Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Collector or Practical-ist?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by boxer13, Oct 23, 2011.

1. boxer13

boxer13 PNW Active Member

So I find myself fighting well myself over my gun purchases. I have two conflicting views on my purchases.

1. Collector- I want to amass a large assortment of firearms, all kinds, flavors, calibers. Even if it is not something I particularly need or is practical in any way.

2. Utility- These fall into the firearms I may actually "need" but haven't bought because some other factor wins out (i.e. the collector mindset)

I find this difficult to balance, as I may purchase something that fits the collector type of role but offers little to any practicality. It may be awesome sitting in my closet or when I hold it. But isn't nearly as awesome as some other more practical weapons especially on the firing line.

Not to mention that said collector piece may have expensive/uncommon ammo, parts, or aftermarket support.

Just wondering if I'm the only one who has this problem or if I am just weird.

Do any of you fall into either of these categories or something entirely different.

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

I use to have a "want vs. need" attitude and at the time I had a Glock 17, a10/22, a 700 in .30-06 and a Winchester 1300 12 gauge, so really I didn't need anything else, maybe another handgun could be justified. Then I came to the realization that I am an adult and if I want something, as long as I can afford it there is no reason why I shouldn't have it. As far as firearms are concerned they hold there value very well and typically can be turned and sold if your fascination in them wanes. You may take a bit of a money hit, but you can either look at that as you "renting" the firearm or as tuition for lessons learned.

3. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie Albany Well-Known Member

I have a collector mentality when it comes to military uniforms and gear; but a practicalist mindset when it comes to firearms, seeing as I cannae afford everything i want :eek:

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Well I do both. I started with a core of guns. These are ones with a real point being CCW, SHTF, Hunting, Plinking, ect.

Now days I just buy what I want (not that I didnt before). I do it cause I enjoy guns, it is one of my hobbies. So what if it takes odd ammo if you have your core guns/ammo built up. I have some "rare" calibers that I have less then 100 rds for. I do have reloading supplies for them but these are also guns that would be lucky to see 100 rds in a year. They are not part of my core so why do I need 1k of ammo for them especially if it is expensive or hard to come by.....

You may also find that things change with time and quantity. Of course I want one of every gun out there and the ammo to feed it with a place to store it all. I dont have the funds for that though. For the last decade or so I have bought a lot of guns. Now I have not been doing as much. Sometimes it is cause I see a good deal but "realize" I dont need another one like that. Or ask myself what am I going to do with it. The other big problem I run into is price. With guns there are some new ones out there I want but I am not willing to pay the price they want. Same goes for ammo. I hardly ever shoot my 7.62x39's any more and we use to blast cases of ammo out of them cause ammo was $60/k on sale at the time. The last several cases I bought were $90/k shipped and now it is over 2x that.

Of course I have come up with some new hobbies that have taken up a bit of my time and money but I still keep that core ready and my core skills. The "collection" sits but it will not go bad or be worth less any time soon.

5. Sun195

Sun195 Pugetropolis, WA Well-Known Member

I'm more of a collector - I've got stuff that I really have no need for, and rarely shoot. But, I like having them because they "round out my collection".

If I was being practical, I would have quit buying guns a long time ago.