JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gent's,
Here's the rundown. Typically, I carry a 5" 1911, I've got a tuckable IWB holster, and it disappears. Now for the challenge, my boss is a gun owner, but the employee handbook has a line item forbidding firearms in the office. That said, my boss and I traded guns in the office before he realized that the line item was there. He has his CHL, and knows that I have my CHL, but I know that he's wary of breaking the rules. My tuckable holster has clips that he would be able to spot, he's a sharp guy, so it would only be a matter of time before he figured it out.

I bought a Ruger LCP to carry in an ankle rig in my cowboy boot, but the ankle holster are thicker than I was expecting. I just returned the Galco Lite, and I tried on the Desantis Apache, which may work. I wear business casual, so it must be tuckable if IWB, or it must not appear to be a gun to even the sharpest eyes. I had a SW442 for a while, and it was fine in a pocket holster in jeans, but it prints too much in dress pants.

Does anybody know of a good option?

I'll have to think on that. I don't like that option quite as much, as it makes more laundry to wash. I'm also looking at the Desantis Apache and Trickster. As I'm the first in the office, I might just toss it in my drawer.

I had this custom made for $80
all leather, magnetic catches, approx. 4.5" x 6"
includes room for spare mag.
The "pen" is permanently attached and holds a small cleaning brush

if slightly larger would also also fit a sig p238

Put whatever logo on it to fit in with your lifestyle, if a stranger gets a glimpse and feel the need to ask...I say it's a video cam, or a GPS tracker for work.

sony holster.jpg SAM_0204.JPG SAM_0206.JPG

Heck ... put a RED CROSS logo on it, most will be afraid to ask;)

Last Edited:
The only problem, is that I'm an engineer, and there's a pretty good likelihood that someone may be interested in something that looks like it might have electronics in it. I've thought about carrying a briefcase, but I don't really have anything to put in it!

The only problem, is that I'm an engineer, and there's a pretty good likelihood that someone may be interested in something that looks like it might have electronics in it. I've thought about carrying a briefcase, but I don't really have anything to put in it!

I call BS.

An engineer with no briefcase or laptop ?? My background is ag engineering and some of those clowns had suitcases in college for all their gear.

Briefcase, smaller synthetic material, unassuming would make a real good cover for a carry piece, not ideal off body, but better than none. Tell them you have gone nerd.

I would think that Ruger LCP in .380 in an inside the waistband even with a tucked in shirt should work. Friend of mine who is an LEO, carries his third gun that way. Glock 40 on the belt, another .380 on his ankle. Not the easiest to pull and present, but again better than none at all.

I call BS.

An engineer with no briefcase or laptop ?? My background is ag engineering and some of those clowns had suitcases in college for all their gear.

Briefcase, smaller synthetic material, unassuming would make a real good cover for a carry piece, not ideal off body, but better than none. Tell them you have gone nerd.
ROFL! I have a laptop, but it resides in the office. I leave my massive ti89 calculator at the office, so other than my lunch, there's not much that I take to and from work.

so other than my lunch, there's not much that I take to and from work.

Well, padded form fitting foam inset with a false bottom in a padded insulated lunch bag. Hell, you could get a fold down carbine in there.

Back post 9 /11 , I made a "stylus" for my Palm pilot out of some industrial grade polymers, fashioned a wood handle for it that went as a "elevation support" for my lap top, and carried the two separately around this country for 3 years through hundreds of screenings. There is always a way.

I have a line in my employee handbook that forbids weapons on property. I wrote the handbook. I carry everyday. The line is there for insurance purposes. Insurance company does an audit every once and a while and calculates our rates going forwarded based on a number of things turned up during those safety audits. If you ever had to use the weapon at the office, chances are good that insurance might not cover some of the costs incurred, but who the bubblegum cares as long as lives are saved. I'd be candid with my boss about this possibility, because in all likelihood, you could probably still carry per usual.

I have a line in my employee handbook that forbids weapons on property. I wrote the handbook. I carry everyday. The line is there for insurance purposes. Insurance company does an audit every once and a while and calculates our rates going forwarded based on a number of things turned up during those safety audits. If you ever had to use the weapon at the office, chances are good that insurance might not cover some of the costs incurred, but who the bubblegum cares as long as lives are saved. I'd be candid with my boss about this possibility, because in all likelihood, you could probably still carry per usual.
I'd just as soon not have him know. He's mentioned wanting to carry, but he's a rule follower, so he won't.

I guess i was implying that maybe you should have a candid conversation with him about the possibility that the rule is just there for other reasons and is not likely to be enforced.

If you can sell him on the idea of both you carrying before you have to figure out a way to sneak around the rules you might be better off. if not, then you still have the opportunity to get all sneaky like

So the owner, who lives in Kommifornia, is anti-gun, and likely has the rule in place for insurance and personal reasons. That said, I know my boss doesn't want to break the rules, so I plan on doing it all sneaky like. :)

"I'd be candid with my boss"

Straight up,
Couple cigars, bottle of whiskey and discuss the merits.

Hell, suggest making it part of the "business continuity plan".
We where no evil 1911 patterns, things soften, BBQ's help.
Just don't leave it laying on the TP holder.

Hope it goes well,
Steve

"I'd be candid with my boss"

Straight up,
Couple cigars, bottle of whiskey and discuss the merits.

He's a Baptist that doesn't drink or smoke like us Presbyterian's. I'm pretty sure he assumes I carry anyways, kind of a "don't ask questions you don't want answers to" policy.

The last thing I am doing is having a "candid" conversation with my BOSS after a few pops, or before a few pops, or any time for that matter about me violating a written company policy on firearms in the workplace.

Quickest way to become unemployed when the sh*t goes sideways between you two in the workplace, and it will, when and how bad is the question. Rules are in place to be followed in arbitrary and unpredictable fashion by employers. Been on both sides of the issue a few times.

When the sh*t goes down, the boss wins. Always. Does not have to be fair or right, that is just the way it is. He will have his job and you will not.

Thunderwear might be a good option - a smaller gun, no clips, no visible holster - and if your boss is heterosexual - he probably isn't going to be checking out your junk. You can carry a small auto and a spare mag no problem.

Or get an IWB holster that has velcro on the outside, and have velcro sewn or otherwise attached to the inside of your pants - a flap sewn at the waist of the pants at the belt line and hanging down like a pocket wouldn't leave any tell-tale tailor marks - it would be hidden behind your belt. Similarly, this could be done with the bottom of your shirt, or leave enough space at the top of the holster to tuck the shirt in around without it getting velcroed in place.

Again - a smaller single stack auto like a Shield or Kahr would probably be best since the pressure from your belt and the velcro would be what was holding the holster in place. A kydex holster made from thin .040 or .060" material would conceal very well. Velcro with 3M adhesive backing should stick to the kydex just fine.

Or get a murse ala Maxpedition bag - throw together a first aid kit/tool kit etc to occupy the main compartments and keep a firearm in the rear zippered compartment. Off body carry isn't my first choice - but it's better than not carrying at all. Your boss might recognize the 5.11 or Maxpedition packs as being concealment packs though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top