JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had lots of fail to feed on my little gun took a drimal light sanding wheel to the feed ramps on barrel then a buffer wheel to smooth it out I'm talking really light sanding lots of buffing or polishing wheel some say buffing some say polish

I had lots of fail to feed on my little gun took a drimal light sanding wheel to the feed ramps on barrel then a buffer wheel to smooth it out I'm talking really light sanding lots of buffing or polishing wheel some say buffing some say polish
Yeah, I've heard of people doing that. Some say it helped; others not so much. I'm hesitant to do any Dremel gunsmithing because 1) I'd probably screw it up and 2) it's still under warranty and that would probably void it. If there's anything that needs fixing, I want it to be done by Colt because I paid them a royal sum for a gun that works.

Thanks for the tip, however. I'm just not ready for that level of tinkering yet.

Did you try a different kind of ammo try different ammo then if that doesn't help try polish then I don't know start cheap the go to new barrel

I always hear about feed problems with these small rounds even back in the day I had a .25 cal had problems have 380 have problems even some .22 have problems I don't know try different ammo and go from there

I'm just remember I tried different ammo then went to polishing feed ramps then went to sand and polish but I was and still working with old gun it's getting better not as many failed feed but I still get them I just found a barrel for the old Star 380 online so I can keep trying to figure it out good luck with your problems

On the theory that the recoil springs have worn out (something that can happen fairly soon on sub-compacts), I ordered a couple new sets from Wolff. When they arrive, I'll test it again.

Okay. Got the new springs from Wolff. Installed them in about 15 minutes. Didn't poke my eye out, which is good.

Previously to ordering the new springs, I tested the gun with 49 rounds and had 5 FTF's. The test below is after replacing the recoil springs.

Ran 56 rounds through it this evening. Same results: FTF on 6 rounds. Here's the breakdown by mag and round sequence:

FTF-DefenderTest.jpg

Note the problems on the second round in mags 1, 6 & 7. This suggests to me a problem beyond mere limp-wristing; when I started a new mag, I went nice and slow, focused on my stance, and especially grip.

Now if the problem IS limp-wristing, (which I'm not ready to totally eliminate as a possibility), then it's clear this is not the gun for me because it's obviously too sensitive for my delicate girly-man artist wrist.

If the problem IS NOT limp-wristing, then it's probably the gun (I've got new mags that I've cleaned prior to both this test and the previous 49-round test with 5 FTFs).

If it is the gun, I don't want to send it to Colt. I've heard too many horror stories lately of months long waits. Also, Colt has been undergoing some personnel shakeups and financial problems, which makes me reluctant to trust them.

What I need is an experienced 1911 shooter familiar with the Defender to shoot it and see if the problem continues. If the problem disappears, then the problem is me and it's time to go with a larger model (LW Commander) with a more forgiving recoil system.

If the problem persists for an experienced shooter, then I need to find a local gunsmith who specializes in Colt and 1911's OR sell this Defender and move up the Commander anyway.

Frankly, I'm rapidly approaching the point where I give up on this size of gun and just go with the Commander.

Sigmadog I feel your frustration. I too have had challenges with the bitty sub-compact pistols. I am now down to only one - an early Colt Mustang in .380. Why this one? Simple, it works every time and has since the mid 1990's. Best wishes on your quest.

Good luck with your Colt. I would send it back myself.

When I was researching 1911s to purchase my first I was surprised at how many compacts had feeding problems compared to the Government length. One of the reasons mine are 5".

I would think a good Smith could get her sorted . But it's a new Colt and the thing should work from the factory. The name Colt used to mean something. Good luck.

Okay, someone on another forum suggested adjusting the extractor tension. I watched a video from Wilson Combat on Why an extractor might need adjusting and how to do it. I made a slight adjustment on the extractor based on that info.

Today I went out shooting with the Missus and her dad. Since we were mainly out for fun I didn't keep track of my rounds and mag loads, but I shot about 75 rounds and had 3 FTF issues. That's a drop from 11% failure to around 4% after adjusting the extractor.

Curiously, two of the FTFs were from the slide-lock engaging when there were still rounds in the mag. Would that be extractor related, or mag-related? I'm thinking mag, but am open to alternatives.

At any rate, it's nice to be moving in the right direction. Hopefully I can make further adjustments to get it down to 1% or less failure rate.

Starting to like my gun again...

Okay, someone on another forum suggested adjusting the extractor tension. I watched a video from Wilson Combat on Why an extractor might need adjusting and how to do it. I made a slight adjustment on the extractor based on that info.

Today I went out shooting with the Missus and her dad. Since we were mainly out for fun I didn't keep track of my rounds and mag loads, but I shot about 75 rounds and had 3 FTF issues. That's a drop from 11% failure to around 4% after adjusting the extractor.

Curiously, two of the FTFs were from the slide-lock engaging when there were still rounds in the mag. Would that be extractor related, or mag-related? I'm thinking mag, but am open to alternatives.

At any rate, it's nice to be moving in the right direction. Hopefully I can make further adjustments to get it down to 1% or less failure rate.

Starting to like my gun again...
Sounds like the rounds are pushing the slide stop up.
Maybe post a pic of the feed ramp relationship.. like

upload_2017-7-1_22-32-49.jpeg

hopefully the barrel isn't hanging over the frame part of the ramp.
Are your bullets getting gouged by the ramp?
Anyway, I'd consider a good revolver way before a stubby 1911 for serious social work.

Seriously now..... any weapon you carry for self-defense should eat hundreds and hundreds of rounds @ 100% before you should bet your life on it. I hope you're not using it as an EDC in the meantime because a 4% failure rate is still worthy of Murphy.

Sounds like the rounds are pushing the slide stop up.
Maybe post a pic of the feed ramp relationship.. like

View attachment 373880

hopefully the barrel isn't hanging over the frame part of the ramp.
Are your bullets getting gouged by the ramp?
Anyway, I'd consider a good revolver way before a stubby 1911 for serious social work.
I didn't mean this post to seem mean. I have been following you to a degree.. from your query about this pistol before buying through your various present travails. probably said some stuff along the way, of course. All guns are good and fun.. but if'n you want.. nevermind.
If I was set on carrying a gat like that and it didn't work, I'd toss it to a good smith and pray to the Jesus daily just to be safe.

FWIW I was going to buy one of those Colt Defenders, because I love the look of them, but I got a good deal on a used Springfield EMP, and, so far so good. So I gotta think there's something to this "small 1911 designed from the ground up" angle that Springfield is pushing.

My feeling is any gun I don't shoot well I just sell to someone else. So everything I have I not only enjoy shooting but feel I can rely on.

You could get good money for your little Colt, some people collect those.

Going to find a good 1911 gunsmith and have him look at it. If that doesn't solve the problem, this gun is gone.

The last time I shot this gun was Saturday with the wife's dad (see "Scary bad trigger discipline") and according to my informal count, I shot about 70 rounds with only 3 failures, only 1 of which was a failure to feed. This was after adjusting the extractor, so that's good news as it seems I'm getting a handle on the FTF issue. I need to do more testing and maybe further slight adjustments to eliminate this problem.

The problem is that the other two failures were premature slide lock-back (the slide locks back after firing with rounds still left in the mag). I didn't think this was extractor related.

In talking to the gunsmith today, he thought the slide lock-back problem may be related to the slide lock and/or slide stop plunger spring assembly. That is, he thought it might be a bad fit issue.

He suggested I compare the assembly on my Defender to the one on my LW Commander. They are the same parts, so any differences in form or fit could be a "tell" of a problem there. So I came home and removed the slide, barrel and recoil springs on both guns and inserted the slide locks. Sure enough, the Defender slide lock seemed to have a bit more play and was easier to move up and down. I switched slide locks to see if that was the problem and it remained loose on the Defender, but reasonably tight on the Commander.

I removed the slide locks and using a flat-head screwdriver, depressed the Slide Stop Plunger on both guns. The Defender plunger depressed more easily than the Commander. This suggests to me a weak plunger assembly in the Defender which is allowing enough play in the slide stop to throw it up occasionally when firing, thereby stopping the slide.

I've ordered a new plunger assembly for my Defender.

The bright side of all this is that I'm learning a hella lot about my gun and 1911's. I don't know how long it's gonna take but I'm gonna beat this gun into submission yet!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads