JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Actually, NO, Colorado cannot charge you for the Mags, thanks to the grandfathering they did, unless they can prove you purchased after the ban went into effect, NOT GOING to stick! and we all know that they don't have a serial number so no way to prove when it was made or sold, and by who! The law is a bad joke, and with "Kits" and a simple hole drilled through the mag body at the 10 round mark, it's compliant any way!
I can carry pretty much any where in state with out issue other then Boulder, and even there, some one would have to know you had a gun on you and then turn you in which is going to get the person doing the turning in counter sued! It's already happend, ( in Aspen) and it stuck, so now there is president!

Actually, NO, Colorado cannot charge you for the Mags, thanks to the grandfathering they did, unless they can prove you purchased after the ban went into effect, NOT GOING to stick! and we all know that they don't have a serial number so no way to prove when it was made or sold, and by who! The law is a bad joke, and with "Kits" and a simple hole drilled through the mag body at the 10 round mark, it's compliant any way!
I can carry pretty much any where in state with out issue other then Boulder, and even there, some one would have to know you had a gun on you and then turn you in which is going to get the person doing the turning in counter sued! It's already happend, ( in Aspen) and it stuck, so now there is president!
People have been charged for high capacity mags. Sure you can say you got em beforehand but costs you one way or another. Not to say it always happens but it did happen before. And it doesn't help our buddy that he is in Denver where mags aren't grandfathered and will count for two separate laws, one banning "assault weapons" (basically have a 30 round mag inside), and said magazine.

Hopefully he doesn't actually live IN Denver.

As long as you don't go running around being stupid and get popped, you are fine, and the Sheriffs have flat out refused to enforce any thing anti 2nd so far! My County Sheriff is also a drinkin buddy and neighbor and he doesn't care for the ban one bit, nor do any of his deputies and it also affects them personally!

There is absolutely no way for them to prove without a doubt when you purchased the magazine and when it was manufactured. Because magazines do not have serial numbers with manufacturing dates it would be such a complex case that it would not be able to stick ..

There has only been a few cases of people being busted with these magazines and they only pinned these charges on people who had prior criminal records as a plea agreement. Basically , the person took the lesser high cap magazine charge compared to the more serious charges they could have been facing.

There are still stores in Colorado selling magazines over 30 rounds (not just 15 rounds) in a blunt defiance of the law. Nobody is going into the stores and arresting the gun shop owners, either. You can go to Wyoming and purchase magazines as well.. It is not far from Denver. It would cost the state so much money and resources to try to prosecute people over this that it is, in effect, not enforced. The only thing this ban achieved was prohibiting the larger gun stores from selling these mags. However, they sill kits that easily will modify your magazines back to 30rd capacity and they are widely available.

If you carry a magazine with 20 rounds in Denver, you will still not be arrested for it unless you are breaking some other type of law. As well, there has yet to be a recorded case of even one single person being prosecuted under Denver's 20 round Assault Weapon law.

Don't give off negative energy and you don't get shot, most of police shooting an innocent person is when they go to the wrong house (this applies regardless of state).

You MAY get charged with a misdemeanor (my area you typically get asked to leave then they enforce it after). However, it isn't at least or. You do not get a felony outright for it, only on second visit if charged the first time.

Here we don't need to go to the store to begin with.
False, only certain ones (and they'll have a sign letting you know). I told you this before. Signs MAY result in a violation.
Good lawyer makes em petty, and good lawyers are cheap in my neck of the woods.
I have thoroughly studied the laws of North Carolina (in addition to taking the 8 hour class, I got a perfect score on my NC CHL test) and there is nothing I wrote that is inaccurate. If you justifying the laws of North Carolina because they not heavily enforced, then why would you condemn Colorado for having anti-2A that are also not enforced? And, yet, I have heard of some bad stories in North Carolina from people not properly informing law enforcement they are carrying a gun and then being dragged out of their car by their throat and arrested after the officer runs their plates and sees they have a concealed handgun license after all. All this is because many gun owners are not aware that in North Carolina it is a felony not to inform a police officer you are carrying. In Tennessee, there is no such MUST INFORM laws and it gets people in trouble if they move to North Carolina and don't take this 8 hour course.

Yes, Charlotte would be like Denver in some ways being the big liberal urban center of the state. I do not live in Denver, itself. I don't know , but I feel like Denver is a much more gun friendly city than Charlotte, despite the fact Charlotte has one of the coolest gun stores/indoor ranges in the country, Blackstone Shooting Sports. I did join Blackstone, but sadly left before I could even try out the range.

Aside from school, most of which I did online anyways, I have never been somewhere where I couldn't carry.
Bobo, you really need to take that 8 hour NOrth Carolina CHL course. I would advise anyone living in a state with so many restrictions to seriously review the laws if they are going to conceal carry (or even open carry). THere are, in fact, many places in North Carolina you are not allowed to carry besides a school.. DMV, Waste Disposal Sites, No Gun Sign businesses/ residences, places that charge Admission (Movie Theaters).. Almost every mall, bank and business in Charlotte area i saw had no gun signs.. These have force of law..

North Carolina is a great state and don't get me wrong. Yes, the big cities are pretty liberal and anti-gun overall. Sadly, for those of us who need work, sometimes living in or near the city is the only option and I regret that is my situation.

Last Edited:
If you justifying the laws of North Carolina because they not heavily enforced, then why would you condemn Colorado for having anti-2A that are also not enforced?
One doesn't penalize possession vs other that does.
Bobo, you really need to take that 8 hour NOrth Carolina CHL course. I would advise anyone living in a state with so many restrictions to seriously review the laws if they are going to conceal carry (or even open carry). THere are, in fact, many places in North Carolina you are not allowed to carry besides a school.. DMV, Waste Disposal Sites, No Gun Sign businesses/ residences, places that charge Admission (Movie Theaters).. Almost every mall, bank and business in Charlotte area i saw had no gun signs.. These have force of law..
Either the NC DOJ is wrong or your class is wrong. You can carry in state owned places if not stated otherwise, as per the NC DOJ. Oh and you can conceal carry in places that charge admission as long as it isn't posted, as per the NC DOJ. So who is wrong, DOJ or the class?

Before telling me I need to take the course again, I'm referring to what the NC DOJ says.

One doesn't penalize possession vs other that does.

Either the NC DOJ is wrong or your class is wrong. You can carry in state owned places if not stated otherwise, as per the NC DOJ.
I have the huge NC law book and spend an entire day learning these laws and being tested on them.. I also spent a considerable amount of time on the NC DOJ website studying the various firearm laws right from the source. In theory, they don't have to post anything if it is a prohibited property. Prohibited locations are not required to post NO GUN SIGNS to have the force of law, since they are already prohibited and you are suppose to know the law. I am pretty sure this is what is written on the DOJ website, but if you can provide a link proving otherwise, I would be interested to see.

An example is that the DMV in Statesville did not have any visible No Gun Signs. Yet ,if I carried a gun into this location I would have committed a Class A Misdemeanor w/Weapon violation (meaning goodbye gun rights).

Oh yes, one more strike with North Carolina's CHL law.. If you were discharged from the military under anything else but honorable conditions you will be denied a CHL. This does not mean a dishonorable discharge, which many states will bar you from obtaining a CHL. Sometimes people have run into trouble that inhibited them from staying in the military and it is not always due to a dishonorable discharge. North Carolina is perhaps the only state that considers this a condition to void you from your 2nd AMendment right of being able to carry a firearm concealed.

I have the huge NC law book and spend an entire day learning these laws and being tested on them.. I also spent a considerable amount of time on the NC DOJ website studying the various firearm laws right from the source. In theory, they don't have to post anything if it is a prohibited property. Prohibited locations are not required to post NO GUN SIGNS to have the force of law, since they are already prohibited and you are suppose to know the law. I am pretty sure this is what is written on the DOJ website, but if you can provide a link proving otherwise, I would be interested to see.

Oh yes, one more strike with North Carolina's CHL law.. If you were discharged from the military under anything else but honorable conditions you will be denied a CHL. This does not mean a dishonorable discharge, which many states will bar you from obtaining a CHL. Sometimes people have run into trouble that inhibited them from staying in the military and it is not always due to a dishonorable discharge. North Carolina is perhaps the only state that considers this a condition to void you from your 2nd AMendment right of being able to carry a firearm concealed.
https://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/24bec803-487a-4be0-a113-5c89e2598837/CCH-Carry-Guidelines.aspx

Note that posted signs may strike a violation, not will. Some areas won't bother unless it happens again, but concealed means concealed.

FYI, there are different levels of discharges from thr military, one of which is called "other than honorable" discharge.

I reviewed that DOJ CCH guideline list before and it only confirms what I said. Even with a CHL, you are only permitted to carry your gun in your vehicle on state property or any facility run by NC state employees. Many people don't realize how many different types of facilities might be operated by the state. There is no requirement for the state to post NO GUN signs to enforce a ban on guns in prohibited locations. For example, a school does not need to post a NO GUN sign to still enforce the state law making it a felony to carry on a college campus. Yes, college campuses are not considered different from elementary schools in North Carolina when it comes to gun laws.

I reviewed that DOJ CCH guideline list before and it only confirms what I said. Even with a CHL, you are only permitted to carry your gun in your vehicle on state property or any facility run by NC state employees. Many people don't realize how many different types of facilities might be operated by the state.
"A 'yes' in the block indicates the person in that category can carry in the establishment listed."

As per the NC DOJ. Some state facilities allow it, some don't. Ones that don't limit it to the vehicle.

"A 'yes' in the block indicates the person in that category can carry in the establishment listed."

Yeah, but look at the fine print..

Certain State Property
& Courthouses (This
does not address
Legislative office
properties

YES-- If
Secured
in
Vehicle

Yes, if Secured in Vehicle, which is essentially No.

As far as I learned the laws during my course, you can carry on state property as long as there are no North Carolina state employees operating in the state property. So, you can carry in a Rest area, but not a Rest area with a Welcome Center since there are state employees present there.

After reading the list, I didn't realize it was illegal to carry a gun into a doctor's office or hospital in North Carolina. Add that as an additional strike. In South Carolina, it is against the law to carry a gun into any religious facility, as well. Meaning if I was attending church or synagogue in Charleston, I would be stuck praying for my safety rather than being able to to actually defend myself.

Yeah, but look at the fine print..

Certain State Property
& Courthouses (This
does not address
Legislative office
properties

YES-- If
Secured
in
Vehicle

Yes, if Secured in Vehicle, which is essentially No.

As far as I learned the laws during my course, you can carry on state property as long as there are no North Carolina state employees operating in the state property. So, you can carry in a Rest area, but not a Rest area with a Welcome Center since there are state employees present there.
No, you can carry on state parks and such if you have a CCW.

Keep in mind, only "state" building I go to is the DMV, it isn't unheard of for that to be contracted out either (AKA not state owned).

No, you can carry on state parks and such if you have a CCW.
If you read my post above I said you can carry on state property as long as there are not state employees operating there. I think if I was to go in more details that would mean you could carry in a state park, but if there is an "Information Center" with a state employee working in there you could not go inside that Information Center carrying your gun. This can somewhat be thought of as similar to carrying in National Parks, but not being able to go into a Ranger station or any property in the National Park with federal employees operating like an Information or Tourist Center.

If you read my post above I said you can carry on state property as long as there are not state employees operating there. I think if I was to go in more details that would mean you could carry in a state park, but if there is an "Information Center" with a state employee working in there you could not go inside that Information Center carrying your gun. This can somewhat be thought of as similar to carrying National Parks, but not being able to go into a Ranger station or any property in the National Park with federal employees operating like an Information or Tourist Center.
The law explicitly excludes parks and rest areas, including buildings on there. The state building law clearly specifies which buildings prohibit conceal carry, and its those buildings that require you to leave it in your car. So that welcome center, as it is not included in the law of prohibited buildings, is a place where you can conceal carry.

The law explicitly excludes parks and rest areas, including buildings on there. The state building law clearly specifies which buildings prohibit conceal carry, and its those buildings that require you to leave it in your car. So that welcome center, as it is not included in the law of prohibited buildings, is a place where you can conceal carry.

Bobo, I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but I took this information right from the 47 page North Carolina Firearm Law book that I downlaoded right from the NC DOJ website. I think you should review this instead of that Prohibited Carry Location Cheat Sheet which is very vague.

7. Even with a permit, you may not carry a concealed handgun in the following areas:
a.
Any law enforcement or correctional facility;
b.
Any space occupied by State or federal employees;
c.
Any premises where the carrying of a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting
of a statement by the controller of the premises;
d.
Public educational property, however a permittee may secure a handgun in a locked
vehicle;
e.
Areas of assemblies or demonstrations;
f.
State occupied property;
g.
Any State or federal courthouse;
h.
Any area prohibited by federal law; or
i.
Any local government building if the local government has adopted an ordinance and
posted signs prohibiting the carrying of concealed weapons.

If you want to review the information, yourself, you can view it in PDF format right from the NC DOJ website. I think it answers all the questions and can end this debate. As stated on Page 45 of the NC Firearm law booklet that you are prohibited from carrying in any location occupied by state or federal employees, irrespective of whether or not there are NO GUN signs posted and if you have a concealed handgun license

https://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx

Bobo, I hate to be a bearer of bad news, but I took this information right from the 47 page North Carolina Firearm Law book that I downlaoded right from the NC DOJ website. I think you should review this instead of that Prohibited Carry Location Cheat Sheet which is very vague.

If you want to review the information, yourself, you can view it in PDF format right from the NC DOJ website. I think it answers all the questions and can end this debate. As stated on Page 45 of the NC Firearm law booklet that you are prohibited from carrying in any location occupied by state or federal employees, irrespective of whether or not there are NO GUN signs posted and if you have a concealed handgun license

https://www.ncdoj.gov/getdoc/32344299-a2a7-4ae5-99fd-9018262f64ac/NC-Firearms-gun-Laws.aspx
Page 29 of the same booklet
"It is also unlawful under State law, for any person to possess or carry a weapon not used for instructional or officially sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in the State Capitol Building, Executive Mansion, Western Residence of the Governor, or on the grounds of these buildings, including any building used to house any court of the General Court of Justice. Possessing or carrying a weapon in these areas is a misdemeanor. Of note, a person may possess an ordinary pocket knife (as defined in 14-269 (d) and Section III. A. of this publication) in the State Capital Building or on the grounds of the State Capital Building. Persons exempted by the provisions of N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-269(b) are not bound by this prohibition. These persons are set forth in Paragraph III. A. of this publication."

In the section of prohibited areas.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads