Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Colt Year ID and thoughts

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by koolminx, Jul 15, 2010.

1. koolminx

koolminx Gorst-Orchard New Member

I have what appears to be a Colt Woodsman. The Clip says woodsman, but it might not be the correct clip for it.

The serial number is 3539 Which I take to be a late 1916 model.

The only dates on this semi are 1903 on the barrel. the rest looks like a woodsman that are illustrated in some pics I've seen from Lowell E Pauli.

normal_0715100810.jpg

Second opinions are always good though.

normal_0715100811.jpg

Secondly, Can I shoot it without standard vel. 22 LR rounds without damaging it? There is a notch in the chamber at the back where it will blow out the brass on a LR shell (as told me by my mom's hubby that gave me the piece), right where the ejector finger sits, but the notch is not the shape of the finger. Anyone have any clue how it got there? How to repair it, or is this simply Eye Candy from now on.

normal_0715100813.jpg

Lastly, why is it called a PRE-Woodsman if it's NOT a Woodsman yet BE in the Woodsman Category? What the heck do I call it? My Fake Woodsman :)

2. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

Proofhoouse.com shows it being a 1916 model. Maybe the 1903 is the year of the patent:huh:

3. koolminx

So it's simply called a 1916 Model and no name? It's a Colt 1916?

What do they call a pistol that they LATER name a Woodsman if it's basically the same thing, but labeled a "Pre" woodsman...?

Thanks or helping :) This is fun!~

4. numbnutz

numbnutz molalla Active Member

Sorry I geuss I left that out. The section where I found the serial number for your colt was labled "Woodsmen". If you go to proofhouse.com you can check it for yourself. Hope this helps a little more:thumbup:

5. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Look at the breechface, I think the notch will line up with the firing pin. Maybe the reason why you never dryfire a .22 rf.

6. koolminx

Nope. Firing pin it Top Dead Center...

Any other thoughts?

7. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

Is it caused by the extractor?

8. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter