JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think anyone here was trying to hurt your feelings or anything. There was a lot of good/valuable input.
Me, I'd put it up for $600 and see what happens. You might get lucky and you can always come down. But me, that's a $450 gun if it works and has low rounds.
good luck

I agree with Certaindeaf on this as far as a selling tactic. I think everyone else is on track with the "parts gun" approach, especially if being looked at by anyone with some decent 1911 experience. Not everyone that will want to look at this gun will be well informed. I don't mean that the OP should try to stick a bad gun on someone, but if it's a shooter and he finds someone that wants to pluck down $550 for it, it's certainly his gain.
I'm not keen on the finger thingie on the frame, but someone else just might have wet dream over it.
Put it up for $600ish. It looks nice and it says Colt. Neither of those hurt.

$600 would seem fair to me,but I always like the look of those Safari Arms frames.
Personally I'd be willing to pay between $550-$700 if everything was in great shape.
I might be slightly biased though because I've been wanting a Safari Arms 1911 since I first saw one.
If it was an all original Colt I would actually be less interested,unless it was a Gold Cup in stainless.

Lots of good input here, ibdont have any thing to add, but, those Safari frames are pretty cool, and with the Colt top end, you have a nice shooter grade piece! Keep it and use it, or post it up at a good price and see what happens! Good luck!

As someone that is in the market for both a 1911 and an heirloom gun, I would encourage you to keep it. I wish I had something my dad, or grandfather put time and skill into building, but Dad just got into guns a few years ago, and I got grandads KBar but the guns went elsewhere. As a prospective buyer, I'm finding myself being extremely picky. I've looked at hundreds of 1911's and can't seem to find that combo of beauty, collectability, and originality that I want. It is a buyers market right now, and with so much out there, mismatched parts can be a deal buster. Even your average gun buyer with minimal knowledge knows to watch out for mismatched AR 15's, as they are likely home builds, and even though they probably great guns that will last forever, they will pass in favor of a factory gun... and even though 1911's are a little harder to put together it's going to be the same story.
Sucks but it's how it is.
I passes on a brand new Remington 1911 at sportsmans friday...$350 after rebate!

Yes but what you start with matters.

A $10,000 paint job on a rusted VW bug. Dose not make it worth 10K.

A $10,000 paint job on a NON rusted VW bug, does not make it worth $10,000 + the price of the bug.

Buy a Ferrari and replace the tires and wheels with aftermarket. What do you think the Ferrari is worth now? NOT the price of a Ferrari + the price of blingy wheels.

As mentioned, you have parts from 2 different manufactures pieced together.

As also mentioned, you now have a nice heirloom piece that you can say your dad put together with his own two hands.

Asking the value of something will get you all kinds of replies because every man's wallet has different weight in it. The real value of anything is what the seller is willing to take for it. In other words you set what it' worth to you.

If you plan to sell it because of one reason or another then study it and write up what it is you want to sell. As a parts gun you will get more for it if good parts were used so discribe what went into the parts gun. Wilson parts will bring more than some unknown brand etc. Help yourself by learning.

Asking the value of something will get you all kinds of replies because every man's wallet has different weight in it. The real value of anything is what the seller is willing to take for it. In other words you set what it' worth to you.

If you plan to sell it because of one reason or another then study it and write up what it is you want to sell. As a parts gun you will get more for it if good parts were used so discribe what went into the parts gun. Wilson parts will bring more than some unknown brand etc. Help yourself by learning.

My guess is even if your wallet is heavier than mine we would pay close to the same price. Its called fair market value. There are exceptions but for the most part thats the way it is. IMHO

My guess is even if your wallet is heavier than mine we would pay close to the same price. Its called fair market value. There are exceptions but for the most part thats the way it is. IMHO

From just the pictures it's hard to say what it' really worth. Does it have a Bomar barrel or briely bushing, is if full of mim parts or Wilson parts. The fair market value deserves a good discription of what's for sale and other than looking at the slide and frame how can true value be determined?

Plus what you would pay compared to what I would pay won't allways be determined by fair market value because we see what is fair through different eyes. An example is collectables, I may want it more than you do so I would pay more. Just opinion.:D

I have noticed guys will say what something is worth even when they wouldn't ever buy it for that much. If I declared a value I would give them that much.

If you read all of this Thread you will answer some of your questions. This was put together in the '70-'80s with a Safari Frame that came from a Casting Company in Island Pond Vermont. The Slide and Barrel are marked as Colt. Since the Builder is no longer with us the rest is pretty much a crap shoot as to who made which parts.:)

How good of smith was he? Since it wasn't posted he could have been a parts junkie or someone who knew how to build a fine gun. Shooting in those days the Colt barrels were pretty good but sometime you had to weld the lugs to get consistent accuracy. Was the frame rails tightened or maybe a NM bushing put in, we don't know so myself I would refrain from giving a price. That's just me though, I have to really look close to give a value.

How good of smith was he? Since it wasn't posted he could have been a parts junkie or someone who knew how to build a fine gun. Shooting in those days the Colt barrels were pretty good but sometime you had to weld the lugs to get consistent accuracy. Was the frame rails tightened or maybe a NM bushing put in, we don't know so myself I would refrain from giving a price. That's just me though, I have to really look close to give a value.

He was a smith and dealer for 20 years.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top