JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Was qualifying today for the Idaho Enhanced Carry Permit. The qualification consists of a state-mandated 98 rounds shot. I was using my Colt Defender which I purchased in January. I've got about 700 rounds through it so far.

During the shoot, I was consistently having problems with the last round in the factory magazines I got with the gun. Sometimes it would feed in a vertical, other times it would only half-feed and jam between the slide and the frame.

This problem was restricted to the last round in the magazine. It would happen about every other load. I was thinking it might be due to limp-wristing, but my grip felt pretty consistent throughout (high and tight), and my hits didn't indicate any variation - that is, I wasn't missing like I would if I was relaxing.

My thought is that the factory mags from Colt aren't holding up. They don't appear to be user serviceable. I'm thinking of replacing them with Wilson Combat versions that I can take a apart and clean occasionally.

Thoughts?

The small 1911s require a very stiff wrist. As the mag lightens the recoil increases and the last round would deliver the largest amount.

But I would be more inclined to blame the mag spring. It's quite possible you can tilt the lifter to remove it from the mag, then change the spring.

On a sad note, I've, over the years, thought of Colt magazines as having a high standred of excellence! Too bad that these days one has to go to aftermarket mags to operate reliably in their own (Colt's) pistols! :(
The above posts sound perfectly reasonable. Good luck recovering your faith in your pistol, Sigma!
BTW, I like Wilson Combat as a preference!

Last Edited:
I bet there is a you tube clip that will show you how to get your follower and spring out.
You may or may not know how to push the spring and follower down with a pencil then push a nail through the wholes in the side of the mag body so the spring can't extend.
Then the follower is free and comes right out. Pull the nail and the spring comes out..

Was qualifying today for the Idaho Enhanced Carry Permit. The qualification consists of a state-mandated 98 rounds shot. I was using my Colt Defender which I purchased in January. I've got about 700 rounds through it so far.

During the shoot, I was consistently having problems with the last round in the factory magazines I got with the gun. Sometimes it would feed in a vertical, other times it would only half-feed and jam between the slide and the frame.

This problem was restricted to the last round in the magazine. It would happen about every other load. I was thinking it might be due to limp-wristing, but my grip felt pretty consistent throughout (high and tight), and my hits didn't indicate any variation - that is, I wasn't missing like I would if I was relaxing.

My thought is that the factory mags from Colt aren't holding up. They don't appear to be user serviceable. I'm thinking of replacing them with Wilson Combat versions that I can take a apart and clean occasionally.

Thoughts?
Do you only have the one mag? Or were you only trying one? That would be the first place I would look. Mark a few mags and see if it's just one. If it is that's a simple fix. If it's happening with multiple mags maybe a different brand.

I think I discovered the problem: I'm 95% certain it's a damaged mag. At the top where the mag comes in contact with the magazine catch lock when inserted into the handle/grip, there is an obvious dent. When I push down on the spring assembly it catches slightly at that point - it's not much but it's a noticeable hitch. Because it is at the top, any affect it would have had would be on the last round. Problem identified (I think)!

frontview.jpg

profile.jpg

The cause is (I assume) from slamming the mag into the pistol. I don't recall ever doing that myself - I usually go with a firm and steady push until I hear the click, but I was out shooting with some friends recently (before these troubles started) and one of the guys kept banging the mag into the gun (Hollywood style! He seemed fairly new to pistols, though he was otherwise behaving in a safe manner). I told him to take it easy and not bang it but to push it firmly until it clicked into place, but he kept doing it. Needless to say he didn't get to shoot my gun anymore after that. Ever since then I've had the feed issues. Took the mags out and inspected them, comparing them to my Commander mags and saw the dent. It's much more pronounced on one than the other. I hope the internal magazine catch lock isn't bent, but since it's not malfunctioning and still clicking the mags in place, I think it's fine.

I bought a couple new Wilson Combat mags. Not only are they not dented at the top, but they are slightly more curved than the standard Colt mags, which may help initiate the levering-back of the magazine catch lock without damage. Still, I'm getting in the habit of pushing the mag-release button each time I insert a mag, just until it's past that section. I haven't had a chance to test them for better performance, but I suspect I will no longer have this particular feed issue.

New rule: Nobody shoots my carry gun but me and the Missus.

Last Edited:
I'm going to test it hard this weekend. I've got lots of cardboard and paper that needs to die.

This is kinda a guess because I don't really know how it works on a 1911 but it was probably damaged by someone holding the Mag release button when slamming a new Mag in on my little 380 if I push the Mag release button I can't put a Mag in

One thing to keep in mind is not all MAG manufacture mags will fit every 1911 exactly the same, many will require "tuning" to get them to fully seat ( which is the most common issue) or to get them to release properly. My guess is your mag got jammed in a little too hard and this combined with the small pistol size and the spring tension is what is causing your issue ( as you found) the nice thing is, you can probably save that Colt Mag by gently tapping out the bend with a small ball peen hammer ( Tiny Bopper) and it should run just fine! Good luck!:)

I think I discovered the problem: I'm 95% certain it's a damaged mag. At the top where the mag comes in contact with the magazine catch lock when inserted into the handle/grip, there is an obvious dent. When I push down on the spring assembly it catches slightly at that point - it's not much but it's a noticeable hitch. Because it is at the top, any affect it would have had would be on the last round. Problem identified (I think)!

View attachment 365802

View attachment 365803

The cause is (I assume) from slamming the mag into the pistol. I don't recall ever doing that myself - I usually go with a firm and steady push until I hear the click, but I was out shooting with some friends recently (before these troubles started) and one of the guys kept banging the mag into the gun (Hollywood style! He seemed fairly new to pistols, though he was otherwise behaving in a safe manner). I told him to take it easy and not bang it but to push it firmly until it clicked into place, but he kept doing it. Needless to say he didn't get to shoot my gun anymore after that. Ever since then I've had the feed issues. Took the mags out and inspected them, comparing them to my Commander mags and saw the dent. It's much more pronounced on one than the other. I hope the internal magazine catch lock isn't bent, but since it's not malfunctioning and still clicking the mags in place, I think it's fine.

I bought a couple new Wilson Combat mags. Not only are they not dented at the top, but they are slightly more curved than the standard Colt mags, which may help initiate the levering-back of the magazine catch lock without damage. Still, I'm getting in the habit of pushing the mag-release button each time I insert a mag, just until it's past that section. I haven't had a chance to test them for better performance, but I suspect I will no longer have this particular feed issue.

New rule: Nobody shoots my carry gun but me and the Missus.

I would expect that was the problem then. That Hollywood crap will do just that, ruin things. I cringe seeing some do that. The other is the swinging a new cylinder full closed in a wheel gun because they saw it on TV. Someone does either of these with one of my Guns they will get one warning please don't do that. If they try it again they will not be shooting anything of mine. I tell them you buy a gun and you can do that Hollywood crap all you want.

Certainly looks like a contact point! Good job!

I was shooting at Clark Rifles, when the RO comes up and starts rummaging through my stuff! This wasn't a big problem, I was a member and knew the old guy. He was a friendly sort, so no biggie. Until the old fool dropped my, hard to find, Star, 40 Firestar mag right on its feed lips! :mad: Aaarrggggh! I just politely asked him not to touch my gear again, but I wanted to slap him silly! Well, no point breeding hard feelings, but the mag was ruined and it took years to find an OEM replacement! :(

the nice thing is, you can probably save that Colt Mag by gently tapping out the bend with a small ball peen hammer ( Tiny Bopper) and it should run just fine! Good luck!:)

Yep. I'm going to see if I can salvage the mag. I probably won't trust it for EDC, but it might work fine as a range/practice mag.

This is kinda a guess because I don't really know how it works on a 1911 but it was probably damaged by someone holding the Mag release button when slamming a new Mag in on my little 380 if I push the Mag release button I can't put a Mag in
It's actually just the opposite because, as I understand it, on a 1911, the magazine catch lock (the thing that seems to have caused the dent) is always protruding and is only withdrawn either by the mag sliding past it (that curved mag-lip edge eases the catch lock back), or by pushing the mag-release button (which pulls the catch lock back out of the path of the incoming mag, or releases an already inserted mag).

It's actually just the opposite because, as I understand it, on a 1911, the magazine catch lock (the thing that seems to have caused the dent) is always protruding and is only withdrawn either by the mag sliding past it (that curved mag-lip edge eases the catch lock back), or by pushing the mag-release button (which pulls the catch lock back out of the path of the incoming mag, or releases an already inserted mag).
Yep I thought about that after I posted my thoughts but like I said I was going buy my little 1911 replica 380 if I hold down the Mag release button I can slam the Mag in but if I don't hold the button down the Mag goes in easy like I said it was a guess but that dent on your Mag was so perfect it looked like it was jammed against the Mag release

I finally had a chance to test out my new mags at a local indoor range.

Still getting failures to feed. No stovepipes, but quite a few issues with the cartridge stuck on the ramp, or not even stripped from the mag. In the latter case, the slide locked open like on an empty magazine. I'd say about 10%-15% stuck on the ramp, and 1%-2% no feed at all. Also, sometimes it happened on the 2nd round, sometimes on one of the last three rounds. Nothing consistent. All FMJ (Federal / Blazer) 230gr.

I need to rule out operator error before I contact Colt. Maybe I'm relaxing my grip? Though it's hard to imagine that happening on the first shot (those 2nd round ramp stickers). Tomorrow I'll try just focusing on my grip and see if I can get 50 rounds out without a FTF. What I really need is for someone familiar with these guns to shoot it and see if the problem occurs. That would be proof positive that I'm just a delicate flower without the manly wrists for a micro-.45.

I've got about 1000-1200 rounds through this gun, and it seems to be getting worse. I hear the recoil spring wears faster on these small guns, so that might be part of it, though 1200 rounds seems pretty low.

I don't know. It's getting a bit frustrating for me.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top