JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would test it first to see if you have in fact solved the issues, then order a Wilson combat extended slide stop lever any way! Makes things a little easier to reach with the right hand when doing a reload! Midway USA had them on sale for $35 last I checked and i picked up a pair for a few builds I have in the works!
I have one of those but the problem I've found is nobody makes a holster to fit those especially a kydex one. Also... since then Ive taken the position that the slide stop lever is just that and not a slide release lever.

Worst case, i could send you a brand new Kimber slide stop, no charge. Send me a pm if you want it!:)
Koda is right, it shouldn't need fitting, they are a pretty standard mil spec part, and if your having issues, its out of spec and should be replaced!

I have one of those but the problem I've found is nobody makes a holster to fit those especially a kydex one. Also... since then Ive taken the position that the slide stop lever is just that and not a slide release lever.
The ones I use dosnt stick out any more then factory, they just extend back toward the safety lever! They do need a bit of relieving of the top of the grip, but its really easy to do!

slide stop levers actually have a lot of complex geometry, really hard to check and measure for the average home hobbyist.

google 1911 blueprints if you want to see the blueprint for a slide stop... The dimensions you should check are .198", .066", .115", among others related to the part that protrudes into the frame...
https://www.m1911.org/technic.htm

or you could just buy a new one. I kinda feel as if your resorting to grinding on things, then it should be replaced.

I would test it first to see if you have in fact solved the issues, then order a Wilson combat extended slide stop lever any way! Makes things a little easier to reach with the right hand when doing a reload! Midway USA had them on sale for $35 last I checked and i picked up a pair for a few builds I have in the works!

I'm going with Ura-Ki on this one. The fact is I've been f$%#ing with this problem for long enough and I want a solution on this gun. If I've screwed it up somehow, then a new slide-lock lever is cheap.

After grinding the inner nub down I checked the follower and saw there is plenty of contact with the lever, so I'm not worried I've destroyed it. There seems to be only two functions of the lever in this context:
  1. Activate the slide-lock when coming in contact with the follower on an empty magazine.
  2. Allow unobstructed access of rising rounds into the firing chamber.
If by making a homemade adjustment to the slide lock lever I have achieved #2 without hurting #1, then in my opinion it's a win all around.

At this point I'm not too concerned with the purity of the design; I just want a gun that works.

The ones I use dosnt stick out any more then factory, they just extend back toward the safety lever! They do need a bit of relieving of the top of the grip, but its really easy to do!
thats the one I have... its the part that extends back toward the safety lever that doesnt fit kydex holsters. If its not on a blue gun they don't make a holster for it.

Yet another reason for me to go see Ryan at Orygunholsterworks for one of his custom fit Kydex holsters, he can mould it to fit right then!:)
the problem is 1911's tend to multiply and its hard to keep up with the custom slide stops....

plus, its a stop, not a release... just sayin ;)

I'm not sure if it's on the web somewhere but if you can find the design that the Detonics .45 Associates used for their Guns you might want to try it. It involves the Rear face having a bevel cut on it. It really does work.:D:D:D

You probably fixed it. The follower has to push up on the stop to hold the slide and cartridges can't interfere with the stop. Pretty simple.
I've had to modify some Hi-Power stops that big ol' flat nose SWC's would hit.

Here's my latest report on my Defender.

I filed back the slide-lock lever just a teensy bit and tested it on Oct 24.

The results weren't favorable. I shot 98 rounds of FMJ (American Eagle 230gr) alternating between two 7-round magazines. No problems at all with the first 6 mag loads. But the next 6 mag loads each had one problem: 5 premature slide-locks and one failure to feed (last round in magazine stuck angled half in magazine and half in chamber). The final two mags went without a hitch. Keeping score, that's 6/98 or a 6% failure rate.

Afterwards, I inspected the slide lock lever and saw traces of brass. So filed that sucker down a bit more and visually inspected how close the FMJ rounds would come as they rose out of the magazine, and it looked to have enough room to avoid contact.

Here's an interesting point: I also inspected how close my preferred personal defense round (Hornady 200 gr XTP) would come when rising from the magazine and saw there was a much greater distance here between the round and the slide lock than on the FMJ rounds. This is important, because as my carry weapon, I won't typically be using FMJ rounds, so with a greater gap between the round and the slide lock, the chances of an XTP round contacting the slide lock are much less. More testing was needed, with both FMJ and XTP rounds.

I finally had that chance this week. I loaded 49 rounds of Hornady 200 gr XTP into seven magazines. I experienced no premature slide lock-back. I did have a couple back-to-back failure to feeds from one particular magazine (the original factory Colt magazine that came with the gun), so I'm eliminating that magazine from my rotation.

Following that experiment, I proceeded to load FMJ and had no further premature slide lock-back issues.

Yay. Problem solved.

So my Defender is back on my hip as my carry weapon with Hornady 200gr XTP.

Note: I did experience a couple slide lock failures on the last round, so I may have removed a little too much of the lever. I will be ordering a replacement as a back up in case this becomes an issue, but to be honest, I'd rather have that problem than premature slide lock.

In my expearience the little 1911s are hard to feed bullets with an ogive that will reach the slide stop. The gun being small allows the twisting in the hand and the magazine design allows the loaded round to flop on the twist to hit the slide lock. Your 200 gainers should work well because the ogive of the bullet is more pointed and cant' reach the slide stop.

In my little 1911 it runs perfect on lswc 200 grain bullets.

That is my thinking as well.

It's great you figured it out, most guys don't. The dynamics of the small guns confuse people and they dont' tend to be able to figure out why they wont' run. Even some of the smiths think you need new parts or grind parts to make an old design work when it' just the load that needs to change. Some small 1911s just can't shoot ball ammo with an ogive that catches the slide release.

No telling how many guys you will save all the troubles you went through, good show old chap.

Not a 1911 problem but I got a Alpha wolf barrel for my Glock 22 brand new put it in and couldn't get it to feed I had to file the edge of the Port and polished the crap out of it fired 100 rounds today with only one fell to feed lol and I need to clean my 1911 first shot my trigger would not reset .took mag out unload the gun put some lube on the side of trigger and it worked .I never really took the gun all the way apart sense I bought it

Also you are smart enough to test your defense ammo lol I always take some of the exspesive stuff to the range lol sucks if you're gun shoots Target ammo and jams when you use hollow points or other defense ammo

I remember when you started this thread we all that it was a mag problem lol well at least you got it figured out
Yeah, and after buying six different magazines, the problem persisted. I came out of this with a good mag collection!

Yeah, and after buying six different magazines, the problem persisted. I came out of this with a good mag collection!
Well that's not a bad thing lol I buy mags all the time even though I don't really need them hehe I have 16 mags for my 1911 and 12 .15 round mags for my Glock plus two 22 round mags 5 mags for my p89 and I can't count how many AR mags I got probably 30 AK mags hehehe hehehe

Well that's not a bad thing lol I buy mags all the time even though I don't really need them hehe I have 16 mags for my 1911 and 12 .15 round mags for my Glock plus two 22 round mags 5 mags for my p89 and I can't count how many AR mags I got probably 30 AK mags hehehe hehehe
That sounds like a borderline obsessive disorder!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top