JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Boy there is so much misinformation on this thread.

I understand the OP original rant. But consider this: suppose a crash happens on this stretch of freeway. From where do the first responders come? Who do you suppose finances that? I'd say Coburg has a vested interest in making sure the freeway is used as safely as possible.

I'm sure violations issued by the Coburg police are cited into Coburg Municipal Court. From the coburgoregon.org:
The Municipal Court is the judicial branch of the City of Coburg government. It has jurisdiction over all City and State law offenses committed within the Coburg City Limits, other than felonies.

Having learned that the city keeps nearly all of the money paid by those "convicted" in their court, the money likely goes into the "general fund" of the city and is used to finance the police, court, and fire department.

As for OSP being short staffed, I've heard of that since the mid '80's. I think they want and like it that way. A real difference can be made by disbanding OSP and giving thos funds to and letting the local sheriff's office patrol the highways, the state dept of justice handle the crime lab and the more complex cases requiring special expertise, and ODFW handle the fish and game patrol. This would get rid of a bunch of dead weight currently occupied by middle and upper management. You know, the guys who never go out on actual patrol and handle actual services to the public.

I'm not referring to the highways and byways. They run directly through towns, have varied speeds and actually impact the town itself! I see all kinds of cops on those too. Interstate 5 has a completely different make up of traffic, some of which are simply using it to pass through Oregon. Whereas highways and byways tend to carry more local traffic (Oregon residents). Not always the case I know but more so than the interstate. If you see a CITY cop ON I-5 running radar, I'd love to hear it. Not just, I saw a city cop driving on I-5 today.

Let's see, in the Portland metro area, I personally have seen the following agencies actually sit on the side of I-5/I-205, running radar/laser..

Wilsonville PD
Tualitin PD
Tigard PD
Portland PD
West Linn PD

In Washington state, I very rarely ever see anyone but State on the side of the road with Laser/radar.

How many out of towners on their way up or down I-5 are going to contest a speeding ticket if they have to drive all the way back to Coburg to apper? I wouldn't.

In all my years of driving I-5 (50k per year) from Medford to pdx, I've never once seen a city cop running radar on I-5, except Coburg.

CCSO and Wilsonville, Tigard, Tualatin PD's are always out there.

Oregon State Police has faced severe reductions in staffing over the last 10+ years and now encourages local law enforcement to patrol/cite on state highways that run through or are adjacent to their jurisdiction.

I am not trying to start the fight but where did you get this data from? OSP had been increasing number in the past 5 years. They are hiring constantly year around in all the field and background. You can apply a JoB with OSP and you will get interview as long as you meet all their requirements. Lately they been hired a lot of sheriffs that got laid off from the counties due to budgets cut a know quite few people from Josephine COUNTY Sheriffs work with OSP after they got laid off by the county couple years ago.

Funny how most responses lump in OSP and sheriff patrols, not what this thread is about. And you will never, never stop folks from speeding. Someone may be cruising along having a conversation and change their speed by 5mph without noticing. Its those folks id like to make aware of going through coburg. I'm happy for all of you on here who can go the speed limit. Read Modelers link if you haven't already, it gets to the point of this thread.

What is a little funny though, is that no one is saying the officers were stopping people that were not speeding. That is what I never understood. These people being stopped and ticketed WERE ACTUALLY SPEEDING! That was never in dispute. It was simply the motiviation behind the enforcement. And even now, if you travel through that area, you will see Coburg PD out there sometimes. I traveled through that area for work and never saw a cop there. My wife traveled through that area as well... Got cited by Eugene PD at the north end of their city- ON I5!

What does their motivation matter Adam12? If someone is breaking the law, they are breaking the law. They deserve to get caught. As long as it's done in a legal and professional manner then it's all good. If we didn't speed they wouldn't make enough money to make the speed traps worthwhile.

Don't sweat the petty things... :)

Yes Adam12, as the title of the thread states, I believe they are solely in it for some cash. No dispute with you that the folks are exceeding the speed limit and therefore "breaking the LAW".

What does their motivation matter Adam12? If someone is breaking the law, they are breaking the law. They deserve to get caught. As long as it's done in a legal and professional manner then it's all good. If we didn't speed they wouldn't make enough money to make the speed traps worthwhile.

Don't sweat the petty things... :)

Their motivation matters greatly to me. Policemen and women are to be honorable and respectable since they have greater responsibility than the average citizen. When you have a corrupt police chief looking for personal gain and not having the best interest of their community in mind, all deserve to hear the facts. So their motivation for pulling folks over is of concern to me when it no longer centers on protecting and serving the community.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top