JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am pretty well set on my emergency kits, and now thinking to keep a few of the most common parts on AR-15/M4 variant rifles to break as part of those kits. I'm pretty new to the black rifle, so any help would be appreciated.
I don't want to keep every part imaginable, just those most commonly broken seen by you smiths, operators, troops, vets, etc.

Thanks!

Get an LPK to start with, that'll cover everything for the lower. I'm sure that's just a start as the other folks here know far more than I do. A spare lower parts kit isn't a bad idea though.

some manufactures like dpms sell kits to what they consider ware out

the only parts i have had issues or expect failure off the top of my head are

cam pin-must have ( i have had one break it was not a mil spec brand )

gas rings -must have (these ware out)

extractor assembly -must have

ejector assembly -must have

firing pin -should have

possibly FCG -just for insurance

buffer detent assembly -should have

bolt maybe but odds are it will last as long as your barrel but if your
planning for the shtf then pack one

you can fit all these into a grip compartment or a2 buttstock

or get a spare complete rifle then you will have all the spare parts you need.

every thing else is ware and tear should last life of rifle or unless you break it or abuse it or totally take it apart and springs or detents flying through the air.

all of my ar's have magpul grips with the bolt/firing pin insert in the grip.
then i still have a little room and i put a extracter and spring plus cam pin all in a plastic bag and stuff those in there to. spare battery goes in the larue mount for my m3. also on my main rifle my noveske n4 it has all the above on and in it then i have a lmt sop mod stock and they have storage spots in them.i put misc. stuff in those two spots. the only thing that i can't keep on the rifle that i really wish i could might be a extra gas tube.:s0155:

all of my ar's have magpul grips with the bolt/firing pin insert in the grip.
then i still have a little room and i put a extracter and spring plus cam pin all in a plastic bag and stuff those in there to. spare battery goes in the larue mount for my m3. also on my main rifle my noveske n4 it has all the above on and in it then i have a lmt sop mod stock and they have storage spots in them.i put misc. stuff in those two spots. the only thing that i can't keep on the rifle that i really wish i could might be a extra gas tube.:s0155:

I would keep a spare bolt and firing pin at a minimum. Other than that, maybe an extra LPK, but if your lower is assembled correctly, you're going to go through a ton of ammo before something in the lower needs to be replaced (assuming you're starting out with quality parts).

Some guys carry so many spare parts with them they might as well have a second rifle. Gas rings, ejector and extractor parts are what I carry with me. I keep a LPK and firing pin in the spares box at home, a spare bolt would be nice to have, but now your getting close to a spare rifle.

I have read that most bolts start showing cracks at 5000 rds and the buffer tube spring is getting weak at the same point. unless your using a David Tubbs spring there good to 50,000 rds.:cool:
ymmv
Ron

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews