JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
IMG-0458.jpg

You have spare Ruger mk series grip frames laying around?

Ugggh.
You don't?

Barrel in that one is 3.5" long with 10 radial baffles.

I bought 24 complete Ruger Mark 4 uppers last week for $7 a piece. . The barrels are easily modified to fit older Rugers and I use them to make Hi Standard barrels out of. Bill Ruger conveniently put the extractor cut and feed ramp in exactly the same place. Yes, That was 7 dollars for new Ruger barreled uppers.

I know the upper ( firearm part) is dime a dozen .
The lowers just seem elusive around here. Unless you want to pay VQ prices and order aftermarket.
Been buying those up whenever I see them for 25 years. Ive bought some terribly crappy Rugers over the years as parts guns.

This is a 1954 Standard model I'm finishing tomorrow as an integral with a New Mark IV barrel

IMG-1374.jpg

Any chance you saved the grips?
Specifically the old wood grips from a standard model. They look and feel like someone made them out of creosote soaked pier blocks.
Ive only got one set and its going on the above gun. Ruger used to sell replacement wood standard grips but that was 20 years ago. Thats when I got the ones I have.

You don't?

Barrel in that one is 3.5" long with 10 radial baffles.

I bought 24 complete Ruger Mark 4 uppers last week for $7 a piece. . The barrels are easily modified to fit older Rugers and I use them to make Hi Standard barrels out of. Bill Ruger conveniently put the extractor cut and feed ramp in exactly the same place. Yes, That was 7 dollars for new Ruger barreled uppers.
Damn! 7 bucks a pop!

I have absolutely no use or need but I'd still have given it a thought or two.

Also, this totally reminds me of an earlier post in another one of your threads about a crank activated something. Or maybe just a volly fire type thing.

wait, wut?
7 dollars a gun? Where? Did you get them all at once on your BGC? How does this work?
It's not as cool as it sounds. The upper is the serialized part , thus requiring a ffl. You still need the grip frame ( lower) and various guts. Ruger mk type builds go from a couple hundred $$ up into the thousands pretty easily.
My buddy in Texas has around $2400 I'm his mk4 at the moment. And it's not quite done yet.

Damn! 7 bucks a pop!

I have absolutely no use or need but I'd still have given it a thought or two.

Also, this totally reminds me of an earlier post in another one of your threads about a crank activated something. Or maybe just a volly fire type thing.
Rugers, Hi Standard, Colts etc . Most of those those early to mid 20th century .22's use the same grip angle so the feed ramps are interchangeable and layout of the extractor is usually the same . Bill Ruger was nothing if not derivative. . The Ruger barrels are so fat they can be machined to fit just about anything.

The top barrel is a Ruger mark IV machined to fit a Hi Standard as an integral

IMG-1370.jpg

Sure. Depends on your dealer. Usually you can find someone that charges by the 4473 and not by the piece.
I dont know anything about building Ruger MK pistols, I just thought that for 7 bucks for an upper that would be half the cost of the gun. I dont know where to get a lower, never looked.

Rugers, Hi Standard, Colts etc . Most of those those early to mid 20th century .22's use the same grip angle so the feed ramps are interchangeable and layout of the extractor. The Ruger barrels are so fat they can be machined to fit just about anything.

The top barrel is a Ruger mark IV machined to fit a Hi Standard as an integral

View attachment 1433090
If I recall correctly, Ruger just uses the same hammer forged blanks for just about anything 22lr they make. Making a barrel from one for another pistol is a hell of a good idea, especially if they can be had at that rate.

Enough meat on them to make an AR barrel?

I dont know anything about building Ruger MK pistols, I just thought that for 7 bucks for an upper that would be half the cost of the gun. I dont know where to get a lower, never looked.
Companies buy the complete guns from Ruger solely for the grip frame. They then add their own barrel and receiver. Think Volquartsen. The uppers usually get clearances off to recoup some money and the rest gets made with the cost of the new pistol. Volquartsens start at $1400 to $2000 depending on model. With that, depending on model, you get the Ruger grip frame.

Companies buy the complete guns from Ruger solely for the grip frame. They then add their own barrel and receiver. Think Volquartsen. The uppers usually get clearances off to recoup some money and the rest gets made with the cost of the new pistol. Volquartsens start at $1400 to $2000 depending on model. With that, depending on model, you get the Ruger grip frame.
The upper receiver is basically just garbage. Ruger torques the bejesus out of them and good luck getting a barrel out without destroying the receiver. I dont even bother. Slice right across the top with a pencil wheel and smack it with a cold chisel to break the receiver . Heat it with a torch to melt the Loctite and unscrew the barrel. A barrel for $7 is a freakin' bargain. Those can be made to fit any Mark Ruger but its certainly no drop in. .Good solid 4 minutes with of machine work involved.

IMG-1371.JPG IMG-1373.jpg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads