sights, repeat until you are hitting the target. Once you are hitting the target, write down that turret setting and the conditions in your log book. Provided you can hold the rifle consistently the next time you encounter those conditions at that distance you should be able to put that dope on the gun, and hit the target. If not, no amount of leveling will help.

What you say makes perfect sense if you are target shooting at the same distance all the time. To shoot varied long distances with a canted rifle would require windage adjustments along with elevation adjustments for each and every distance where if the rifle is constantly level the only adjustment is the elevation change. It's not a gimmick.

I come from a slightly different world (black powder cartridge), but I can't imagine a level being mounted anywhere but right in the line of sight. Usually we have them built into the front aperture holder. Google Lee Shaver's stuff for an example. Otherwise, built into a scope from the factory. Major head motion, or even eye gymnastics, isn't going to help you. Any concentration thief is trouble.
And I agree with the smallbore shooter that cant isn't bad. It is just non-repeatable cant that is bad, and bubble levels are great for this.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top