JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The upper receiver is basically just garbage. Ruger torques the bejesus out of them and good luck getting a barrel out without destroying the receiver. I dont even bother. Slice right across the top with a pencil wheel and smack it with a cold chisel to break the receiver . Heat it with a torch to melt the Loctite and unscrew the barrel. A barrel for $7 is a freakin' bargain. Those can be made to fit any Mark Ruger but its certainly no drop in. .Good solid 4 minutes with of machine work involved.

View attachment 1433092View attachment 1433095
Lol.
My old neighbor was a gifted fabricator .
His labor took minutes too, but he counted them as billable hours.

The upper receiver is basically just garbage. Ruger torques the bejesus out of them and good luck getting a barrel out without destroying the receiver. I dont even bother. Slice right across the top with a pencil wheel and smack it with a cold chisel to break the receiver . Heat it with a torch to melt the Loctite and unscrew the barrel. A barrel for $7 is a freakin' bargain. Those can be made to fit any Mark Ruger but its certainly no drop in. .Good solid 4 minutes with of machine work involved.

View attachment 1433092View attachment 1433095
Is the receiver cast? I always wondered. I know Ruger casts a ton of stuff.

Is the receiver cast? I always wondered. I know Ruger casts a ton of stuff.
No, They do have one of the worlds best investment casting plants but the Mark series upper is and has always been just a piece of machined pipe.

Lots of non Ruger stuff comes out of that Prescott factory.

1955 Ruger Standard

IMG-1390.jpg IMG-1391 (1).jpg

Last Edited:
I'll tell you what. If I could have a constant supply of Ruger Standards I'd build only those . The receivers are 1" diameter. . Later receivers are .020" smaller for some reason. MUCH easier to get integral suppressor tubes to match up. That and the safety can be modified to act as a bolt stop.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top